Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2023, 02:16 PM

17,613 posts, read 13,401,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Since the word "gender" has been hijacked, can we please just say that sports should be separated by SEX? We should be as specific as possible: sex at birth, XX vs XY, penis vs vagina, I don't care what you call it. Just separate by actual male vs female.

Best answer yet.

We never see trans men competing against other real men

Old 05-20-2023, 02:17 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,279,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Since the word "gender" has been hijacked, can we please just say that sports should be separated by SEX? We should be as specific as possible: sex at birth, XX vs XY, penis vs vagina, I don't care what you call it. Just separate by actual male vs female.
Fine with me. I'd support that. You'd just have to get everyone else to support that.

If we have a female competition and a male competition, and specifically avoid the word 'woman', then that side steps the whole culture war aspect of the world of sports awkwardly having to wade into who is a woman and who isn't, and ignoring the whole point in the first place of why men and women's sports are separate.

I know people here will say "but we've always done it this way!" etc., but again, good luck restoring the past.

The only realistic way forward on all this, is a socially neutral solution.

Old 05-20-2023, 02:27 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,715,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Fine with me. I'd support that. You'd just have to get everyone else to support that.

If we have a female competition and a male competition, and specifically avoid the word 'woman', then that side steps the whole culture war aspect of the world of sports awkwardly having to wade into who is a woman and who isn't, and ignoring the whole point in the first place of why men and women's sports are separate.

I know people here will say "but we've always done it this way!" etc., but again, good luck restoring the past.

The only realistic way forward on all this, is a socially neutral solution.
Don't we then need a word to describe an adult female?

This thing with men competing in women's sports, won't last imo.

Old 05-20-2023, 02:27 PM

26,660 posts, read 28,733,368 times
If a man turns into a "woman" then maybe "she" should make the sacrifice of not being able to participate in competitive sports. There is no way, no level of hormones or no time limits that will work to make it a fair contest.

No one can have everything and if you are fortunate enough to get something like a gender/sex change then you are extremly lucky and maybe you just have to be satisfied with that. There are lots of other things you can do. Lots more to do in life than compete in women's sports. Count your blessings and figure out something else that you are good at but you are not going to be competing in actual contests with women. This is from my moderate liberal viewpoint.

Old 05-20-2023, 02:33 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,279,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
If a man turns into a "woman" then maybe "she" should make the sacrifice of not being able to participate in competitive sports. There is no way, no level of hormones or no time limits that will work to make it a fair contest.

No one can have everything and if you are fortunate enough to get something like a gender/sex change then you are extremly lucky and maybe you just have to be satisfied with that. There are lots of other things you can do. Lots more to do in life than compete in women's sports. Count your blessings and figure out something else that you are good at but you are not going to be competing in actual contests with women. This is from my moderate liberal viewpoint.
Rational as that may be, the person in this article apparently doesn't agree, or see it that way. That's why I think reforms to the rules are clearly needed with all this.

Old 05-20-2023, 03:26 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,957,394 times
Good for them. They thought they were competing in a women's competition only to find out that they had to compete against men as well. If sports are going to allow men to compete in women's sports, and vice-versa, then they should just do away with genders all together.

Old 05-20-2023, 03:30 PM

5,171 posts, read 3,778,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
That's what I don't get. If you are a competitive athlete, why would you compete in an event where you have an outright advantage?

Lia Thomas was a strong male swimmer but certainly not good enough win medals much less break records.

But there she was with a big grin after winning a women’s swim competition
Rated 500 maybe as a man so I wouldn't call him a competitive male swimmer. He would win the races at the community pool though.

Old 05-20-2023, 03:33 PM

1,880 posts, read 655,640 times
What is the point of competition in the first place?

It is not because you want to achieve something. Because if all you want is to deadlift X weight or run X distance, then just go ahead and do those things.

No, the point of competition is in the meaning of the word itself -- to compare oneself against another. After that comes celebration (win) or reflection (loss) of what happened.

For the ladies who refused to stand at the winners' podium, it sounds harsh but what you did was meaningless. So you refused to stand at number Two and Three. Big deal, sorry. For the man who stand at number One, you provided the competition he wanted. Your Two and Three performances supported his One, which was exactly what he wanted in the first place. He did not wanted the trophy. He wanted you, from number Two to number Ninety Nine. He %99.999 certain that number One was his to take and with that level of certainty, the real trophy are the ladies from number Two to Ninety Nine who sweated and perhaps even cried during the race knowing their efforts are worthless. The trophy was not the goal, numbers Two to Ninety Nine -- were. And you gave yourselves to him once the race started.

Without competition, it is like arguing against one's self. But self challenges only go so far. The real test is facing a real opponent, whether in the intellectual realm or in the sandpit.

If women truly want to make a statement, to truly protect women's sports, then do not compete if you know a man is in your sport. Register to compete but once the starting gun go off, do not race. You take a knee or stand still. You can even cheer for him as he takes off alone. Register to compete says women's sports are still in your ownership, but not racing says a man literally stole that ownership from you.

Old 05-20-2023, 03:48 PM

18,414 posts, read 19,051,059 times
Asked in another thread what you can do about transgender in sports or advertising? This is how, you protest. Make your voices heard. Don’t just sit around moaning on line if this bothers you.

Old 05-20-2023, 04:31 PM

7,966 posts, read 9,180,543 times
A possible way to separate it is by do you have testicles or not and when were they removed. Testes make testosterone after onset of puberty. If you ever made testosterone, even if currently using a hormone blocker, you should be considered to be male.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies