Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2023, 11:30 AM

4,652 posts, read 4,970,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post

How about this? If you hate Pride, don't attend.
Not really an option these days.

Did you even read any of the posts on this thread before you came in and popped off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2023, 12:12 PM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
So it's ok to have churches of hate, filled with angry boomers on half the street corners in most towns in the country shoving their lifestyle choice in everyone's face 7 days a week.

It's ok, that EVERY Sunday is devoted to christian services where those who don't live in the approved manner can be derided.

It's ok for christians to have their own week at Easter, and TWO MONTHS around the christmas hollidays.

It's ok for church people to go door to door seeking people to groom into their cults. When was the last time a gay person beat on your door to invite you to the gay bar?

It's OK for right wing extremists to make hundreds of laws targeting some of the most vulnerable people in society, with the goal of eliminating them by denying necessary medical care. I never thought we'd see that in America, again.

It's ok to strip the rights of people you don't like.

But it's NOT ok, for gay people to get together once a year with others to have a party or a protest.

It's ok to fly the christian nationalist flag, but it's not ok to fly a rainbow flag, in public.

How about this? If you hate Pride, don't attend.
What "Christian nationalist" flag are you even talking about?

I'll let you know when my workplace "encourages" -- or even PERMITS for that matter -- the inclusion of a cross or an Ichthys in my email signature, or "invites" me to watch The Passion of the Christ or God's Not Dead in the workplace and join a panel discussion afterward, or when there's an entire month of Christian symbolism cynically exploited by every business from multinational corporations right down to the corner brewpub for "conservative" marketing cred, or when Pat Robertson drops a TikTok video featuring his face on a Bud Light can.

Old 05-22-2023, 12:31 PM

19,800 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
What "Christian nationalist" flag are you even talking about?

I'll let you know when my workplace "encourages" -- or even PERMITS for that matter -- the inclusion of a cross or an Ichthys in my email signature, or "invites" me to watch The Passion of the Christ or God's Not Dead in the workplace and join a panel discussion afterward, or when there's an entire month of Christian symbolism cynically exploited by every business from multinational corporations right down to the corner brewpub for "conservative" marketing cred, or when Pat Robertson drops a TikTok video featuring his face on a Bud Light can.
Good post. Anyone who thinks that most workplaces are just as open to Christian displays as they are to LGBT pride displays in most cities are probably living in some place like small town Oklahoma or Nebraska. I don't know what the "culture " is in most flyover country, but maybe Christian displays are still okay there. Again, I don't know if that is true or not, but there are plenty of rainbow flags on display here in my rural area, anyway.

Btw, I am an agnostic, but I really hate how it seems that in most places, if one is not completely supportive of what used to be called 'minority' groups, then one risks being shamed or worse. (Or at least that is how it appears to me.)

In my opinion, the term "co-exist" should apply to almost everyone and every group, with the only exception being for people like child molesters.

Old 05-22-2023, 12:33 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,531,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Not really an option these days.

Did you even read any of the posts on this thread before you came in and popped off?
that's not his style. hyperbolic ranting requires no reading.

Old 05-22-2023, 12:36 PM

674 posts, read 333,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
This is just a personal observation but I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same. We used to have Pride near the third week in June. But now we have Pride month. Okay. Around this time of the year I typically see all Memorial Day stuff (sales, American flags, flag raising events, military recognition and memorial ceremonies). This year, all the flag raising events I see advertised are pride flag raisings on June 1st. I was in the store the other day and there is a small Memorial Day section mostly replaced by pride stuff. It reminds me of materialism Christmas creep eating into Thanksgiving. Just an observation. Anyone else?
I have quite a few LGBTQIA+ friends.

They have noticed "Pride creep" too, though it is mostly a function of companies bringing out "Pride gear" and "Pride swag" early because it sells well. Target's Pride line sells especially well and the community starts looking for it in stores around mid-May.

Corporations have created the "creep" because of consumer demand for Pride products.

Actual Pride events are still very much focused during Pride month. I have seen some creep for other events but it seems more logistical than anything else; instead of having a Pride kickball tournament in June when half the team might be on vacation or busy with family stuff (because they're raising children), they reschedule the Pride event to occur before school gets out when everyone is still in town and available to participate.

Most LGBTQIA+ people I know work regular jobs and have regular lives. Most are in relationships or married and many are raising children. They're busy people and June isn't always the best month logistically for them.

Old 05-22-2023, 12:38 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,337,164 times
Quote:

[hysteria removed]

It's ok to fly the christian nationalist flag, but it's not ok to fly a rainbow flag, in public.
Lol, someone is already spouting the newest Democrat talking point. What is the “christian nationalist” flag? Can you show me a picture? Anyway, keep going, tell me more!

Old 05-22-2023, 12:57 PM

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:

It's ok for church people to go door to door seeking people to groom into their cults. When was the last time a gay person beat on your door to invite you to the gay bar?.
First of all, respect is a two way street.

Second, although you find it annoying, it is not illegal for these church people to go door to door

You can even ask them to wait a moment. Go into your home and get a copy of Christopher Hitchens’ classic God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything and offer them a free copy. Go ahead do that, no one will be offended.

I am a straight Christian woman who has been invited to a gay bar by couple of friends. We had a great time and that is it.

There is no need to be so angry.

Old 05-22-2023, 12:59 PM

21,910 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepizza1975 View Post
I have quite a few LGBTQIA+ friends.

They have noticed "Pride creep" too, though it is mostly a function of companies bringing out "Pride gear" and "Pride swag" early because it sells well. Target's Pride line sells especially well and the community starts looking for it in stores around mid-May.

Corporations have created the "creep" because of consumer demand for Pride products.

Actual Pride events are still very much focused during Pride month. I have seen some creep for other events but it seems more logistical than anything else; instead of having a Pride kickball tournament in June when half the team might be on vacation or busy with family stuff (because they're raising children), they reschedule the Pride event to occur before school gets out when everyone is still in town and available to participate.

Most LGBTQIA+ people I know work regular jobs and have regular lives. Most are in relationships or married and many are raising children. They're busy people and June isn't always the best month logistically for them.
It's all about the activism. I can tell you that it's reaching fever pitch here in Florida. They are going to be in your faces big time because of the laws DeSantis recently passed. I have seen it in my red district. It's going to get ugly, especially in Florida.

Old 05-22-2023, 01:49 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
This is just a personal observation but I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same. We used to have Pride near the third week in June. But now we have Pride month. Okay. Around this time of the year I typically see all Memorial Day stuff (sales, American flags, flag raising events, military recognition and memorial ceremonies). This year, all the flag raising events I see advertised are pride flag raisings on June 1st. I was in the store the other day and there is a small Memorial Day section mostly replaced by pride stuff. It reminds me of materialism Christmas creep eating into Thanksgiving. Just an observation. Anyone else?
I don’t ever remember large Memorial Day sections in stores. July 4th yes, not so much Memorial Day, except for bbq stuff. I don’t see any pride-related merchandise near me, but I’m not near a major city or anything.

Old 05-22-2023, 02:17 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,395,706 times
So,e times you just can't get enough of a good thing. If anybody can party that long it would take gays to be that fabulous. Happy gay pride everybody and maybe next year we can add another week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies