Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 02:47 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
They do support Israel, but not in knee-jerk fashion like some Republicans. Dems recognize the the Palestinians have some rights also, and that the situation there is not black and white.
American Jews would not support Democrats if they were as anti-Israel as Republicans paint them. It's a complex situation over there and isn't black and while in reality. It is black and white however if you view it through the lens of a 'Left Behind' novel or a 'Thief in the Night' film.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2023, 03:04 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
You are the second person I have heard say something like this about his wife. Perhaps you could explain where you hear this from. The other would not explain it.
https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...ofile-00097456

“He’s a leader who makes political decisions with the assistance of his wife, who was elected by nobody, who’s blindly ambitious,” said a former DeSantis administration staffer. “And she sees ghosts in every corner.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
They are in the minority...most Americans are pro-Israel.
I am pro-USA! I get tired of hearing about Israel, and wonder how many people have looked seriously at the situation there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
He's not going to need to worry about it as he's not going to be the nominee.
I agree! I don't even know why he is trying, but I suspect the wife made the decision for him per what I have read about her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
As long as he doesn't put China first.
I think many of us are looking for someone that will put the US first, so I guess I know who that would be, and it isn't DeSantis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
This is where I heard it. Of course it's Politico, so will be dismissed out of hand.

That is where I read it. MSM wants to see DeSantis as the nominee, as like many, they know it cannot win in the General Election, so it is hard to find many sources that aren't in full support of him, well, until he would win the primary, which he won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Oh so you mean just like "Dr." Jill Biden does with dementia Joe Biden then?? I'm sure DeSantis doesn't need his wife's help finding the right bathroom or telling him what to say or where to go.
Yeah, I was thinking that, but Biden does have other advisers he listens to, well, that direct his every word and statement to the best of their ability, but with DeSantis, it looks like he listens to his wife on policy issues, not where to use the bathroom, so I see her as more of a liability, since we don't know that much about her, and she would not be the one people were voting for.

Old 05-25-2023, 03:06 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
“When I took office, I promised to make Florida the most pro-Israel state in the United States, and we have been able to deliver on that promise," DeSantis told a captive audience.

DeSantis touts tight Israel ties to woo Evangelical voters at Christian conference
https://www.jpost.com/american-politics/article-743915

Why does every Republican candidate have to kowtow to Israel to get elected? It seems to be a Republican tradition. It would be great if they loved America as much as they do that foreign country.
I agree with this. To me, Israel is just any other country. I am tired of hearing about how we have to support them. No, we do not. That said, it’s not going to sway my primary vote.

Old 05-25-2023, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
It is only "either" "or" in the minds of a tiny minority.

It can be, & is, "both" Desantis puts both America & Israel first....America is 1st in our part of the World, and Israel is 1st in their part of the world.

Israel is a key ally in a large and important part of the world...the Middle East...why does that bother people?

Where do these feelings of anti-semitism come from anyways?
It’s not anti-Semitism, it’s fiscal conservatism and anti-meddling in the affairs of others.

Old 05-25-2023, 03:13 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Will it be on par with the derogatory comments made over the current first lady from the Conservative news sources?
Like what?

Old 05-25-2023, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
This is where I heard it. Of course it's Politico, so will be dismissed out of hand.

I’ll dismiss it after reading through the first parts bc they are picking at her having a stage-dominating presence when she was ASKED to speak, and bc I have never even seen her speak at any of the speeches I’ve seen DeSantis give. A wife will always have influence on her husband behind closed doors. Why did not anybody have an issue with Michelle Obama always being around and being a “strong” woman? Also they have young kids so they probably do spend a lot of time all together. The kids are probably backstage or somewhere with someone watching them when they travel rather than being left home with a nanny.

Old 05-25-2023, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Of course you've heard this, the leftist media is already trying to destroy her, fortunately the rest of us aren't gutter dwelling sexist pigs and will see through the garbage.
Paranoid and strict? Yeah, sounds like total trash since they have nothing else bad to say about her. Good grief.

Old 05-25-2023, 03:17 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times
DeSantis will put his campaign donors first, just like every other politician.

Old 05-25-2023, 03:31 PM

714 posts, read 355,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
I find it bizarre that Christian evangelicals would support a nation that almost wholly rejects Jesus Christ.
Hahaha. Then explain this:
Israel is the only country in the entire region where the Christian population has steadily increased for decades. In fact, the Christians have been fleeing the Arab countries for many years. The main reason is persecution by the Moslem population. The Palestinian territories are a prime example:
"The main factor driving Christian emigration is persecution. In the survey conducted by the Philos Project and the PCPSR, over 40% of Palestinian Christians surveyed indicated that they feel that Muslims do not wish to see them in Palestine. Additionally, 44% feel that there is discrimination against Christians when seeking employment, and 50% describe their economic situation as “bad or very bad.” Nearly 30% have been called a “non-believer” or “crusader” by Muslims." https://forthemartyrs.com/palestines...an-population/

Israel has about four times the percentage of Christians in its population as compared to the Palis, and that spread is rapidly growing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
American Jews would not support Democrats if they were as anti-Israel as Republicans paint them. It's a complex situation over there and isn't black and while in reality. It is black and white however if you view it through the lens of a 'Left Behind' novel or a 'Thief in the Night' film.
Of course there is hardly any conflict in the world which is totally black and white. But this one comes close.

There is an enormous difference between the dispositions of the two peoples. It can be put very simply:
If Hamas/Islamic Jihad and the other Palestinian terrorists would tomorrow morning throw every last bullet into the sea and declare "we want peace", there would very soon be a Palestinian state living beside Israel in peace and security.

If Israel would tomorrow morning throw every last bullet into the sea and declare "we want peace", there would very soon be a second Holocaust!

There is absolutely NO doubt about this.

Old 05-25-2023, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Because most Republicans believe the Rapture is near and that influences Israel policy. In reality, the situation over there is far more complicated. It really is anti-Semitic, since the Third Temple is only needed so Jesus can come back and destroy the unbelieving Jews. We shouldn't be basing our foreign policy on the 'Left Behind' books.
A) not everyone believes in a “rapture” and B) I would not say that “most” believe the end times are approaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies