Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When will the US default
June 2023 6 10.91%
Within next 2 years 8 14.55%
Within next 5 years 6 10.91%
Within next 10 years 4 7.27%
More than 10 years from now or never 31 56.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2023, 09:54 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times

Advertisements

NAACP warns Congress against debt ceiling deal that would 'harm' Black communities

"These proposals play on racist stereotypes masquerading as sound policy," Derrick Johnson, the head of the civil rights organization, wrote in an open letter to Congress sent Wednesday.

In the letter, he laid out his concerns following reports that legislators involved in debt limit negotiations are weighing proposals that would cap federal discretionary spending on programs such as Medicaid, Pell grants and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP.

I wasn't aware that black folk are the only ones receiving benefits from these programs.

Johnson wrote that he was especially appalled by proposals that would toughen work requirements for federal aid programs, something Republicans are pushing for in the talks, which has drawn ire from Democrats.

I guess we are unable to work also. There are plenty of jobs available. Why can't black people work?

Ridiculous...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2023, 09:56 AM

9,509 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
NAACP warns Congress against debt ceiling deal that would 'harm' Black communities

"These proposals play on racist stereotypes masquerading as sound policy," Derrick Johnson, the head of the civil rights organization, wrote in an open letter to Congress sent Wednesday.

In the letter, he laid out his concerns following reports that legislators involved in debt limit negotiations are weighing proposals that would cap federal discretionary spending on programs such as Medicaid, Pell grants and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP.

I wasn't aware that black folk are the only ones receiving benefits from these programs.

Johnson wrote that he was especially appalled by proposals that would toughen work requirements for federal aid programs, something Republicans are pushing for in the talks, which has drawn ire from Democrats.

I guess we are unable to work also. There are plenty of jobs available. Why can't black people work?

Ridiculous...
So the NAACP stereotypes Blacks as being SNAP recipients? Sounds racist to me. The hypocrisy of SJWs is comedy gold.

Old 05-18-2023, 12:06 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Why don't the far-left nutcases simply publish a list all everything that they feel is NOT racist?

It would save time and paper.

Old 05-18-2023, 12:09 PM

43,101 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Life itself will harm "BLACK" communities.

The rest of us...I guess we're acclimated to life.
But those poor Blacks...everyone makes them out to be totally helpless.

Old 05-18-2023, 12:14 PM

588 posts, read 225,218 times
NAACP and their wonderful leadership at the national, state and local levels have just about made themselves 100% irrelevant with their brilliant takes on society.

Old 05-18-2023, 12:15 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Soooo if Congress cannot come to a deal over the debt and they have to default and the Government shuts down that is only going to harm Black communities?

Of course if the Feds did shut down we would all be shocked but I think we would all come to the realization rather quickly that we do not need the Feds and they are the ones messing everything up.

I remember when the Government shutdown under Obama and how mean he was about it. Locally we have the National Seashore. In season there are park rangers, life guards, public bathrooms etc.. but off season they are just big parking lots overlooking 40 miles of beach with biking and hiking trails. Off season there are no Rangers, no services but when the Government shut down Obama had them put up jersey barriers to block off the beaches. What a jerk.

I wonder if the Feds do default IF the beaches will be closed again ?

I wonder if the Southern Border will be closed?

If the Government closes who will be there at the Border to greet the "Migrants" and give them their Golden key to America?

Old 05-18-2023, 12:15 PM

5,983 posts, read 2,236,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Ridiculous...
Where does it say only?
When a Jewish support group states something can harm the Jewish community you take offense to that?
When a Veterans group says a policy can harm Veterans do non-Veterans take offense to that?
When a Men's rights group states a policy or issue in Washington can harm Men are women supposed to be offended immediately?
When a Christian group states a policy can affect Christians should non-Christans be offended by that?
When a European Support Pac states a policy can harm Europe's trade with the US are you immediately offended by that?
When Asian-American groups state something may be harmful to the community they represent do you immediately get offended?

If you not offended by those then why are you always offended by groups supporting African-American talking about concerns they have for that specific community?

Old 05-20-2023, 07:05 PM

4,508 posts, read 1,864,025 times
Default How long before the US defaults on its debt?

What are your thoughts on when the US will default on its debt, and why?

Old 05-20-2023, 07:41 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
What are your thoughts on when the US will default on its debt, and why?
How many times have we seen this "debt ceiling" brinksmanship?

It has become somewhat of a joke, as the politicians use the ceiling as a source of leverage and political drama.

Old 05-20-2023, 07:51 PM

4,508 posts, read 1,864,025 times
“After all the government's borrowing needs are accounted for, debt held by the public rises from $24.3 trillion at the end of 2022 to $46.4 trillion at the end of 2033 in CBO's baseline projections”

Straight from the horses mouth:
https://www.cbo.gov/publication/5894...0Table%201%2D3).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies