Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2023, 04:45 PM

13,741 posts, read 7,999,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Renters in rent controlled homes aren't concerned about high prices since they're locked in to increases that are typically 2% or less, so there already paying below market value. And again, San Francisco and the surrounding area are over capacity as it is. I doubt they would want prices to drop and have exponentially more people. We can agree to disagree.

Yes, the "master tenant" or person(s) whose name is on the lease agreement.

Not too difficult to subsidize your rent (or turn a profit) subleasing a room, a living room or garage etc. when you're the master tenant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2023, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I doubt they would want prices to drop and have exponentially more people.
I'm sure many, many renters would love rents to drop by a good 50%.

As long as rents drop enough for them to afford their own rental and to become a master tenent before the stampede... it's all good.

Old 05-28-2023, 05:13 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,564,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I'm sure many, many renters would love rents to drop by a good 50%.

As long as rents drop enough for them to afford their own rental and to become a master tenent before the stampede... it's all good.
Like I said, agree to disagree. My previous comment can stand on its merit.

Old 05-28-2023, 07:11 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
And the other side of the coin....

With retail stores across the country closing and others rethinking their brick-and-mortar locations, ABC7 News decided to take a closer look at what's happening in Union Square. We noticed three big patterns.

New stores are moving in, some stores are cutting retail space, and some stores are expanding.

In the Downtown San Francisco shopping core, a new IKEA store is going up at 945 Market Street.
https://abc7news.com/sf-union-square...aces/13213444/
So it is easier to carry out and fence jeans than a table that you have to assemble

Old 05-28-2023, 07:22 PM

It will be interesting to see how well Ikea does. The idea non-stop security is promoted does not make the store appear an appealing place to shop.

New Downtown SF Ikea Will Have Nonstop Security, Company Says After Whole Foods Shutters

The safety of our co-workers and customers is always the highest priority for Ikea. Ikea San Francisco, which will be part of a new meeting place from Ingka Centres on Market Street, will be staffed with a security team at all times,” an Ikea spokesperson said in an email.
https://sfstandard.com/business/new-...oods-shutters/

Coco Republic on the other hand closed their downtown location after just six months.

Coco Republic to Close Downtown San Francisco Location and Commence Immediate On-Site Inventory Liquidation
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301821667.html

Last edited by john3232; 05-28-2023 at 07:41 PM..

Old 05-29-2023, 07:47 AM

9,880 posts, read 4,646,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
It will be interesting to see how well Ikea does. The idea non-stop security is promoted does not make the store appear an appealing place to shop.

New Downtown SF Ikea Will Have Nonstop Security, Company Says After Whole Foods Shutters

The safety of our co-workers and customers is always the highest priority for Ikea. Ikea San Francisco, which will be part of a new meeting place from Ingka Centres on Market Street, will be staffed with a security team at all times,” an Ikea spokesperson said in an email.
https://sfstandard.com/business/new-...oods-shutters/

Coco Republic on the other hand closed their downtown location after just six months.

Coco Republic to Close Downtown San Francisco Location and Commence Immediate On-Site Inventory Liquidation
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301821667.html
The problem isn't just the shopping experience/safety it's travel to the building. The thought of traveling into a city like SF is what winds up killing many bars and restaurants because suburbanites eventually will stop travel to or through problem areas.

This is where a strong police presence helps especially on or near common travel routes or heavily traveled streets.

Old 05-29-2023, 08:47 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,077,727 times
I worked my career mostly in San Francisco.
Traffic and parking were the main issues that kept me away when I wasn’t working.
I worked off hours normally like 6:00am to 12:00pm with out breaks or to 1:00pm with breaks.
30-35 minute commute in the morning leaving at 5:00 ish and a 45 minute commute around noon ish.
When I had to come in on or leave at normal commute hours it could often be up to 2 hours each way.
My commute was about 32-35 miles depending.

The grundge does suck a bit of life out of you but is nothing compared to the miserable traffic during peak hours.
There are numerous accidents every day and the traffic is getting worse.

Why would you go to an Old Navy store or a whatever store if there was one closer to where you live.
Over the years our days of going shopping in The City dwindled down from 6 or so times a year down to nothing.
We now only go there for meetings and events and those are dwindling down as well.

Old 05-29-2023, 10:27 AM

Interesting. This employee feels a need to hide their identity so they can speak honestly about the rampant theft witnessed at Old Navy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=274qz-4ipTY

Old 05-29-2023, 10:42 AM

A person steals 1k worth of clothes off the racks. Wonder how much they get? Probably less than a dime on the dollar.

Old 06-01-2023, 11:46 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,685,007 times
Is there an IKEA without “nonstop security”?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies