Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2023, 11:04 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times

Advertisements

I would imagine eventually once these AV's are considered safe they won't need to human operators. What do you think? Good or Bad?

Job Posting for Autonomous Vehicle Operator at Gatik

Gatik is leading the way in autonomous middle-mile delivery by developing a safe, efficient, autonomous delivery solution that addresses real pain points for the retail industry. Operating on fixed, predetermined routes, they are the first company to develop and deploy light/medium duty autonomous box trucks.

We are looking for a highly motivated self-starter to help test and improve the performance of the company's driverless 26-foot-long trucks in running routes to transport dry and refrigerated cargo, obtain data, and fix technical issues.

You're a valuable contributor, providing necessary feedback to engineering teams aimed at improving groundbreaking automated driving technology while meeting customer's product delivery needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2023, 11:14 AM

6,102 posts, read 2,723,766 times
I'm all for autonomous vehicles. But with all the bad drivers drunks and hazards on the road not sure if it can handle all that.

If all vehicles became autonomous it would be much safer.

Old 05-28-2023, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
I'm all for autonomous vehicles. But with all the bad drivers drunks and hazards on the road not sure if it can handle all that.
Good point. But there are 6 million car crashes each year in the USA. Humans cannot handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
If all vehicles became autonomous it would be much safer.
I agree. That will be the next push. People are all bent out of shape with EV's but the next push will be no one will be allowed to drive. I can see the headlines. NY state to ban all human driven vehicles by 2035.

Old 05-28-2023, 11:29 AM

18,447 posts, read 8,272,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Good point. But there are 6 million car crashes each year in the USA. Humans cannot handle it.
that's about 2%....12% of people fall down

Old 05-28-2023, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
that's about 2%....12% of people fall down
We need to ban standing upright then.
Seriously. There are over 2 million truck drivers and another 2 million ride share and taxi drivers. Add to it uber eats and pizza drivers. It adds up. If all those are automated fatalities would drop. Sure ride share vehicles will have people in them some of the time. But it would save lives. And fully automated roads would have few accidents.

Old 05-29-2023, 12:10 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
I'm just stuck on "autonomous vehicle operator", seems a bit like "nomadic architect".

Old 05-29-2023, 12:27 AM

18,739 posts, read 7,606,770 times
Quote:
I would imagine eventually once these AV's are considered safe they won't need to human operators. What do you think? Good or Bad?
No matter how "good" they get, inevitably one will eventually crash and injure or kill somebody.

Then who do we sue? Car doesn't have a driver.

If the autonomous car is a Tesla, do we sue Elon Musk? He wasn't even there.

Old 05-29-2023, 03:53 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:

I agree. That will be the next push. People are all bent out of shape with EV's but the next push will be no one will be allowed to drive. I can see the headlines. NY state to ban all human driven vehicles by 2035.
This is just one facet of life/work where a great percentage (not all, but enough) of humans are going to be rendered obsolete.

People are going to need a purpose beyond work.

I don’t know how people are going to find an income.

I reckon all the silly things we argue about now are going to pale in comparison to what’s coming.

It’s going to get ugly out there, IMHO.

Old 05-29-2023, 05:17 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times
Quote:
We need to ban standing upright then.
Seriously. There are over 2 million truck drivers and another 2 million ride share and taxi drivers. Add to it uber eats and pizza drivers. It adds up. If all those are automated fatalities would drop. Sure ride share vehicles will have people in them some of the time. But it would save lives. And fully automated roads would have few accidents.
Tech has failures constantly. I’m waiting for the first major accidents with these and the companies and the govt also will backpedal.

Old 05-29-2023, 07:54 AM

4,661 posts, read 1,951,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
This is just one facet of life/work where a great percentage (not all, but enough) of humans are going to be rendered obsolete.

People are going to need a purpose beyond work.

I don’t know how people are going to find an income.

I reckon all the silly things we argue about now are going to pale in comparison to what’s coming.

It’s going to get ugly out there, IMHO.
This question came up in Star Trek TNG and Picard's answer was "the purpose was to improve oneself" of course thats a great vision and perhaps works in a place with replicators and limitless power to provide but we dont live in that world. So the purpose will be to live in little enviro friendly boxes and eat vegetable paste and bugs while we live in a virtual world. meanwhile the elite will live in their 10k foot mansions, fly in their private jets and eat corn feed beef. But dont worry they, like Al Gore, will pay the carbon tax so it will be A-ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies