Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2023, 08:15 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
They're not "interrogated". They're given a sheet of paper, go over there please and fill this out.

3 randomly generated questions.

1. Does your friend have a dog?
2. Where does your friend work?
3. Is your friend married?

Takes two minutes. If your answers don't match, goodbye, and a HUGE ding on the person applying for a gun. He brought someone who doesn't actually know him, meaning he doesn't know anyone who would vouch for him.

The more I think about this, the better the plan is. It would absolutely work.
How long do you think it'd be before the question list was leaked/hacked, or assembled in its entirety by people who pool the questions they received?

Your plan that would "absolutely work" could be broken with a little memorization.

Forest for the trees... You're so insistent on proving to yourself how good of an idea it is, you're unable to see the obvious problems with it.

But it's so great, Clara! Yay for you! You had an unoriginal idea! How very Clara!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2023, 08:32 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,623 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
How long do you think it'd be before the question list was leaked/hacked, or assembled in its entirety by people who pool the questions they received?

Your plan that would "absolutely work" could be broken with a little memorization.

Forest for the trees... You're so insistent on proving to yourself how good of an idea it is, you're unable to see the obvious problems with it.

But it's so great, Clara! Yay for you! You had an unoriginal idea! How very Clara!
That's why I said "randomly selected" questions. You could have a bank of 150 questions, that randomly select every time a gun purchaser comes into the store.

There's NO WAY you could prepare someone who doesn't know you, to respond correctly to 150 randomized questions.

And swagger, there's no need to be rude, as your last sentence was. No need. I remain respectful in my responses, despite the desire to be rude back.

But I'm actually heartened at the idea that others are advocating for this idea, of having people vouch for gun purchasers. That means this might gain traction. That means it's a common idea, that others also individually think is likely to work.

Old 05-29-2023, 10:05 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
If the government can break the law during emergencies they'll create emergencies to break the law.

Old 05-29-2023, 10:08 PM

11,020 posts, read 5,982,960 times
Quote:
If you think "ordinary people" who want to buy a firearm can't manage to come up with one person they know who will vouch for them - even their wife, for example, or their mother - well, you don't think all that highly of the folks trying to buy a gun.

This plan would keep someone who is unstable from walking into a gun shop and quickly and easily purchasing a firearm - or many - and a load of ammunition, very conveniently.

That's my first goal. Pinch that off at the neck.
I think Clara is on to something. Maybe it's unworkable - I don't know. But maybe it can be made to work. I think the idea is worth exploring. Worst case, it might only catch a few bad eggs, best case, it might catch many bad eggs.

Anyway, I had to go through that process. I passed, even though one of my ex's called the cops on me and had two restraining orders placed against me. It turned out that I should have vetted her before moving in with her. You see, she was the nutter and not me.

In another life, in another time and place, to obtain a permit for a firearm, one had to have an interview with the police and later, one had to do a firearms proficiency course and then present that certificate to the police in order to get approval. As a side note, while guns were pretty prolific, most murders were and still are, by knife. You think the US has a homicide problem? Hah! The US is tame by comparison. At that time, during the Beirut conflict, it was safer in Beirut!

Last edited by 303Guy; 05-29-2023 at 11:29 PM..

Old 05-29-2023, 10:42 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,844,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
So your answer is more government regulation?

Look a gun is a dangerous weapon like a vehicle. The pen is not mightier than the sword. You have to get a license and undergo training to drive on the streets. My gun purchase last week included a background check that took 10 minutes. I am not required in my state to do anything else. I can take my gun anywhere I want besides places like government offices. If you live in a state with all kinds of rules regarding gun purchasing that you don't approve of. Move.

Freddy disagrees. Rest in pieces Freddy.

https://youtu.be/15RZEbeGxTY?t=99

Old 05-30-2023, 12:13 AM

8,549 posts, read 10,973,619 times
Because the first amendment does not say, "the right of the people to free speech shall not be infringed."
That should answer the op's original posting.

Old 05-30-2023, 04:07 AM

30,153 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
This doesn't have to be done at a federal government agency.

This can be done at a gun shop, where they have to run a background check to allow for the sale of a gun.

You step up, I want to buy this gun. Ok, fine, where's your witness to vouch for you? Right here. Ok fine, go over there and fill this out.

This is not so damn hard. In fact, it's incredibly sleek and easy. The gun shop owner could be paid by the state $20 bucks or so, for conducting this 2 minute exercise.
And you are assuming that a person with bad intentions on buying a gun cannot find someone in their circle that will vouch for them?

Old 05-30-2023, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Because the first amendment does not say, "the right of the people to free speech shall not be infringed."
That should answer the op's original posting.
So you are trying to say the 2nd amendment is stronger than the 1st amendment?
This is what it says regarding free speech:

Congress shall make no law .... abridging the freedom of speech.

When twitter and FB was kicking people off the same people who were complaining about losing free speech rights are silent on this. So free speech only counts when someone is saying or doing something you agree with?

In 1989 the SCOTUS clarified free speech:

https://www.mtsu.edu/first-amendment...r-restrictions

To survive First Amendment constitutional challenges, such restrictions must satisfy a three-prong test outlined by the Supreme Court in Ward v. Rock Against Racism (1989).
  1. The regulation must be content neutral.
  2. It must be narrowly tailored to serve a significant governmental interest.
  3. It must leave open ample alternative channels for communicating the speaker’s message.

Old 05-30-2023, 04:26 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Because there's already been 22,000 infringements on the 2nd Amendment in the form of illegal Federal, State and Local laws restricting only the law abiding.

22,000 infringements!

Old 05-30-2023, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Because there's already been 22,000 infringements on the 2nd Amendment in the form of illegal Federal, State and Local laws restricting only the law abiding.

22,000 infringements!
But then there is the line well regulated militia in the same passage. I am all for (un)infringed gun ownership but you can't pick and choose some words and ignore others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies