Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 06:20 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times

Advertisements

I am asking this as a person who is a strong supporter of protecting all the amendments and the constitution itself. Even if it means voices I don't like get heard or people can do things in public that are not my cup of team. I am going out to the shooting range to practice with my latest hand gun I purchased last week.

But Jon Stewart in the attached video has a point. Governments are passing laws banning drag queen shows because they "might" harm children. Yet those same politicians vehemently protect the second amendment despite the fact that firearms kill more children than anything else. It is hypocrisy. Either its all about protecting children even if it infringes on some peoples constitutional rights or you adhere strictly to the constitution. I choose the latter.

Let parents decide what is best for their kids. Which means their child might be a victim of gun violence or might be influenced by a drag performer to go trans. As Ron Paul has said for years. You either have freedom or safety. You cannot have both at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/lkW3cPSXr4Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2023, 06:25 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
You've asked a legitimate question, but I doubt you'll get any reasonable replies.

The answer is the gun lobbies. They have financial interests to protect and they're skilled at keeping people terrified that "someone" is coming to take their guns with terrifying consequences. Gun manufacturers keep making money and keep peddling fear. Otherwise rational people lose it when they're scared.

Old 05-29-2023, 06:29 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
You've asked a legitimate question, but I doubt you'll get any reasonable replies.

The answer is the gun lobbies. They have financial interests to protect and they're skilled at keeping people terrified that "someone" is coming to take their guns with terrifying consequences. Gun manufacturers keep making money and keep peddling fear. Otherwise rational people lose it when they're scared.
Tell you what, let's start doing background checks on people who want to post on the internet or write a letter to the editor. Maybe make them get a permit after undergoing mandated training to do so. That permit may be revoked at any time and must renewed on a regular basis.

Old 05-29-2023, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Tell you what, let's start doing background checks on people who want to post on the internet or write a letter to the editor. Maybe make them get a permit after undergoing mandated training to do so. That permit may be revoked at any time and must renewed on a regular basis.
So your answer is more government regulation?

Look a gun is a dangerous weapon like a vehicle. The pen is not mightier than the sword. You have to get a license and undergo training to drive on the streets. My gun purchase last week included a background check that took 10 minutes. I am not required in my state to do anything else. I can take my gun anywhere I want besides places like government offices. If you live in a state with all kinds of rules regarding gun purchasing that you don't approve of. Move.

Old 05-29-2023, 06:37 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Well, on the other hand, after some 20K laws infringing on the 2nd Amendment, maybe now they figure they can infringe on the 1st, too!

Old 05-29-2023, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

Look I would like to be able to wave a magic wand and make guns, predators, dangerous drugs, cigs, alcohol, gambling, burglars and robbers all disappear off the face of the earth. We have guns or at least I do to protect us from bad people. I am not worried about the government taking my guns, at least not yet but I do worry about bad people taking stuff from me or harming me. That has nothing to do with the gun lobby.

Old 05-29-2023, 06:40 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
So your answer is more government regulation?

Look a gun is a dangerous weapon like a vehicle. The pen is not mightier than the sword. You have to get a license and undergo training to drive on the streets. My gun purchase last week included a background check that took 10 minutes. I am not required in my state to do anything else. I can take my gun anywhere I want besides places like government offices. If you live in a state with all kinds of rules regarding gun purchasing that you don't approve of. Move.
Not at all. You talked about "infringements". As someone mentioned there are now around 20,000 local, state and federal laws regulating ownership of firearms.

A driver's license is not a "right" as designated in the Constitution.

Old 05-29-2023, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, on the other hand, after some 20K laws infringing on the 2nd Amendment, maybe now they figure they can infringe on the 1st, too!
That is not why drag shows are being banned. Its suppose to be to protect children from harm.

The point is if you worry about trans or gay people grooming children and harming them with drag shows or books and you want laws to stop it but you don't worry about guns being the leading cause of death for children you are a hypocrite. In that case you are not about protecting children at all, you are just playing politics.

I am a freedom person myself. Every child is not going to be safe all the time. That is reality.

Old 05-29-2023, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Not at all. You talked about "infringements". As someone mentioned there are now around 20,000 local, state and federal laws regulating ownership of firearms.

A driver's license is not a "right" as designated in the Constitution.

I am against all of those regulations on guns. And I am against banning books and performances. Are you?

Old 05-29-2023, 06:54 AM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times
All rights have restrictions which are open to interpretation by the court system. These restrictions change over time as societal values change. There are restrictions on the on guns and free speech. It's always been that way, always will be that way, and always should be that way. The thread title doesn't make any sense, as it implies there are no restrictions on guns which is, of course, factually incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies