Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2023, 08:58 AM

78,369 posts, read 60,566,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I'm white and straight and I'm worried that I'll be attacked by a bunch of crazed meth addicts if I stop in a rural area.
Yeah, they live in the cave systems under the cornfields. You can walk from Nebraska to Indiana entirely underground via those tunnels, but bring offerings of Taco Bell and meth for safe passage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2023, 09:03 AM

Chicago homicide victims follow the 80-15-5 rule most years. Black-Hispanic-White.

Just a reminder of whom is paying the butchers bill for the policy and prosecutorial changes made in response to George Floyd. Some were good and needed, others were terrible and are causing harm.

Old 06-02-2023, 12:28 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,183,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post

Chicago has some of the strictest gun laws in the entire country, and is almost entirely controlled by democrats. They have implemented their idea of nirvana on these issues.
Forbes says that Chicago does not make the top 15 of America's most dangerous cities nor the top 5 for worst cities for mass shootings.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabe...h=67a8b9f6309a

Old 06-02-2023, 12:48 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Forbes says that Chicago does not make the top 15 of America's most dangerous cities nor the top 5 for worst cities for mass shootings.

St. Louis, Birmingham, Baltimore, Memphis, and Detroit certainly made the top 5.

Old 06-02-2023, 01:33 PM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2...tings-violence

Double digit deaths and almost 50 wounded just this past weekend in Chiraq.

But yet, not one single prominent democrat will say one single thing about this.

Chicago has some of the strictest gun laws in the entire country, and is almost entirely controlled by democrats. They have implemented their idea of nirvana on these issues.

They have also implemented their idea of nirvana on education and social issues.

Why has the problem still not been solved?
Even New Orleans cannot compare

Violent surge leaves 16 shot in 10 New Orleans incidents over Memorial Day weekend; see where shootings occurred

In a spike in gun violence in metro New Orleans this weekend, 16 people were shot -- including five fatally -- since Saturday.

Old 06-02-2023, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Even New Orleans cannot compare

Violent surge leaves 16 shot in 10 New Orleans incidents over Memorial Day weekend; see where shootings occurred

In a spike in gun violence in metro New Orleans this weekend, 16 people were shot -- including five fatally -- since Saturday.
New Orleans has population of 376,971. All that killing in a city smaller than Minneapolis would scare me more than Chicago could.

Old 06-02-2023, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
New Orleans has population of 376,971. All that killing in a city smaller than Minneapolis would scare me more than Chicago could.
<<This is not directed at you>>

I just find it a little bit weird that we have so much politicization around this topic that when in cities where 95% or so of the people getting shot (because for every one that gets killed 2+ more get shot and that wrecks your life too financially if you're not left maimed. and often these are not families that have any financial means to support such an individual.

That an extra 200 killings or 600 shootings is turned into this defensive thing (along political lines) from the very demographics getting shot up.

I mean holy cow, sure the right wing loves to point out city violence but to then try to downplay it as being worse in the past or per capita etc. etc. etc. when there is an obvious loss of FANTASTIC PROGRESS IN THOSE CITIES over the past 20+ years just seems like one giant WTH moment.

The irony that the right wing is drawing the biggest national attention to minority shooting deaths is like some sort of alternate reality.

Old 06-03-2023, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
<<This is not directed at you>>

I just find it a little bit weird that we have so much politicization around this topic that when in cities where 95% or so of the people getting shot (because for every one that gets killed 2+ more get shot and that wrecks your life too financially if you're not left maimed. and often these are not families that have any financial means to support such an individual.

That an extra 200 killings or 600 shootings is turned into this defensive thing (along political lines) from the very demographics getting shot up.

I mean holy cow, sure the right wing loves to point out city violence but to then try to downplay it as being worse in the past or per capita etc. etc. etc. when there is an obvious loss of FANTASTIC PROGRESS IN THOSE CITIES over the past 20+ years just seems like one giant WTH moment.

The irony that the right wing is drawing the biggest national attention to minority shooting deaths is like some sort of alternate reality.
Having been on this forum for a about 16 years, I start to expect political rants when it comes to Black on Black murder. I never thought about it until coming to this forum. It's a topic that is rarely discussed in good faith.

I'm not surprised to see the right wing drawing the most attention to this. When one considers for what reasons, it's not much of a surprise. When the reasons are about political party bashing, it's not surprising. When it's about "look what those Blacks are doing to our cities", then it doesn't surprise me.

And while Chicago definitely needs to get its violent crime issues under control, one thing has not failed. Chicago is always being used as a byword for "America's going down the drain" or "(insert group) is out of control". St. Louis, Birmingham, Baton Rouge, Memphis, those are some very violent cities. Memphis has always been a violent city, going back to 1900. Birmingham too. I posted about Birmingham's history of being a perennially violent city, as far back as 1900. And I did mention Black on Black violence as it applies to Birmingham. I did so to take the politics out of it. There is a narrative of "we just had right wingers running everything, things would get much better". I sought to take political parties out of this and actually have a discussion in good faith.

Old 06-04-2023, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post

First off, I believe we have repeatedly agreed that Chicago isn't as dangerous as portrayed and of course, people target things just out of politics.

However, this is just Forbes passing along what looks to be a shoddy article from Money Geek because their mass shooting numbers look absolutely garbage.

In 2021, the stated year they used...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...States_in_2021

Indianapolis had 8 for its almost 900k residents.

Chicago had 61 for their 2.7million residents.

So Chicago's mass shooting rate was roughly 2.5 x higher than Indianapolis which ranked #3 but Chicago isn't on the list?

San Jose, ranked #1 on this had only ONE mass shooting and a population of 1 million.

P.S. They may have done something shady to skew results like changing the definition of mass shooting, happens a lot.

Old 06-04-2023, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Having been on this forum for a about 16 years, I start to expect political rants when it comes to Black on Black murder. I never thought about it until coming to this forum. It's a topic that is rarely discussed in good faith.

I'm not surprised to see the right wing drawing the most attention to this. When one considers for what reasons, it's not much of a surprise. When the reasons are about political party bashing, it's not surprising. When it's about "look what those Blacks are doing to our cities", then it doesn't surprise me.

And while Chicago definitely needs to get its violent crime issues under control, one thing has not failed. Chicago is always being used as a byword for "America's going down the drain" or "(insert group) is out of control". St. Louis, Birmingham, Baton Rouge, Memphis, those are some very violent cities. Memphis has always been a violent city, going back to 1900. Birmingham too. I posted about Birmingham's history of being a perennially violent city, as far back as 1900. And I did mention Black on Black violence as it applies to Birmingham. I did so to take the politics out of it. There is a narrative of "we just had right wingers running everything, things would get much better". I sought to take political parties out of this and actually have a discussion in good faith.
It's hard to have good discussions around here and that's why I appreciate posters like you. Said it a million times, I don't know how people can stand it here without at least a dozen people on ignore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies