Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 07:33 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Do I need to go on?
This thread doesn't need any more knee-jerk paranoia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
These "voucher" programs, promoted largely by republican christian extremists, are designed to siphon public funds into discriminatory religious schools, as a sidestep around mixing secular public schools and religion.
Agreed. Public money at the K-12 local level should be used for public education only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2023, 07:44 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Berkeley, CA wasn't integrated until the 1970's, and I'm surprised that someone from New England doesn't remember the busing battles in Boston that started in the 1970's, too. School segregation may have been de jure in the South but it was de facto in the North.

Home schoolers are practicing separation of church and state.
Then you're saying that it isn't about education, it's really about religion.

Old 05-31-2023, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I was a fan of public school up until very recently. Despite what "evils" the WaPo is alleging about home schooling, I'll put money on the following: I bet more home-schooled than public school kids graduate with all the same anatomical parts they had on the first day of kindergarten. A lot more.
Where's your data?

Old 05-31-2023, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Not all home-schooling has to do with religion. A lot has to do with bad public school experiences.

For example, I attended a private school from the fourth through eighth grade at the insistence of my fourth grade public school teacher (I switched half way through they year), who told my parents that the public school system was "failing me" and to do what they could to get me out. That same teacher left the public school a year or two later. That school has gone downhill since I was there, too.
Okay. Maybe. Do you have some data to back that up? Or is that just your personal opinion.

I ask this because one person's personal opinion is not a very meaningful measurement of the success of a school.

In our school system (at least in the past) every third year the school was evaluated by the parents. The computer would randomly send out surveys to one-third of the parents. The questions were many and quite specific. Our school had among the best results in the county. Yet one day a parent came in and told me what a horrible school we had, and she was sure the survey data would back her up. So we started going down the questions one by one, and she'd say something like, "Well I know the school failed on that item", and when I told the survey result, she'd just say, "You're lying" or "You just picked the parents to give the survey to".

It would as if a parent came in and I said, "I know you're beating your child", with no information to back that up, other than personal opinion.

Old 05-31-2023, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
leftist fear mongering.

leftists are chopping the penis's off children and talking about how terrible "christians" are.

give me a break
Please provide the source of your information that "leftists are chopping the penis's off children".

Old 05-31-2023, 07:59 PM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Where's your data?
Probably sitting on some politically-motivated “peer reviewer’s†desk. But you don’t really need it to state the obvious.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 05-31-2023, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Does anybody read the Washington Post anymore?

Is this what passes for a newspaper nowadays?
Well, let's see. Daily circulaton is 159,040, making it the fourth most-read newspaper in the nation, only behind "The Wall Street Journal", "The New York Times", and "USA Today".

Old 05-31-2023, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
This thread doesn't need any more knee-jerk paranoia.

Agreed. Public money at the K-12 local level should be used for public education only.
And, parents who opt for home schooling should not be allowed to enroll their children in any kind of public school events.

Old 05-31-2023, 08:32 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
We've known maybe dozen homeschool families. Anecdotal, I know.

All of their kids went to university and are productive citizens and thriving professionals in both the public and private sectors.

The downside, to some here I'm sure, is they all seem to lean conservative.

Too insist the public school = good and home school = bad is naive and lazy thinking.

YMMV.
I hear ya.

MM = YM.

Good back and forth so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
It’s evil bc it contributes to the breakdown of the family unit. Kids are exposed to all kinds of things from peers and adults alike. These kids are gone from home for 7-8 hours a day to be raised in their most formative years by strangers. Mothers have gone to work and the kids end up in after school care programs to turn the day into more like 10-11 hours out of the home. Now we have them literally indoctrinating kids with revisionist history, gender nonnse, and exposing them to sexual content/topics at young ages. Do I need to go on?
I am disgusted by the idea of crt, revisionist history, claiming parents are "domestic terrorists", and the like.

I am also disgusted by the performance of the public school system statistically, especially during the Covid years and since.

How are the unions doing these days? Give me some points for and against.

The other alternative, private schools and Christain schools.

How are schools like ECA, Jefferson Academy, Resurrection Christain School, Faith Christian, Heritage Christian, Valor Christian, Colorado Springs Christian, Saint Mary's, Denver Christian, Daysprings Christian, Holy Family, Kent Denver, Regis Jesuit, etc. doing academically, with sports and other activities?

I see nothing wrong with Christian schools as a whole.

Wholesale condemnation of religion and the things those of religion have to offer is a political slant, one I refuse to imbibe in.

Old 05-31-2023, 08:37 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
leftist fear mongering.

leftists are chopping the penis's off children and talking about how terrible "christians" are.

give me a break
Do you really think this is happening?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies