Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2023, 01:19 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times

Advertisements

We went through this once with the fears that Walmart was gonna kill America as we know it. Now is it Dollar General which is going to ruin the rural folks?
Quote:
A descendant of one of Ebony’s founding families, Ms. Hartley says the discount store — which would be built next to her home — will create traffic problems in the area, with people drawn to the brand’s signature yellow sign and its aisles filled with inexpensive food and household staples.

Beyond the store itself, Ms. Hartley and many others with ties to Ebony think it will open the door to additional development that will spoil the character of their tiny, rural community of about 230 people. The name of their website and the rallying cry for their campaign against the Dollar General is “Keep Ebony Country.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/02/b...-virginia.html
https://us.knews.media/news/will-a-d...al-crossroads/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2023, 02:12 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
I actually like the DG we have here. I can pick up groceries I may have forgotten at my grocery pickup (for a high price, however) including fresh foods, and they always have the random household goods and little gifts I’m looking for. It’s massively more convenient than driving half an hour to Walmart (my usual grocery and random stuff spot), and Winn-Dixie (30 min in the other direction) and the nasty Save-a-Lot (just groceries and almost right next to DG) don’t usually have the random array of things I’m looking for when I digress from my typical shopping at Walmart. I have seen these in many little towns and even in the middle of nowhere and they do not affect the economy the way a big box store does. Not by any stretch. They do have jobs to offer and convenience for little things you might need without driving farther.

Old 06-02-2023, 02:20 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Amazon is killing retail in both rural and urban areas. The only reason Walmart isn't in trouble is because they sell groceries.

Old 06-02-2023, 02:31 PM

1,747 posts, read 879,903 times
The Dollar Generals and Dollar Store are keeping people living paycheck to paycheck from starving to death because they can actually afford to buy something there. Seems to me she's more concerned about keeping lower earners out of her neighborhood than she is about traffic.

Old 06-02-2023, 02:45 PM

43,097 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Pure NIMBY

Old 06-02-2023, 02:57 PM

19,841 posts, read 12,102,488 times
I hope this little town prevails in keeping out DG and any other box stores.

Old 06-02-2023, 03:02 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Back in the burbs of Atlanta, Walmart had bought land across a four lane highway from our subdivision.

Our neighbors were incensed. Oh my the kind of people it would bring to the community.

If you know highway 41 in Cobb County -- it was going to be built off of there.

They were furious...it would bring values down because it was Walmart. The kind of people who shop there -- oh my.

They lost, the Walmart was built. The house values didn't go down, the convenience of a Walmart across the street was well received. Neighbors were happy to have a place to quickly run to get school supplies, stuff, gas.......

People have funny notions about how something will impact their community.

The Dollar GEneral in a small town will not get 'traffic'. People will not flock from miles around. And even if there is a wee bit more traffic, the business might help to spur other businesses.

Old 06-02-2023, 03:17 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
They built one in my little one horse town in SW Colorado.We tried to fight it so they threatened to build it just outside of town so we would loose any sales tax so the town caved and they built it.How they stay open is a mystery as every time I go by there might be one car there usually with out of state plates.We have a great little local grocery they even cut thier own meat and very fair prices.I expect it looses a lot of money.Got a kick out of the comment it keeps people from starving.

Old 06-02-2023, 03:31 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Amazon is killing retail in both rural and urban areas. The only reason Walmart isn't in trouble is because they sell groceries.
It was started by Wal-Mart though, and you are right about Wal-Mart surviving due to selling groceries. Amazon beats Wal-Mart on the few items Wal-Mart sells online when it comes to price. Sadly, most of Wal-Mart online is just 3rd party sellers with junk or products at 3 times the price of Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailjnh View Post
The Dollar Generals and Dollar Store are keeping people living paycheck to paycheck from starving to death because they can actually afford to buy something there. Seems to me she's more concerned about keeping lower earners out of her neighborhood than she is about traffic.
Yeah, I don't see that. The smaller the town, the higher the prices, so better to just buy at Amazon online. I don't shop there, as I feel for the quality, the price of their items is not justified. Also, here they replaced Duckwall's and Also, which had so much more to offer, not just junk stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
They built one in my little one horse town in SW Colorado.We tried to fight it so they threatened to build it just outside of town so we would loose any sales tax so the town caved and they built it.How they stay open is a mystery as every time I go by there might be one car there usually with out of state plates.We have a great little local grocery they even cut thier own meat and very fair prices.I expect it looses a lot of money.Got a kick out of the comment it keeps people from starving.
We have 3 of them here, in a town with only 25,000 people. I did notice that they try to place themselves where people are "poor", thus maybe have to walk there, and maybe aren't in to checking prices with other stores. Yes, if there is more than one car in the parent lot, it is a big day there. I have only been in one, and everything was so disorganized that I just never went into another.

I know KS has some rural grocery store program, so I have seen some grocery stores open in smaller cities, and they basically carry what a Dollar General carries.

Old 06-02-2023, 03:32 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
I'm from parfleche's part of the world and his comments are spot on. A crummy dollar store is not going to run a local gem like the P&D grocery in Mancos out of business. The P&D generally has good fresh produce and the meat department is great for such a little store. People in the know know the best place to shop in the little town next to mine, and it sure ain't some dollar store.

Say, parfleche - does the P&D still put on those wonderful community Thanksgiving dinners? Those were so good and the owners of the P&D so generous with the rest of the community. No dollar store can compete with that! I'm sure rural America will keep on going somehow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies