Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2023, 01:01 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,263,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Each wind turbine gear box requires about 60-300 gallons of oil. Also some of the newer oils last 10 years.
That’s correct— I read about 12 articles and Rich gave different numbers - Wind Farms are typically about 150 Turbines & that’s where my brain stuck in the 1,000’s. I’m not at all sure thst they have found any of the new Oil Blends that give that much longevity— but that is the goal. The issue is leaks in the Gear Boxes, it’s not that oil wears out — it’s water in the gear box. More than just the gear box requires lubricant, but it is the largest amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
60,000 to 80,000 gallons per windmill? That's ridiculous. Windmills hold between 50 and 80 gallons of lubricating oil and it's changed every 4 to 10 years, depending on the lubricant used. Here's a page on that from ExxonMobil https://energyfactor.exxonmobil.eu/s...wind-turbines/

I read it and explained my error. There are several sizes of Turbines and some of them have been around for 40 years. Regular Maintenance is key & there are some problems with that.

How an airborne blade exposed broader problems at PGE’s flagship wind farm-Oregon Live

If oil companies were looking to increase oil usage by wind power, wouldn't hey be trying for shorter change intervals instead of longer ones?
The synthetic hi-tech Lubricants are expensive - they are making money.
More importantly, oil Companies are in the Energy Business & Diversified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2023, 01:11 PM

25,710 posts, read 12,786,330 times
After the Libs give up natural gas heat, cooking, & clothes driers for 5 years, I'll follow suit...promise.

If they try to touch my propane barbeque grill though, they had better be ready to throw down.

Old 06-08-2023, 01:18 PM

33,568 posts, read 18,150,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bid...tove-crackdown

Overloaded electrical grid and democrats want to try to ban natural gas stoves and now central heat. How long before they go after water heaters and emergency generators?
Do you remember when Barack Obama said he would like to raise the price of electricity.? How would you do that? Getting rid of all other alternatives and having to rely on electric and the price would go sky high. No natural gas. No drilling for oil. Take a look at what's going on in Europe. They went green and now they have to pay three or four times more to stay warm .
https://www.politico.com/story/2012/...cket.%E2%80%9D

Old 06-08-2023, 01:20 PM

7,499 posts, read 3,227,551 times
Everything gets grandfathered in. It only affects new construction.

Old 06-08-2023, 01:25 PM

23,965 posts, read 15,069,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
The other nice thing about hot water radiators or wall panels is they are nearly silent in addition to the no dust blowing advantage. The 40 unit apartment building I live in has a big heat exchanger tank in the basement. The heat exchange is connected to centralized steam heating system pipes from the main street. The hot steam generated at the city power & steam plant is what heats the water in the basement heat exchanger, so there is no gas furnace needed in the building. It is extremely low-tech and also highly efficient with almost no moving parts.
That's great for a 40 unit apartment building. I have a question. DD lives in an old building with radiators. Heats great. But she can't turn it off. Half the time her window is open in the dead of wintering NYC. It was that way in 3 different buildings she has lived in.

What about heat in an 1800 ft house built on a slab. Where does one put that boiler?

Old 06-08-2023, 02:05 PM

15,413 posts, read 7,472,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Huh? I grew up with steam radiators and can't think of any maintenance being done on them. Heck, some were nearing 100 years old when my parents sold that house. I would say they were far superior to a forced hot air system that I had in some of the houses I've owned since.
The last house we lived in with radiators had to have them bled weekly to purge air from the system. I won't own a house with radiators. Fortunately that's not a problem in Texas, where they are rare.

Old 06-08-2023, 03:11 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,488,459 times
Where did the article say anything about banning gas furnaces?

I don't know that I fully support making 95% the minimum efficiency so quickly, since it seems the more efficient, the less reliable they seem to be. (I didn't know they still sold 80% efficient furnaces, but I'm not in the market, yet) But, that's very different from an outright ban.

Old 06-08-2023, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The last house we lived in with radiators had to have them bled weekly to purge air from the system. I won't own a house with radiators. Fortunately that's not a problem in Texas, where they are rare.
That sounds like the heating system needed repair, not an inherent flaw with radiant heat.

Old 06-08-2023, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
That's great for a 40 unit apartment building. I have a question. DD lives in an old building with radiators. Heats great. But she can't turn it off. Half the time her window is open in the dead of wintering NYC. It was that way in 3 different buildings she has lived in.
Maybe NYC should offer building owners some kind of tax incentive to install valves on old radiator systems like that, so that each radiator has its own control. But, I'm not an engineer, and don't know much about those old systems, to know if that would cause a problem, somehow.

Quote:
What about heat in an 1800 ft house built on a slab. Where does one put that boiler?
Same place they'd put a forced-air furnace.

Old 06-08-2023, 09:01 PM

7,678 posts, read 5,524,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Where did the article say anything about banning gas furnaces?

I don't know that I fully support making 95% the minimum efficiency so quickly, since it seems the more efficient, the less reliable they seem to be. (I didn't know they still sold 80% efficient furnaces, but I'm not in the market, yet) But, that's very different from an outright ban.
I was wondering that myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies