Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2023, 07:22 AM

9,544 posts, read 4,372,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's an absurd claim.
It's not a "claim". It's a fact. Do you not keep up with current events? Ever heard of Kim Fox? Chesa Boudin? George Gascon? There are many others as well. Try to keep up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2023, 07:43 AM

42,868 posts, read 26,380,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
ou hae the right case but you didn't read it correctly. Terry allowed stop and frisk based upon reasonable suspicion, a much lower threshold than "probable cause." "Probable cause" means "more likely than not" that the suspect is engaged in a crime. "Reasonable suspicion means that any reasonable person would suspect that a crime was in the process of being committed, had been committed or was going to be committed very soon." (link).
I'm familiar with it, but Giuliani was ordering stop and frisk with NO reasonable suspicion, and that was confirmed by the court in a 2013 decision that found NYPD's stop and search unconstitutional.

What's interesting is that after they discontinued it they found that crime didn't increase, there was apparently no correlation:
Quote:
Statistically, no relationship between stop-and-frisk and crime seems apparent. New York remains safer than it was 5, 10, or 25 years ago. As analysis by the Brennan Center has shown, a part of this was the introduction of CompStat, which allowed police to consult data when making decisions about where and how to respond to crime. https://civilrights.org/edfund/resou...onstitutional/

Old 06-11-2023, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
It's not a "claim". It's a fact. Do you not keep up with current events? Ever heard of Kim Fox? Chesa Boudin? George Gascon? There are many others as well. Try to keep up.
I've heard of them, did you ever do any research to find out if 'liberal' district attorneys actually caused an increase in crime? If not I suggest that you read this:

Quote:
Progressive Prosecutors Are Not Tied to the Rise in Violent Crime
The study examined trends in homicide rates in 23 cities and larceny rates in 24 cities over a 48-month period from 2018 to 2021...Researchers found that After controlling for other variables that may influence crime trends, the type of prosecutor in a jurisdiction did not have an effect on the homicide or larceny rate Increases in crime are not attributable to the presence of progressive prosecutors in these jurisdictions.
https://www.americanprogress.org/art...violent-crime/

Old 06-11-2023, 08:03 AM

30,212 posts, read 11,874,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Who knows ? Why not vote one into office and find out ?

Meanwhile you'll just have to deal with the Dem Mayor that got elected.
That's what the people of Baltimore want..a Dem mayor.

Giuliani was able to bring down crime in NYC as a Republican mayor if you are looking for examples.
Tulsa and OKC have GOP mayors. Believe me there are areas of those cities you don't want to find yourself in.

Tulsa has a lot more crime than Portland

Last edited by Yac; 10-05-2023 at 04:25 AM..

Old 06-11-2023, 10:05 AM

9,544 posts, read 4,372,332 times
Quote:
I've heard of them, did you ever do any research to find out if 'liberal' district attorneys actually caused an increase in crime? If not I suggest that you read this:
You cited an openly progressive website to support your opinion. Even worse, your opinion is not based on factual data. Try harder. Much harder.

Old 06-11-2023, 11:59 AM

35,248 posts, read 17,141,934 times
Quote:
I'm familiar with it, but Giuliani was ordering stop and frisk with NO reasonable suspicion, and that was confirmed by the court in a 2013 decision that found NYPD's stop and search unconstitutional.

What's interesting is that after they discontinued it they found that crime didn't increase, there was apparently no correlation:
I do not know when that report was written. Apparently they did not wait long enough. Crime is rampant now.

Last edited by jbgusa; 06-11-2023 at 12:37 PM..

Old 06-11-2023, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
You cited an openly progressive website to support your opinion. Even worse, your opinion is not based on factual data. Try harder. Much harder.
No, I have no reason to try harder or to go on a search for data that you would accept as being valid. If you disagree with my source, you are welcome to do your own research.

Old 06-11-2023, 03:39 PM

8,362 posts, read 2,985,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Republican mayors generally don't do big cities. Just the wealthy suburban areas around the big cities.
Republicans have been mayors of NYC, Chicago, Los Angeles and plenty of the largest cities in the U.S.

Democrats/liberals moved in and voted in dem mayors.

Old 06-11-2023, 03:47 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,875,298 times
If they locked people up who commit crime in Bodymore like they should, they probably wouldn't have these issues.

But of course, Bodymore is run by Democrats for the last 60 years, so you cannot expect any intelligent decisions to come from that.

Old 06-11-2023, 04:17 PM

25,933 posts, read 18,937,421 times
Let criminals do as they please... and they will do as they please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies