Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 06:06 PM

1,761 posts, read 762,562 times

Advertisements

The US government is going to give Ukraine depleted uranium shells as they can break through Russian armor.

The problem with this is that they are known to cause birth defects and the US use of them in Iraq has coincided with increased birth defects in Iraq.

https://www.foreignpolicyjournal.com...ldren-in-iraq/

What is more, is that the depleted uranium shells can contaminate water and crops, and Ukranian crops are sold all over the globe.

https://hir.harvard.edu/depleted-ura...%20agriculture.

This is an unnecessary and reckless policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2023, 06:12 PM

43,268 posts, read 18,408,708 times
Who is going to stop us ?

We did that in the Gulf War.
Our guys got sick and died

679K military were there...25% lost their health/life due to toxic exposure

So the US is not above doing this because they've done it before.
I don't think we're the good guys anymore.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...ic-wounds.html

Old 06-16-2023, 06:15 PM

29,855 posts, read 24,972,157 times
Didn't the UK already give them DU munitions? I didn't agree when the US used this stuff in Iraq and I certainly am not going to support us giving it to Ukraine, but it's not like my opinion matters here. There is a whole system designed to make sure we the people have as little say as possible regarding the actions this nation takes. I mean, how else do we get stuck with a dementia patient holding the highest office in the nation?

Old 06-17-2023, 10:42 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,202,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
The US government is going to give Ukraine depleted uranium shells as they can break through Russian armor.

The problem with this is that they are known to cause birth defects and the US use of them in Iraq has coincided with increased birth defects in Iraq.

What is more, is that the depleted uranium shells can contaminate water and crops, and Ukranian crops are sold all over the globe.

No, your lack of understanding is unnecessary and reckless.

You saw the word "uranium" and got your bowels in an uproar.

Uranium ore contains mostly U-238 and typically less than 5% U-234/U-235.

The process of removing the U-234/U-235 is what "depletes" it. What you have left is U-238 which has a density of about 18.5 g/cubic centimeter. Yeah, it's very dense which makes it a good sabot round for tanks.

The half-life of U-238 is 4.46 Billion years. Can you say that? Billion? Sure, I knew you could.

That makes U-238 very stable in contrast with Plutonium 239 which has a half-life of 23,000 years.

Pu-239 has a spontaneous fission rate of 20,000 fissions per second per kilogram.

U-238 has a spontaneous fission rate of 5.5 fissions per second per kilogram.

You do understand that bananas, carrots, potatoes, leafy vegetables, salt, peanuts and red meat are more dangerous than DU, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Who is going to stop us ?

We did that in the Gulf War.
Our guys got sick and died

679K military were there...25% lost their health/life due to toxic exposure
Not to DU. We all got sick from the nerve agent and from the particulate matter in the burning oil wells.

Old 06-17-2023, 11:14 PM

8,163 posts, read 3,709,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
No, your lack of understanding is unnecessary and reckless.

You saw the word "uranium" and got your bowels in an uproar.

Uranium ore contains mostly U-238 and typically less than 5% U-234/U-235.

The process of removing the U-234/U-235 is what "depletes" it. What you have left is U-238 which has a density of about 18.5 g/cubic centimeter. Yeah, it's very dense which makes it a good sabot round for tanks.

The half-life of U-238 is 4.46 Billion years. Can you say that? Billion? Sure, I knew you could.

That makes U-238 very stable in contrast with Plutonium 239 which has a half-life of 23,000 years.

Pu-239 has a spontaneous fission rate of 20,000 fissions per second per kilogram.

U-238 has a spontaneous fission rate of 5.5 fissions per second per kilogram.

You do understand that bananas, carrots, potatoes, leafy vegetables, salt, peanuts and red meat are more dangerous than DU, right?

Not to DU. We all got sick from the nerve agent and from the particulate matter in the burning oil wells.
Uranium is toxic. So I would stick with bananas, vegetables, etc. , and even red meat. Lol.

P.S. But on your last paragraph, yes, sarin exposure was the main culprit

Old 06-18-2023, 08:10 AM

3,236 posts, read 1,615,673 times
Russia has plenty of DU munitions in use for many years…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/125_mm...ore_ammunition

3VBM10/3BM29/30 (3BM29 "Nadphil-2) - 1982
3VBM13/3BM32/33 (3BM32 "Vant") - 1985
3VBM20/3BM46 (3BM48 "Svinets") - 1991
3VBM23/3BM60 (3BM60 "Svinets-2") - 2016
3VBM22/3BM59 (3BM59 "Svinets-1") - 2016
3VBM?/3BM69 "Vacuum-1" - for the T-14
3BK21B - 1982

Old 06-18-2023, 08:35 AM

19,100 posts, read 27,685,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Didn't the UK already give them DU munitions? I didn't agree when the US used this stuff in Iraq and I certainly am not going to support us giving it to Ukraine, but it's not like my opinion matters here. There is a whole system designed to make sure we the people have as little say as possible regarding the actions this nation takes. I mean, how else do we get stuck with a dementia patient holding the highest office in the nation?

Personally, I think, it is wrong to use term "US did". That means, every US citizen signed up for it and approved it.

I think, more properly will be to point specifically, who did what. Say, General Powell. Mr Rumsfeld. President such and such.
Instead of, later on, going "well, I didn't approve it". Sure did. Silence is the sign of consent.

They used to use this in arranged marriages in Russia and Ukraine. When the priest will ask - Do you..? and the bride keeps quiet, priest will say - Silence is the sign of consent, I pronounce you...

Old 06-18-2023, 09:05 AM

24,558 posts, read 17,308,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post

It is all so reckless. We are sending them billions in aide with no accountability and no end in sight.

Does it really matter if the DU shells cause an increase in Birth Defects because an argument could be made that if they didn't have the shells to stop the tanks then an increase in Death would happen.
Die now or die later.

What a mess. We never should have gotten involved and we probably wouldn't have except that Biden was compromised due to he and his sons illegal scams with Ukraine.

Bidens kickback scheme that garnered him Millions is costing us all Billions. That is a fine example of Liberal math.

Old 06-18-2023, 09:38 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,807,832 times
The UK already sent DU shells to Ukraine. Germany, France, Canada, Australia, etc. have sent weapons to Ukraine. They must all be in on the "illegal scams" in Ukraine.

Last edited by davidt1; 06-18-2023 at 09:46 AM..

Old 06-18-2023, 09:52 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,321,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Personally, I think, it is wrong to use term "US did". That means, every US citizen signed up for it and approved it.

I think, more properly will be to point specifically, who did what. Say, General Powell. Mr Rumsfeld. President such and such.
Instead of, later on, going "well, I didn't approve it". Sure did. Silence is the sign of consent.

They used to use this in arranged marriages in Russia and Ukraine. When the priest will ask - Do you..? and the bride keeps quiet, priest will say - Silence is the sign of consent, I pronounce you...
More dead Russian barbarians and war criminals. Hopefully it hastens the day when these aggressors are driven from Ukraine. I'm fine with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies