Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2023, 02:52 PM

18,029 posts, read 27,479,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
We've known that the financial literacy of the American electorate has been on the decline for many years, but now it appears over half of Republican voters are verging on the brink of insanity.

https://truthout.org/articles/74-per...to-20-an-hour/
Your premise and post are both lies.

Full stop.

Hashtag Thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2023, 04:51 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,116,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Your simple logic amounts to wage slavery. An exploitative dystopian nightmare.

We have already seen how that logic works out in countries like Bangladesh. If Republicans had their way, the USA would be another Bangladesh, with all the pollution, the unsafe workplaces, the hunger and the disease.

The working person deserves a living wage. Any business which has to exploit workers by paying less than a living wage to make a profit is a failure.

I have not advocated for $20.00 an hour, I am not sure what the amount should be at this point, but to want working people to live well enough to have some kind of home and be able to raise a family requires caring about them. It requires actually understanding the real challenges they face.

My only comment was that "Republicans are not generally known for empathy" and your post amply proves it.
Your living wage is going to be different from mine which will be different for a high school student working part time which will be different from a multigenerational household.

Old 06-18-2023, 04:53 PM

31,084 posts, read 22,107,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
What, exactly, is empathetic about raising the minimum wage?

You can raise it to $50/hr if you want, $50 will simply become the new $12/hr.
Eggzactly

Old 06-18-2023, 04:55 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,796,665 times
Quote:
Your simple logic amounts to wage slavery. An exploitative dystopian nightmare.

We have already seen how that logic works out in countries like Bangladesh. If Republicans had their way, the USA would be another Bangladesh, with all the pollution, the unsafe workplaces, the hunger and the disease.

The working person deserves a living wage. Any business which has to exploit workers by paying less than a living wage to make a profit is a failure.

I have not advocated for $20.00 an hour, I am not sure what the amount should be at this point, but to want working people to live well enough to have some kind of home and be able to raise a family requires caring about them. It requires actually understanding the real challenges they face.

My only comment was that "Republicans are not generally known for empathy" and your post amply proves it.
Empathy(TM) is not a desirable trait if one is so blinded by "Empathy(TM)" that they can't see the reality in front of them.

People will only pay so much for a burger. If your so called "living wage(TM)" pushes the price of the product beyond that price, your working person will no longer be working.

Old 06-18-2023, 04:55 PM

35,714 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Quote:
60% of Republican voters support raising Federal Minimum Wage to $20/hour

I have big doubts about this.

Republicans are not generally known for empathy.
It’s for them. The are more Dems with a college degree than Repubs, so they are hurting.

Old 06-18-2023, 04:58 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,796,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
It’s for them. The are more Dems with a college degree than Repubs, so they are hurting.
Plenty of college grads with unemployable degrees slinging lattes at Starbucks.

Old 06-18-2023, 04:59 PM

43,150 posts, read 18,306,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Your premise and post are both lies.

Full stop.

Hashtag Thread.
Americans are now reading at 6th grade level...down from 8th grade level.
The US is #31 out of 37 OECD countries in reading.

But you keep going with your "hashtag"

Old 06-18-2023, 05:00 PM

43,150 posts, read 18,306,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I think the major is more important than the degree.

I conservative with an engineering degree is worth more to society than 100 liberals with a Women's studies degree.

Old 06-18-2023, 05:02 PM

18,472 posts, read 8,298,361 times
lol...~90% of dems support $20/hr

Old 06-18-2023, 05:03 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,904,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Plenty of college grads with unemployable degrees slinging lattes at Starbucks.
What do you expect someone to do with a useless Jewish Studies degree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies