Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2023, 12:54 PM

18,128 posts, read 15,709,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Who is paying for a rescue?? Human life should have a monetary value. Sometimes the juice is not worth the squeeze.
Canada's involved, they have ships and equipment in the area. Along with the U.S. Coast Guard and others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2023, 01:02 PM

46,979 posts, read 26,033,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
They're lucky they don't have the same dolts searching for the sub that they did for the lost Flight MH370. They'd be looking for the sub off the coast of Portugal.
Lateral speed being roughly 500 times less does help.

Old 06-21-2023, 01:07 PM

4,167 posts, read 4,886,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Canada's involved, they have ships and equipment in the area. Along with the U.S. Coast Guard and others.
If anything this is a good real life rescue training exercise for them, especially working together as a team.

Old 06-21-2023, 01:14 PM

29,527 posts, read 22,695,541 times
With all these shady stories coming out, it's a wonder this tin can was even allowed to operate. I suppose money talks.

OceanGate Was Warned of Potential for ‘Catastrophic’ Problems With Titanic Mission

Old 06-21-2023, 01:21 PM

4,167 posts, read 4,886,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
With all these shady stories coming out, it's a wonder this tin can was even allowed to operate. I suppose money talks.

OceanGate Was Warned of Potential for ‘Catastrophic’ Problems With Titanic Mission
I'm not sure who could have stopped them since this was an experimental vessel. I'm sure the participants probably had to sign some form of liability release for such a risky adventure.

Old 06-21-2023, 01:25 PM

860 posts, read 1,359,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
I'm not sure who could have stopped them since this was an experimental vessel. I'm sure the participants probably had to sign some form of liability release for such a risky adventure.
They most certaintly did, as did a CBS anchor who attended a tour the previous year. The waiver specifically states that emotional trauma, severe pain, and possible death are all on the table. They looked inside that tin can with no seats or safety beacons and said "Take my $250,000".

Old 06-21-2023, 01:30 PM

29,520 posts, read 14,684,728 times
If these words are true, and it's proven the reason this happened was due to diversity hires, and ESG, it's just more proof that making ESG scores more important than skills and knowledge isn't really good for anyone.

The CEO, Stockton Rush, added that “expertise was unnecessary” because “anybody can drive the sub” with a $30 video game controller.
“I wanted our team to be younger, to be inspirational and I’m not going to inspire a 16-year-old to go pursue marine technology, but a 25-year-old, uh, you know, who’s a sub pilot or a platform operator or one of our techs can be inspirational,” said Rush.

Disqualifying a driver with military experience because he’s white and over 50 is quite the edict, particularly given the risk of operating such a vehicle.

Translation: Environmental, social, and governance (ESG) infested OceanGate.

ESG scores — with the “S” representing diversity — degrade companies for hiring white men of a certain age.

ESG awards identity over competence.

https://www.outkick.com/trapped-ocea...ry-experience/

Old 06-21-2023, 01:31 PM

13,221 posts, read 21,844,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
How many times has your Nintendo game controller malfunctioned?

That's what I thought. That fact that something costs $30,000 is not proof it is better than something that is $30.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
That’s an astonishing statement. As someone who has a great many decades of experience with electronic equipment, it’s true that electronic components fail no matter how expensive they are. However, cheaper usually fails first, more frequently, and is thus more unreliable as a general rule. And the age old axiom “you get what you pay for” will always be true.

One should never include such a flawed point, as part of a series of points. It only take one turd to spoil the entire bowl of punch. But there’s more than one floating in this bowl.
You seem to agree with the hyperbolic MSM which are ridiculing the use of the game controller. That alone should give you pause. They are wrong, and Mircea is right.

I noticed you dodged her question: "How many times has your Nintendo game controller malfunctioned?" While I've never used one myself, I've seen my own kids and their friends banging and abusing these things for countless hours without ever having a failure. These kind of consumer goods are hardened by years of testing in adverse conditions that could never be duplicated in a lab. Plus, they have onboard one or more spare consoles according to the owner which is something that most likely wouldn't be possible with an entire custom made console.

The thing that the mindless critics are missing is how a control system like this works. The actual steering and motion mechanisms of stepper motors, servo, gears, bearings, and elaborate engineering are built for the purpose. The game controller is just a dumb front end -- sort of how your phone is just a dumb front end for Google. The user interface and ruggedness of design are happen to be perfect for this application. And if it breaks, you grab the spare and keep going.

Old 06-21-2023, 01:35 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,604,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Canada does have a lot of ships out there assisting. They have planes as well that are dropping listening buoys.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 06-21-2023, 01:46 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,298,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
If these words are true, and it's proven the reason this happened was due to diversity hires, and ESG, it's just more proof that making ESG scores more important than skills and knowledge isn't really good for anyone.

The CEO, Stockton Rush, added that “expertise was unnecessary” because “anybody can drive the sub” with a $30 video game controller.
“I wanted our team to be younger, to be inspirational and I’m not going to inspire a 16-year-old to go pursue marine technology, but a 25-year-old, uh, you know, who’s a sub pilot or a platform operator or one of our techs can be inspirational,” said Rush.

Disqualifying a driver with military experience because he’s white and over 50 is quite the edict, particularly given the risk of operating such a vehicle.

Translation: Environmental, social, and governance (ESG) infested OceanGate.

ESG scores — with the “S” representing diversity — degrade companies for hiring white men of a certain age.

ESG awards identity over competence.

https://www.outkick.com/trapped-ocea...ry-experience/
Shocking arrogance and stupidity and he paid for it with his life and the life of his paying passengers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies