Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2023, 05:52 AM

6,365 posts, read 2,698,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
My guess is that the Navy was initially reluctant to divulge that information as their capabilities are a top classified secret. There were probably high level discussions about the short term benefit of assisting the search efforts versus the long term implications of revealing classified information. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't go all the way to the Defense Secretary or President for permission to let the CG know.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/22/us/su...day/index.html

The navy said that they immediately notified the crews on the scene.

Quote:
The Navy immediately relayed that information to on-scene commanders leading the search effort, and it was used to narrow down the area of the search, the official said Thursday.

But the sound of the implosion was determined to be “not definitive,” the official said, and the multinational efforts to find the submersible continued as a search and rescue effort. The Wall Street Journal was first to report about the acoustic signature picked up by the Navy.
The question is that one has to at least wonder why this "non-definitive" sound that would indicate there was, in fact, an implosion and they were likely deceased wasn't publically mentioned, yet good enough for them to narrow down the search area. But statements of other "non-definitive" sounds of "banging" that might indicate they were alive be made publically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2023, 06:01 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Metal fatigue from expansion and contraction, and thermal stress from temperature changes. Each descent and ascent causes stress. Each temperature change causes stress. You never know when you cross the threshold.

It would be very expensive to build a test container large enough to perform a hydrostatic test of the sub.
Excellent points. Each descent and ascent compromises the integrity of the materials and build. And it's possible that even billionaires are unaware of those facts so consequently, made an extremely foolish decision.

Old 06-23-2023, 06:10 AM

29,444 posts, read 14,628,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Isn't that the Mythbusters doing that after it was hit by a large object?

I believe that video is completely different that what happened in the sub. In that video they are pulling a vacuum, removing all air within side until it implodes. The sub, if what we know now the sub had all pressure and the force of the water around it crushed it, because of a possible leak?
Mythbusters did an episode on what would happen if a diving suit lost pressure, would the divers body be compressed into the helmet....the test was run at 135psi, and the results weren't pretty. I could only imagine what happened at 9000ft below the surface.

https://youtu.be/LEY3fN4N3D8

Old 06-23-2023, 06:12 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,997,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Excellent points. Each descent and ascent compromises the integrity of the materials and build. And it's possible that even billionaires are unaware of those facts so consequently, made an extremely foolish decision.
Yes -- the metal fatigure is real and what most people -- amaterus and experts -- have designated as the cause.

The cost to ensure the integrity of the materials seems to be significant.

There are other crafts that have done these dives, a number of times.

Do they do regular testing of the craft.

Last edited by moneill; 06-23-2023 at 06:26 AM..

Old 06-23-2023, 06:18 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I agree with everything you say, but let me also address the bold.

People may give me hell about this, but some if not all engines that are used in the higher end of the NHRA are rebuilt after every race, which means that engine has the possibility of being rebuilt 5ish+ times within a weekend (or race time frame). They want the best they can have, no matter the price.
Even weekend hobbyist NHRA drag racers rebuild their engines frequently. Not as much as the pros, but they're always tinkering. It's part and parcel of the hobby.

Yes, even for weekend hobbyists, you do have to be a NHRA certified driver, have required safety gear and clothing, and your car has to be safety inspected each time you head out to an NHRA-sanctioned event and/or track.

I used to be intimately involved in the hobby and raced a '64 Chevy C-10 with a 2,000 hp crate engine we dropped into it ourselves. That ALWAYS had to be worked on before and after every race. And don't even get me started on tires, etc. That's just the way it is.

Old 06-23-2023, 06:23 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,584,341 times
Now people are criticizing the navy for not disclosing the noise they picked up. From what I understand they went back and listened to previously recorded noises and heard something a few hours after the sub lost contact. But what should they have done? Told everyone the thing imploded? What if what they heard wasn’t an implosion and they called off the rescue? The navy made the right call but people love to throw blame around.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 06-23-2023, 06:26 AM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Multiple people had tried to warn this company about their ticking time bomb of a sub.

One employee even got fired for trying to warn the company about how unsafe their design was, about how shoddy their test methods were. All ignored and covered up.

So there is zero excuse for the CEO or anyone else in this company to have continued operating as they did. There seems to be this sentiment by some that it's not the fault of anyone at the company, that somehow this was an 'unexpected' tragedy and there are risks associated with this sort of thing. Umm, no. Repeatedly going against or ignoring the advice of people that actually know a thing or two about proper submarine construction and test methods, is criminally negligent.

Old 06-23-2023, 06:35 AM

37,177 posts, read 19,179,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Mythbusters did an episode on what would happen if a diving suit lost pressure, would the divers body be compressed into the helmet....the test was run at 135psi, and the results weren't pretty. I could only imagine what happened at 9000ft below the surface.

4,400 psi at 10,000 feet. Pop.

Old 06-23-2023, 06:40 AM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post

This is what I'm talking about, if you look at the top left you'll see white marks, that's where they dropped a large rock to "compromise" the hull, because while running the test they could not make the implosion happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpWeU2fvFGs

Old 06-23-2023, 06:46 AM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Now people are criticizing the navy for not disclosing the noise they picked up. From what I understand they went back and listened to previously recorded noises and heard something a few hours after the sub lost contact. But what should they have done? Told everyone the thing imploded? What if what they heard wasn’t an implosion and they called off the rescue? The navy made the right call but people love to throw blame around.
They thought what they might have heard at that time was an implosion, there was no way the knew 100% of what the sound was. Just like the sound they heard every 30ish minutes that sounded like someone beating metal. Yes, the Navy did the right thing, if they would have come out and said they are sure it was an implosion and then 3 days later they find the sub intact, they would have berated. Either way, they did the right thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies