Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2023, 10:46 AM

16,130 posts, read 10,805,118 times

Advertisements

Homelessness is a serious national problem that is manifested in urban areas and that cannot be solved at the city level. Liberal (i.e. constitutional) laws might serve to be protective rather than oppressive. The unending cuts in government mental health and other services has produced this national problem. If there was money to be made by helping the homeless the problem would be solved. Of course, the climate has a role in where these people congregate. My guess is that cities buy a bus ticket as a way of coping with homelessness.

Homelessness is only one of their problems, a symptom.
They are mostly not home grown but move around.
They are at risk of predation and abuse.
Many have arrest or criminal records.
Many have mental health issues.
Many have children with them.
Many are military veterans.
Some are tribal people.
Some are addicts.
Some are armed.
Some have jobs that won't cover housing.
Some have physical health issues.
Some live in shelters and get services.
Some are minor runaways.
Some are on meds, some are not.

If we don't find a national solution to the problem, it will get worse.
They can destroy a livable community, neighborhood, or a downtown area.
They can carry or spread illness.
They can destroy a tourist trade.
They can be threatening or violent.
They can overwhelm health or shelter services.
They occupy private or public property.
They gain access to vacant or unsafe buildings.
They will be a costly burden on local resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2023, 10:46 AM

13,888 posts, read 8,086,228 times
As was mentioned Cal. has the weather and the "homeless" often hold top-tier victim status in many of the more popular areas. Outside of assaulting someone (or at least not a taxpayer) you can do pretty much whatever you want. What's not to like?

Old 06-22-2023, 10:54 AM

1,397 posts, read 680,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Homelessness is a serious national problem that is manifested in urban areas and that cannot be solved at the city level. Liberal (i.e. constitutional) laws might serve to be protective rather than oppressive. The unending cuts in government mental health and other services has produced this national problem. If there was money to be made by helping the homeless the problem would be solved. Of course, the climate has a role in where these people congregate. My guess is that cities buy a bus ticket as a way of coping with homelessness.

Homelessness is only one of their problems, a symptom.
They are mostly not home grown but move around.
They are at risk of predation and abuse.
Many have arrest or criminal records.
Many have mental health issues.
Many have children with them.
Many are military veterans.
Some are tribal people.
Some are addicts.
Some are armed.
Some have jobs that won't cover housing.
Some have physical health issues.
Some live in shelters and get services.
Some are minor runaways.
Some are on meds, some are not.

If we don't find a national solution to the problem, it will get worse.
They can destroy a livable community, neighborhood, or a downtown area.
They can carry or spread illness.
They can destroy a tourist trade.
They can be threatening or violent.
They can overwhelm health or shelter services.
They occupy private or public property.
They gain access to vacant or unsafe buildings.
They will be a costly burden on local resources.
Why is the bolded listed as a problem?

Old 06-22-2023, 10:59 AM

18,513 posts, read 9,191,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Coven View Post
It isn’t. The more people who pack heat, the better.

Old 06-22-2023, 11:01 AM

15,948 posts, read 12,318,664 times
I won't lie.. there's part of me that would love to quit my job, take a tent, and squat somewhere in California. I don't fear any of these people or am afraid they will mess with me. I can take care of myself. It's sort of a romantic fantasy to escape the hamster wheel of being a cog of the corporate in the US. All I really want to do is be outside in nature sitting mindfully, disconnected from the dopamine hits of constant screen use that plague modern society today.

The ruling class create this problem because they don't do anything to stop the wealthy from gobbling up all the assets. Foreign investment in real estate. Corporate investment in real estate. Then they create zoning laws to discourage more housing development. What do they think is going to happen?

Old 06-22-2023, 11:36 AM

17,874 posts, read 16,004,006 times
Quote:
If they are mentally ill, they will become mentally ill, the longer they stay homeless. Mentally ill people being armed is a problem.

Old 06-22-2023, 11:45 AM

1,232 posts, read 550,237 times
I think if we had social workers on the street, they could evaluate what each person needs - those from other states could be offered free bus tickets back to their states of origin. If they refuse, then maybe offer incarceration for vagrancy or open-drug-use or something. I'm dead serious.

Old 06-22-2023, 11:51 AM

5,042 posts, read 7,246,948 times
Not only does California have 33% of America's homeless people, it has 50% of America's unsheltered people, meaning people who sleep on the streets, in cars, in encampments. California also has 33% of the country's welfare recipients.

Old 06-22-2023, 12:31 PM

16,130 posts, read 10,805,118 times
Quote:
I give up, why?

Old 06-22-2023, 12:34 PM

5,998 posts, read 2,253,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
Not having a drug addiction and a criminal record also helps. It takes a lot of effort to become homeless in the USA for a person of average ambition and intelligence. Obviously some are naturals at it.
I completely disagree with that statement. The reality is most Americans are living 1-2 paychecks away from the street hence why Credit use is high, consumer debt is high, savings is low, and retirement savings are very low in the US.

If this were the 1980s when you could be part of the working poor and have a car, house, and a few bucks for cigs or beer then I would agree but those days are long past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies