Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2023, 09:14 AM

50,255 posts, read 47,011,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Block View Post
A militia holding guns in member's residences, or in their business locations, or in their vehicles, is a good working order.

But the states control public gun-carry in the cities.

The cities need to be able to control public gun-carry when within the cities. And the cities can make a constitutional claim to that right. Guns would be allowed in residences, in business locations, in vehicles, in locked cases, but not on the person in public places and simply not at the present time
I am betting a heck of a lot more people are concealed carrying, whether legal or not, than most think.

Old 07-03-2023, 09:15 AM

524 posts, read 152,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
The above post illustrates a key difference between Canadians and Americans. Canadians value safety over freedom, and have given away freedoms that they think make them safer. Americans (well, many of us) value freedom over safety and live with the possibilities of some threats accordingly. Of course, they aren't being invaded along their southern border, or have 20 or 30 million illegals running around.

I respect their choice, and I just wish they would respect ours, and stop all the name calling:

"scary ignorant paranoid xenophobes carrying guns" indeed....
The post does in fact illustrate a key difference between the Canadian view and the American, but safety isn't it. The key difference is in this description of how Canadians think of gun ownership, which the poster just glided over: ""We didn't think of gun ownership as a right, it's just a privilege granted by reasonable government ..."

Canadians believe in a fundamentally different type of government than we do, and, even more importantly, they TRUST the government to an extent Americans never have, and I devoutly hope, never will. One sees this implicit (and misplaced) trust in that word "reasonable", as if the the rationality of rulers will be used to the benefit of the ruled, and not their own selfish ends.

Old 07-03-2023, 09:17 AM

5,139 posts, read 3,752,400 times
You can do gun control all you want but the bad guys will always find a way to get them.

Old 07-03-2023, 09:18 AM

8,940 posts, read 2,962,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeOnMadisonStreet View Post
The post does in fact illustrate a key difference between the Canadian view and the American, but safety isn't it. The key difference is in this description of how Canadians think of gun ownership, which the poster just glided over: ""We didn't think of gun ownership as a right, it's just a privilege granted by reasonable government ..."

Canadians believe in a fundamentally different type of government than we do, and, even more importantly, they TRUST the government to an extent Americans never have, and I devoutly hope, never will. One sees this implicit (and misplaced) trust in that word "reasonable", as if the the rationality of rulers will be used to the benefit of the ruled, and not their own selfish ends.
This is what I said in an earlier post.

Canada IS NOT based on individual liberty. It's based on collectivism, with a system that allows the central government to impose extreme measures on their citizens.

There is no 1st amendment. There is no 2nd amendment. These concepts exist at the will of the prime minister. They can (and have been) revoked at any time.

Americans view government as a necessary evil (At least Republicans and some Democrats do), Canadians view government as their savior.

Old 07-03-2023, 09:19 AM

50,255 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think your post was thoughtful and not too, too knee jerk except for your last sentence (which was knee jerk) and I appreciate you taking the time to tell your story. Your post prompted me to think about myself and siblings living the homesteading life in the north woods during the 50's, raised by parents who were both military veterans of WW2. My siblings and I all had our first rifles, .22's, given to us on our respective 9th birthdays and all of them and offspring still have their respective collections of guns acquired over the past 70 years. Everybody we knew back then all owned firearms. Nobody thought anything of it. We didn't think of gun ownership as a right, its just a privilege granted by reasonable government and legally granted ownership to citizens is a sign of respect and recognition of the owner being an upstanding, law-abiding citizen who is credited with having good sense. Nobody in this country carries openly or concealed in public unless they're military or police. Nobody has to or needs to.

We didn't need to hunt for food when I was growing up or afterwards because we raised our own food on the homestead. Some of mine and my siblings' children and grandchildren today do hunt once a year for moose for freezer-camp for their own households/families. I never hunted because there was no need to hunt for meat, I grew it instead, and as a very petite woman I didn't want to go hunting and slogging through swamps and mosquitoes in the bush anyway. It's filthy, hard enough work for real men to hunt for game in this country, let alone little women. But I've always kept firearms handy at home for use on the farm as needed and for predators coming after livestock on my homesteads/farms and I've used them when it was necessary to do so. It isn't boast-worthy and neither were my guns anything to gloat about. In Canada they're just ordinary tools for people.

I sold all my guns when I moved away from the farm and into a secured community for seniors when I turned 70. What an ironic twist for you and I at that age, you finally got a gun at 70 to protect yourself from stupid people and I got rid of all of mine because it's safer for me and my neighbours to rid myself of them now. I have pepper spray now in case I need it, and I DO carry it on my person when I go out. Have not needed it though except to occasionally break up dog fights on the sidewalk in front of the house.

I'm sorry your mom and her kids were poor and had to endure hardships. I'm sorry your brother had to hunt squirrels and rabbits to put food on your mother's table to feed her and your siblings, so I wish kudos to your brother for being a responsible and reliable person. And I'm sorry that after all these many years that you finally had to break down and get yourself a hand gun because of your concerns and feeling a need to protect yourself the only way you know how. I think that's a sad thing for you to be feeling fearful for your safety from your own country-people at your age.

With regard to the last sentence in your post, I think you wouldn't call me ignorant if you read some of my other posts about other unrelated topics here on CD. With regard to me staying the ---- in Canada, I've driven alone in my vehicle visiting many states in your country over the course of 50 years just to visit, take my time and see what it was like and I enjoyed it, saw some wonderful things and met some truly wonderful people, and met plenty of scary ignorant paranoid xenophobes carrying guns too.

But it isn't the same country now that it was during all those times I visited over half a century of time. I didn't get to see everything there that was on my bucket list but I called it quits 10 years ago and I can promise you in all sincerity that I (and my money) will never, ever return to visit America again and will definitely stay the ---- in my own country where it's safer from so many dangerous crazy nuts who have access to guns. I wish you all good luck (you will need it in the immediate future as times get worse) and I still think you all need to ration all ammunition for everybody and everybody must show proof and just cause for needing more rations if they want more. If you want to make a dent in the random mass killings by people who are too cowardly, lazy and stupid to even put personal effort into their dirty deeds and killings you have to nip them in the bud realistically. Take away their ammunition and the raw resources needed by people who want to make more on the side for profit.

Thank you for voluntarily never entering our sacred ground again. I can't imagine being locked into a rest home with someone with such radical thoughts. Worse than death itself.

Think I'll stop by the range today and test out some reloaded ammo. Then stop off and get some ice cold beers before firing off some fireworks.

Merica!!

People that talk the most smack about firearms literally depend on someone else to keep them safe by using firearms, just someone with enough gnards to use them if need be.

We are celebrating our independence from the same Govt you bow down to.

Old 07-03-2023, 09:26 AM

18,432 posts, read 8,264,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Death metal promotes violence and death. Plenty of violent punk rock songs. Those are mostly White genres. Not nearly the same levels of murder.
exactly.....and somehow the white kids didn't go down that same road

blacks however, embraced it.....the black ghetto thug culture

Old 07-03-2023, 09:39 AM

524 posts, read 152,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
No. It's making the choice to be violent. People are violent because they see the rest of society as "kill or be killed". If you're trying to push the "Blacks are inferior" narrative, forget it.
Born and raised and with over 60 years on the Madison Street in my screen name, most of those years as the only White in sight, I'm not "pushing" any "narrative". I know who blacks are—and how they are—from face-to-face experience—all levels of experience, from mortal enemy to bosom buddy friendship. Your being black can cow other Whites, but not me.

Old 07-03-2023, 09:47 AM

73,002 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeOnMadisonStreet View Post
Born and raised and with over 60 years on the Madison Street in my screen name, most of those years as the only White in sight, I'm not "pushing" any "narrative". I know who blacks are—and how they are—from face-to-face experience—all levels of experience, from mortal enemy to bosom buddy friendship. Your being black can cow other Whites, but not me.
I grew up in the suburbs outside of Atlanta and saw something different from you. If your viewpoint of Black Americans is based on Madison Street, then you have a limited and ignorant view of the world.

Old 07-03-2023, 09:50 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,604,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
The NRA would rather there is a pile of dead people than the state perform what they feel violates the RTKBA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Get rid of the ammunition and make it impossible for people to make their own. How do people fail to see that as an effective measure? Or are people just making up more excuses and not wanting to consider that option?

There is so much of this absolutely ridiculous nonsense in this thread, it is near comedy.

Old 07-03-2023, 09:52 AM

73,002 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
exactly.....and somehow the white kids didn't go down that same road

blacks however, embraced it.....the black ghetto thug culture
Most Black Americans aren't killing each other. A fraction of the Black population, 99% of it within the underclass, is killing each other. And it's mostly in the ghettos. And Black on Black murder was at high rates long before rap music was even invented. Go look up murder stats from the 1950s. And then ask yourself where ghetto culture came from.

Big difference between the ghettos vs the rest of the Black population. The majority of the Black isn't in the underclass or the ghettos. But I don't think I should have to say that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies