Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2023, 08:43 AM

30,086 posts, read 18,701,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Elnina didn’t learn to read in that left leaning education system she bemoans!
That was mean............ and unwarranted -

She, as demonstrated by her posts, is very educated and intelligent.

The vast majority of people who ARE EDUCATED think the document was signed on the 4th. It is just a common misconception.

It's just a weird, fun fact that is somewhat surprising to most people.

Old 07-04-2023, 08:46 AM

48,559 posts, read 34,935,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm108 View Post
If this country is collapsing, I can't go anywhere. There is nowhere else to go in this world to be free. I've been and lived in a few places and there is no freedom there like here in the US. Americans don't know how good they have it here, they have no idea. Or I should say how good they had it here before this whole divisiveness started.

I know that the majority of people would give up freedom for the security of being/belonging to a group. They would rather lie to themselves and be complacent. Politicians know this and take advantage of it.
Good lord. US isn't even in the top 10 of countries based upon the Freedoms Index.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-04-2023, 08:48 AM

48,559 posts, read 34,935,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Apparently 2/3 don't.
When asked what July 4 is meant to officially commemorate, only 59% gave the correct answer: “The signing of the Declaration of Independence.”

https://nypost.com/2023/07/04/do-ame...ce-day-july-4/
Yeah, but 89% either got it right, or darn close (I would say they had the intent correct, if not the exact detail).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-04-2023, 08:51 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,071,047 times
Do Americans know the true meaning of Independence Day on Fourth of July?

While I will enjoy the day, there is no denying; we have become the very nation my ancestors fought so hard to escape.

Old 07-04-2023, 08:57 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,071,047 times
Quote:
There is nowhere else to go in this world to be free. I've been and lived in a few places and there is no freedom there like here in the US.

Nonsense, where exactly outside the U.S. have you resided?
I know for fact in such countries as the Dominican Republic; you don't see police unless they are called.
While here in my state, I just saw an army of troopers pulling people over for various minor garbage.
And lest we forget the lock downs, in fact; our fireworks and many others were cancelled last year...due to a mass shooting 20 miles away.
Fear has replaced freedom.

Old 07-04-2023, 09:03 AM

38,014 posts, read 22,198,300 times
Quote:
Apparently 2/3 don't.
When asked what July 4 is meant to officially commemorate, only 59% gave the correct answer: “The signing of the Declaration of Independence.”

https://nypost.com/2023/07/04/do-ame...ce-day-july-4/
Sadly, we can put out a man on the street, and find Americans who think we gained our independence from Mexico or Canada.

Old 07-04-2023, 09:05 AM

47,000 posts, read 26,056,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Considering how many of these stories like this go, I'd say the respondents did pretty well. 59% nailed the answer, and 22% came close, choosing “The establishment of the United States as an independent nation.”

Although I'd like to see this done in a format that's not multiple choice.
That seems pretty vague, honestly. But it's the NY Post, so they are looking for a "Today's youth is not patriotic like you are!" sentiment.

Old 07-04-2023, 09:11 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,408,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That seems pretty vague, honestly. But it's the NY Post, so they are looking for a "Today's youth is not patriotic like you are!" sentiment.
Yeah they do this all the time. You see it on Fox and YouTube. They go find some pierced, purple haired crackhead and stage it. People love this crap it sells. Every moron on the planet loves feeling smarter than the next imbecile. In this sense now you have become something above average because you know the answer to a simple question that others don't. Because I after all am a constitutional scholar. I start shouting "look at the dumb people on TV momma" when they do these things.

Old 07-04-2023, 09:16 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,485,578 times
Quote:
If this country is collapsing, I can't go anywhere. There is nowhere else to go in this world to be free. I've been and lived in a few places and there is no freedom there like here in the US. Americans don't know how good they have it here, they have no idea. Or I should say how good they had it here before this whole divisiveness started.

I know that the majority of people would give up freedom for the security of being/belonging to a group. They would rather lie to themselves and be complacent. Politicians know this and take advantage of it.
I`m pretty happy when I visit Canada or Costa Rica. Those 2 countries don`t have an obsession with Big military and they`re as free as we are.

Old 07-04-2023, 11:01 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,194,338 times
Quote:
Apparently 2/3 don't.
It isn't taught in schools.

High schools don't teach students how to write essays correctly, either.

I had to waste a 1 or 2 class periods teaching the Declaration, which was killing two birds with one stone because it is the single-most best example of an essay:

1) It states a premise (the writer's biases/bases for beliefs)
2) It presents an hypothesis
3) It presents facts to support the hypothesis
4) It makes general conclusions
5) It makes a specific final conclusion

My students only needed to present an hypothesis, support it with facts, and draw a specific conclusion.

I went through it line by line because in the Intro to International Relations course I was teaching only a handful of the 110-120 students had actually seen it in high school.

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America,...

Note the lowercase "u" in "united." The Declaration created 13 separate independent countries. In political science as well as the language of the day, State and country are synonymous.

When in the Course of human events,...

"Course" in 1776 means being on the rag, you know, that time of the month.

Course and menstrual cycle are synonymous. The operand is "cycle."

Those men were saying they believed human history to be cyclic and that periodically in history momentous changes come about.

In spite of my most heroic efforts, some students still turned in one big giant two-page paragraph with run-on sentences about feelings. I gave them an "F" and told them they could re-submit with a max grade of "B" if it was perfect. Some still turned in one big giant two-page paragraph with run-on sentences about feelings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.