Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2023, 09:17 AM

3,650 posts, read 1,605,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
No.

The trans movement is a major issue because activists have made it so - it's been exploding over the last decade.

There is a distinction between puberty blockers and hormones used to aid in actual gender transition. But you would know that if you were better educated on the subject - as you would also know that there are serious implications for it's use. Just as you would know that puberty blockers aren't even approved by the FDA to treat gender dysphoria.
Good point. And also there is no 'standard' care, procedure, or medical codes for a trans that wants to de-trans. De-transitioners are thrown under the bus.

Maybe gender Dr's think de-transitioners have a mental illness? They'll probably add a new condition- "gender de-transition dysphoria" to DSM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2023, 09:50 AM

30,077 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
Maybe because Gender Dysphoria is not the same as being transexual (Or "transsexualism). The second criteria for Gender Dysphoria in DSM-V is "the condition is associated with clinically significant distress or impairment in social, school, or other important areas of functioning." If someone is transexual, or gender nonconforming, and they function fine in society, or they have no distress or impairment RELATED TO THEIR GENDER IDENTITY, then it's not Gender Dysphoria
That is quite true.

However, has ANYONE ever encountered a well adjusted transgender person?

Old 07-05-2023, 09:53 AM

8,946 posts, read 2,968,764 times
It is absolutely a mental illness. A bad one, too!

Old 07-05-2023, 12:22 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,759,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
I think it's sad, no, an outrage, that even if it is a mental illness that people would treat them so badly and attack them both physically and politically. I think being treated so badly would be enough to illicit a mental illness. Being accepted and treated with dignity by society leads to a healthier mental state for trans people. 1 in 6 Americans take a psychiatric drug. 24.5% of college students are taking meds for depression, anxiety or mood. Shall we demonize ALL Americans on psychiatric drugs? Or just trans people? If you believe it's a real mental illness, then it's not choice. Where's the compassion?
The people who are treating them badly are affirming them without therapy for underlying issues, are giving them puberty blockers, cross sex hormone, surgery, etc.

Old 07-05-2023, 12:24 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,478,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
That is quite true.

I don`t know a single one but try as I may, I can`t think of a single reason to care what they do.

Old 07-05-2023, 12:27 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,759,879 times
Quote:
That is quite true.

I know one who seems pretty normal. I know one who I am sure it’s a fetish. I know some trans kids and they are not well psychologically.

Old 07-05-2023, 12:36 PM

11,036 posts, read 5,995,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Then you aren't living in reality.

And if it isn't permanent, what is the harm? If a kid thinks they might be the opposite gender, then tries the puberty blockers for a while, but later changes their mind, they can stop the puberty blockers and resume their puberty development.
A better plan would be for the kid to receive counseling for a while, and then see if the dysphoria resolves itself as they grow up as is the case with 85 to 90% of cases as we are given to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The people who are treating them badly are affirming them without therapy for underlying issues, are giving them puberty blockers, cross sex hormone, surgery, etc.
This.

Old 07-05-2023, 01:14 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,600,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Lets face it, - transgenderism is a major issue / threat only because people like DeSantis says it is. You'll never hear it again after 2024 elections, just like what happened in 2016 with Hillary's hard drive and Benghazi.

Do they? From what I have read, the blockers have been used for decades to delay puberty in kids who reach puberty too early, like at 8 yrs. Puberty resumes when medication is stopped. Parental consent is required for prescriptions.

PS Puberty blockers are hormones.
Puberty blockers aren't "hormones". In fact, they're hormone antagonists. That's why they were once used to delay puberty, but are rarely used for that purpose today because of their horrible side effects. The pharmaceutical aspect of "transitioning" is often touted as reversible that's simply not true.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 07-05-2023, 01:17 PM

35,719 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Quote:
That is quite true.

What do you think about K Jenner? She has money, although had to live through the kardash mill. So I think economics and educational experience does produce the same quality of people.
There are a few in government, etc.

Old 07-05-2023, 01:20 PM

35,719 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Puberty blockers aren't "hormones". In fact, they're hormone antagonists. That's why they were once used to delay puberty, but are rarely used for that purpose today because of their horrible side effects. The pharmaceutical aspect of "transitioning" is often touted as reversible that's simply not true.
Hate to disagree , and I’m sure some people have more than one issue to. Contend with. But they are reversible

Are Puberty Blockers Reversible? What You Should Know Before Treatment

https://www.healthline.com/health/ar...ers-reversible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies