Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2023, 05:40 PM

319 posts, read 198,994 times

Advertisements

They were my model back in the early '70s when I first began home-brewing in San Francisco. The cool climate there allowed you to get started for peanuts. Unlike lagers where you'd need access to a chilled area over time, steam beer could go through fermentation in your basement quickly so you'd have your beverage for cheap in a short amount of time... very important when you're young, impatient, and working with limited cash.

It's just one more tradition lost in today's San Francisco. Once Fritz Maytag was gone it was likely only a matter of time, but between the corporate takeover and the City's gross mismanagement it was pretty-much inevitable.

RIP Anchor Steam...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2023, 06:33 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,112,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It wasn't a bar, it was a brewery that sold their beer nationally. The article itself states they couldn't survive the losses from the pandemic as their sales to bars and tap rooms across the country stopped instantly. It said they tried to get into supermarkets then, but were late to the game. Homelessness and crime would not have had any impact on a sales model that depends on national sales to survive.

Sometimes companies are simply mismanaged, too.
They (anchor brewery) also said their building was old and outdated (read not safe) and they couldn’t afford to remodel and apparently moving away from the expensive taxes wasn’t an option.

Old 07-16-2023, 08:37 AM

28,343 posts, read 16,416,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber123rd View Post
Funnily enough, Green Flash set up an East Coast brewery in a brand-new $20 million building in Virginia Beach, and attempted to expand its distribution nationwide. It lasted about two years (2016-2018) before the poor financial state of the company forced them to shut down the facility and reduce distribution back to just eight states.
Yep, so did Sierra Nevada and Oskar Blues - both in/near Asheville, NC.

Old 07-16-2023, 08:38 AM

28,343 posts, read 16,416,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
120 Minute, unlike so many things in life lives up to the hype. It's wonderful.
For sure!

Old 07-16-2023, 08:41 AM

9,543 posts, read 4,370,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Usually I agree with your posts but not here. Craft beer tastes a lot better than watered down mass produced **** water, and it also packs a higher alcohol punch. Win win in my book. I don't pay more for it to show that I'm hip either, lol
Fair enough. I was feeling a little feisty when I posted. There are actually some craft beers I like, and I've also owned several full-sized pickups. But I seriously don't understand the Harley thing.

Old 07-16-2023, 09:10 AM

2,032 posts, read 878,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Craft beer in general is a pandemic. Nasty stuff. Craft beer is like Starbucks coffee. Undeniably disgusting, yet people pay more for it to show how hip they are. Both are symptomatic of a pandemic of low self-esteem, as are full-sized pickup trucks and Harley-Davidson motorcycles.
Congrats! I'm awarding you the stupidest post of the week award!

Old 07-16-2023, 10:49 AM

47,019 posts, read 26,080,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntCoffey View Post
Unlike lagers where you'd need access to a chilled area over time, steam beer could go through fermentation in your basement quickly so you'd have your beverage for cheap in a short amount of time... very important when you're young, impatient, and working with limited cash.
"We can brew this quickly on the cheap!" is not really a rousing slogan for people looking for quality in their beer, though.

Old 07-25-2023, 01:39 PM

73,107 posts, read 62,755,053 times
San Francisco is not alone in having a craft brewery closing. I live in Huntsville, AL. Two craft breweries are closing, this month. Look up Salty Nut Brewery and Fractal Brewing Project. This is a Republican city (although it's considered progressive by Alabama standards) and it's about to lose two breweries. According to some sources, COVID-19 pretty much blew it for them.

Old 07-25-2023, 09:14 PM

9,143 posts, read 5,816,517 times
Never tried one, but it's a shame to see em go.

Old 07-25-2023, 09:17 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,071,161 times
So all of you...Anchor Brewing is not just a local brewer. It produced it's product for nation wide distribution. So you can blame San Fransisco for their poor sales...or just admit that their beer can't compete in the very competitive craft beer market.

And when more people step away form the Michelob, Coors, and all the other mediocre beer and try some of the newer stuff....they won will dump those beers too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies