Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2023, 10:28 AM

45,644 posts, read 27,260,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
They have been working on this plan for a while now, same as the changes in PSLF. The PSLF waiver started in late 2021 and ended in October, 2022, and this round of forgiveness is just processing and updating payment counts based on the PSLF waiver rules.
Do you understand what I am getting at?

They seem to be purposely causing confusion here between the forgiveness that the USSC shot down - and this forgiveness which appears to be part of the deal from what you are saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2023, 10:30 AM

4,411 posts, read 1,713,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
So 10 years of paying nothing and then the loan gets forgiven.

Can I buy a car with those terms ?
The new terms are pretty generous, that’s for sure. But those new terms aren’t even in effect yet, and wont be for some time. Right now, it’s payments for 20-25 years before forgiveness. Today’s announced forgiveness is for the 20-25 year plans.

Old 07-14-2023, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Do you understand what I am getting at?

They seem to be purposely causing confusion here between the forgiveness that the USSC shot down - and this forgiveness which appears to be part of the deal from what you are saying.
Oh, the announcement is purely political, and the braintrust that is C-D POC posters show how confusing it is. But what should they have done? They announced that it is for the IBR plans. They sent notices to people on IBR plans. What else should they have done?

Old 07-14-2023, 10:35 AM

16,912 posts, read 10,610,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
So 10 years of paying nothing and then the loan gets forgiven.

Can I buy a car with those terms ?
I often wonder if responsible people are now doing a disservice to their own children by NOT teaching them to be totally irresponsible adults.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 07-14-2023, 11:23 AM

6,089 posts, read 2,876,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, I think so. Empty talk. I wonder why now, and not in 2024, but then again, I don't think he will be in the race next year. I dont see the point.
Because he's a threat to our democracy. Purposefully usurping the Legislative branch, after the Judicial branch said he did not have the authority to do so, is quite dangerous!

Old 07-14-2023, 01:00 PM

43,199 posts, read 18,363,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I often wonder if responsible people are now doing a disservice to their own children by NOT teaching them to be totally irresponsible adults.
Some people still need to be responsible to pay the bills of those that aren't.

Old 07-14-2023, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Because he's a threat to our democracy. Purposefully usurping the Legislative branch, after the Judicial branch said he did not have the authority to do so, is quite dangerous!
How is he usurping the legislative branch? These are laws/programs that are already on the books. He's just "enforcing" them.

Old 07-14-2023, 02:31 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,336,963 times
If the United States can send more than $75 billion in war assistance to Ukraine, why can't Biden wipe out $39 Billion in Student Loans debt?

Old 07-14-2023, 05:44 PM

9,921 posts, read 4,678,883 times
Tax liability on unpaid balance? Taxable as income that year?

Old 07-14-2023, 06:08 PM

25,982 posts, read 22,176,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
If the United States can send more than $75 billion in war assistance to Ukraine, why can't Biden wipe out $39 Billion in Student Loans debt?
And, pay off everyone's car loan, mortgage payment, and credit card balances? What about build homes for all the homeless, give free food to everyone, clothing too.....................

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/14/polit...ion/index.html

"At the time he announced that his administration would pursue another plan to provide one-time debt relief based on a different law from the original plan. But it’s a pathway that requires a formal rule-making process, which can take months, and the details of which have not yet been announced. He also announced that his administration will ease the transition period for borrowers ahead of payments resuming with an “on ramp” period to help borrowers avoid penalties if they miss payments during the first year."

"Several Republican-led states and conservative groups filed legal challenges against the president’s student loan forgiveness program, and some Republican lawmakers have strongly criticized Biden’s changes to the student loan system."

Time to get that second job, or some a job in the first place, and start making those loan payments!

Or maybe consider one of the loan forgiveness programs already available, but yeah, that will require more time and effort than filling out an application!

https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/...public-service

"https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/loans/student-loans/student-loan-forgiveness

https://educationdata.org/student-lo...eness-programs

How to get your loans paid off, as we did it at our house:
1. No eating out.
2. No newer vehicles, and do maintenance on the ones you have.
3. No entertainment budget, no cable TV (you won't have time working that 2nd job anyway)
4. Get that 2nd job, yeah, life is tough.
5. You only buy necessities.
6. Vacations? After the loan is paid off, with your new found budgeting skills, you should have a nice vacation when you start saving for it!

This should take care of it. Yeah, sometimes being a grown up isn't all that fun. I am so tired of these whiners over student loans. Expecting those that have a job and paid off their student loans to cover their debt, what a bunch of horse poop!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies