Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 09:33 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,356,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Our western economies manage to flourish because people buy products, use them for awhile and then throw them away and buy a new one. As technology keeps getting more sophisticated, particularly in electronic equipment, cameras, televisions, computers, etc. you can buy a product and it's obsolete in several years and ends up in a landfill. I'm not saying that I don't want technology to advance but we'll reach a point when certain materials are just too valuable to throw away and they will have to be recycled because it's going to be too expensive to get the raw materials.
There is so much building going on in China that there has even been shortages of concrete and I read that some sections of a new freeway they were building in Phoenix when I lived there had to be delayed because they couldn't get the concrete delivered on time due to the worldwide shortage. I think we're just seeing the beginning stages of the depletion of our natural resources and it will continue to get worse.
You are right on China. I know steel, copper and most electronic raw materials are in short supply, or have prices which are adjusted each day due to demand. They have a booming machine going wide open. We really need to wake up to the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 10:08 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
I had expected a few people to post some comments about religious events that they believe may happen in this century which is why I left it as an open question. I think this one is going to get moved into the Politics forum.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:40 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,356,599 times
Quote:
I had expected a few people to post some comments about religious events that they believe may happen in this century which is why I left it as an open question. I think this one is going to get moved into the Politics forum.
I had one of mine threads moved here; it is sure a lot more hostile than our good old R&P. I think it is hell for bad threads . I was glad when mind died off so I could make a tactical retreat till after the election was over.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:56 PM

84 posts, read 272,957 times
Quote:

IMO "religious events" happen all the time, EVEYWHERE. Please define this term?

The largest obstacle to mankind has, and always will be Ignorance. The ignorance of seeing God as seperate from oneself, and therefore seeing others as seperate. This breeds all manner of horror which we have experienced for centuries.

mark

Old 06-01-2008, 10:15 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times
Neoconservatives and their ilk.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:22 PM

712 posts, read 1,366,711 times
Quote:
This could be a religious or a philosophical question, depending on your point of view. I have some thoughts on the subject and then feel free to comment on what I've said or state what you consider to be the greatest threat to mankind in this century.
I see two threats that would top my list. One is the proliferation of weapons and the increasing sophistication of military technology with greater destructive capabilities. Another threat that really isn't talked about much is the possibility that nations could end up going to war over the dwindling supply of natural resources and raw materials. Let me explain this threat in a little more detail. One natural resource that we're all dependent on and is skyrocketing in price is of course oil. Now that nations like China, India and others have modernized at a rapid rate in recent years there is a greater need for fuel than ever but all of the oil that was easy to get at has already been depleted and there is a finite amount of oil in the world. Of course we should have been planning for the future after the seventies oil crisis but we didn't. It's not just oil that nations need, it's all of the raw materials like copper and other metals and all of the other countless materials that manufacturers use for all of the products we buy.
What I'm really getting at here is that it's not possible for the entire world to live in the manner that Europeans and Americans have been doing for decades. There simply aren't enough natural resources available for that to happen. At some point the lifestyles that we're all accustomed to will become unsustainable as more and more nations compete for a dwindling supply of raw materials and the results could be catastrophic.
Anyway, those are my thoughts about it, what do you think?
There has never been a threat to mankind and never will. People love to live in fear it seems. Why not though right? When we are scared we spend money! Its all a dirty business. Its the business of fear. Fear makes people money.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:26 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I had one of mine threads moved here; it is sure a lot more hostile than our good old R&P. I think it is hell for bad threads . I was glad when mind died off so I could make a tactical retreat till after the election was over.
Wellcome to the full contact forum.

In response to the initial question I think cultural differences, and the fear of "outsiders" will be the greatest threat to mankind. I think economics and scarcity will not have nearly the negative impact some suspect due to technological advances.

But we still won't particularly get along very well.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:27 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
"""What Do You Think Will Be The Greatest Threat To Mankind In This Century? """

Lack of water...it'll make everything else unimportant.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:29 PM

413 posts, read 782,628 times
One century ago, most of us would have been peasants.

I'm glad I was born after the first big (industrial) war, and I hope to live before the last big (nuclear) one.

Couple quotes:

"Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind." - John F. Kennedy, Speech to UN General Assembly, Sept. 25, 1961

"I don't know what weapons World War Three will be fought with, but World War four will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

Old 06-01-2008, 10:30 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
"""What Do You Think Will Be The Greatest Threat To Mankind In This Century? """

Lack of water...it'll make everything else unimportant.
I think that technology will overcome much of this issue:

Water Technology - Tampa Bay Seawater Desalination Plant

Desalination plant clears hurdle : North County Times - Californian (http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/06/07/news/sandiego/11_31_046_6_07.txt - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies