Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2023, 05:51 PM

17,464 posts, read 14,706,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Longer clip here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C74K8_3VzT8

If anyone has a link to the complete follow-up to that, I would like to see it. (I will say that it was not clear to me exactly what Pence was saying because I think that he could have been replying to Tucker saying that the U.S. has spent billions due to Ukraine.)

But to be clear, I am not a fan of Pence now, in any case -- and I never was.

P.S. On Edit: I did find the following article with more info about the follow-up and it includes the text of what is being discussed on this thread.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/...cern.%E2%80%9D
Do I think Pence meant what he said?

No.

And I watched it live and was like WTF?

But this is a horrific look for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2023, 06:06 PM

8,058 posts, read 10,656,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
I am! Hutchinson, Tim Scott, Mike Pence are done. Next!

** edit - this is so much better than a debate. It's great!
Yes, I just got back from the summit about an hour ago. The consensus was that Hutchinson and Pence both bombed.

Tim Scott did not come off nearly as poorly as they did. He still has a chance, maybe as a Vice Presidential contender.

Old 07-14-2023, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
It's happening again.

The more DeSantis speaks, the less I like him.

It's not what he says. I don't think he's insincere. He's got great points, great policy .. but ... something isn't quite right.

He has one volume, one note, one tone when he speaks - there is no real vocal fluctuation.

I honestly think he's missing the "I like people" gene. Maybe a bit on the spectrum.
We've got serioius, serioius problems. We don't need a President that entertains us. Barack Obama had a lot of charisma and could really get a crowd going back in the day, and look where that got us. Trump has charisma, true. But what did he really do for average people as President? And how many things did he NOT do that he said he would.

One of the most beloved President's in my lifetime was Ronald Reagan. Yet many of his policies actually harmed the middle class and have led to the huge gap in wealth between the haves and have-nots that we have today. Trickle down - didn't happen. That was a lie.

At least Desantis speaks about definite ways he would deal with specific issues and not in grand platitudes.

I actually think we need that. The "spectrum" crap is something the left is circulating about Desantis that has no basis whatsoever. He has a military background. Being no-nonsense does not mean someone is autistic. You heard somewhere else say it and decided to repeat it here.

Old 07-14-2023, 06:25 PM

6,100 posts, read 2,881,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
We've got serious, serious problems. We don't need a President that entertains us. Barack Obama had a lot of charisma and could really get a crowd going back in the day, and look where that got us. Trump has charisma, true. But what did he really do for average people as President? And how many things did he NOT do that he said he would.
It's not even that. It's that President Biden has undone much of what Former President Trump was able to accomplish. If Former President Trump is able to remove the "former" from his title next year, it doesn't matter if the Republicans do not control both chambers of Congress. Nothing of substance would get accomplished. And, Former President Trump's previous record of being president while the Republicans didn't have control of both chambers of Congress involved trillions of dollars of new debt and budgets that were worse than those under the Obama Administration.

We need an actual Conservative, this time, not a populist. We are too far down the rabbit hole to waste another four years...

Old 07-14-2023, 06:27 PM

17,464 posts, read 14,706,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
We've got serioius, serioius problems. We don't need a President that entertains us. Barack Obama had a lot of charisma and could really get a crowd going back in the day, and look where that got us. Trump has charisma, true. But what did he really do for average people as President? And how many things did he NOT do that he said he would.

One of the most beloved President's in my lifetime was Ronald Reagan. Yet many of his policies actually harmed the middle class and have led to the huge gap in wealth between the haves and have-nots that we have today. Trickle down - didn't happen. That was a lie.

At least Desantis speaks about definite ways he would deal with specific issues and not in grand platitudes.

I actually think we need that. The "spectrum" crap is something the left is circulating about Desantis that has no basis whatsoever. He has a military background. Being no-nonsense does not mean someone is autistic. You heard somewhere else say it and decided to repeat it here.
The spectrum stuff? I have not heard it anywhere. It’s 100% my own opinion. It has zero to do with him being “no nonsense” and has more to do with how he reacts to people and how he speaks. Believe me, or don’t, I don’t really care.

As for charisma? Yeah it matters. We are in a whole new world - to act like it doesn’t matter would be foolish.

As for what Trump has done … we have him to thank for the end of affirmative action & Roe. No other President can come close.

Old 07-14-2023, 06:30 PM

38,033 posts, read 22,209,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Tucker hands him the rope and Pence hangs himself

Pence’s response? “that’s not my concern”
https://twitter.com/search?q=Pence%2...rc=typed_query
That was a strange response responding that way when Tucker asked where is Pence's concern for the United States, and Pence says “that’s not my concern.” It's strange. Tucker asked if increased inflation, crime and social disorder are a concern, and Pence says "that's not my concern," then why did Pence go on to list the things he is concerned about, like law and order in our cities and improving our economy???? What did Pence mean when he referred to "that routine" from Tucker that he said he's heard before???

Last edited by Wapasha; 07-14-2023 at 06:41 PM..

Old 07-14-2023, 06:45 PM

19,861 posts, read 9,418,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
That was a strange response responding that way when Tucker asked where is Pence's concern for the United States, and Pence says “that’s not my concern.” It's strange. If increased inflation, crime and social disorder are "not my concern," then why did Pence go on to list the things he is concerned about, like law and order in our cities and improving our economy????
Yes, and that is why I wanted to see the follow-up. It didn't (and doesn't) make sense to me because if he was not concerned about the decline of the cities, then why would he bring up law and order?

I think the most reasonable explanation is that he MEANT that Ukraine and the poor condition of most major cities are both important issues -- but if that is what he did mean, I don't think he made that clear.

And as others have pointed out, a POTUS needs to address and concern himself with many issues -- not just the one or two (or however many) he or she personally cares about.

Old 07-14-2023, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
The spectrum stuff? I have not heard it anywhere. It’s 100% my own opinion. It has zero to do with him being “no nonsense” and has more to do with how he reacts to people and how he speaks. Believe me, or don’t, I don’t really care.

As for charisma? Yeah it matters. We are in a whole new world - to act like it doesn’t matter would be foolish.

As for what Trump has done … we have him to thank for the end of affirmative action & Roe. No other President can come close.
I have heard the "on the spectrum" regarding Desantis several times now - usually from the left trying to find fault with Desantis.

He does not take a lot of crap from the press. Trump should have not taken as much as he did.

I agree that Trump has charisma. Tons. I voted for him twice. But he did not have the smarts to clear people out of the White House that should not have remained there when he took office, and nor did he understand that the Democrats were determined to unseat him by any means necessary. He should have put more precautions against fraudulant ballots in place before the 2020 election, knowing they would use dirty tricks.

I am also still waiting for Trump to stand up for all of those misquided, perhaps low-IQ, but well meaning people that went the Capital on 1/6 because they thought they were supporting him. I have not heard him do so.

Old 07-15-2023, 08:36 AM

25,882 posts, read 12,918,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
DeSantis will not do well. I've yet to see him answer any tough questions without him reverting to his mantra about being anti-woke and I've yet to see him not lose his temper when questioned repeatedly on a subject.
I just watched the entire Carlson-DeSantis interview, and DeSantis did very well...A-. DeSantis regained some of his lost momentum doing this.

I do think Tucker was softer on DeSantis than he was on the other 3 I watched...Hutchinson, Pence, & Scott.

I didnt watch the Haley one yet.

Tucker's making the rest of the news media world look totally inept, & I'm glad Glenn Beck provided Tucker this platform.

I'd like to see Tucker become the White House Press Secretary, AND close advisor to the President. Tucker knows how politically-minded center-Right Americans are thinking, & is articulating it in his questions.

Old 07-15-2023, 08:42 AM

7,660 posts, read 8,739,721 times
7:35-7:52 " Now you are making me nervous "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j7YSqM5DBk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies