Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2023, 03:22 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,850,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
South Florida is the least affordable housing market in the nation, - worse than SF or NYC.

You COULD live in rural areas where its cheaper, but thats not where the jobs are.

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/w...bility%20Index.
Miami remains the least affordable housing market in the United States, according to the June edition of the RealtyHop Housing Affordability Index. The median list price for a home in the area increased to nearly $600,000, which would eat up 80 percent of the typical local family's monthly income if they took out a mortgage and paid property taxes.

Meanwhile, in Hialeah, there's an 883-square foot, 70-year-old house up for sale for $1.15 million.

According to data from Miami Homes for All, the affordable housing deficit in Miami-Dade is getting worse, especially for tenants. The county has a shortage of 135,000 affordable units for renter households earning half of the area's median income or less — a 14,000-unit increase compared to the group's 2020 figures.
If you post a one off example and present that as evidence... you're not being forthright at all. There's isn't an economic gun to anyone's head. Success comes with a price tag and he law of supply and demand STILL rules supreme. Economic realities, aren't always pleasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2023, 04:27 PM

11,877 posts, read 5,851,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I was checking out Alabama due to the low taxes. Almost bought a house. Then a friend who went to burn convinced us the money saved was not worth living in Alabama. So did a neighbor whose kid taught in Birmingham.

IDK which is worse Cruz or Tuberville.
To each their own - we are actually enjoying it here. It's a bit different as not everything is right around the corner but had we moved out to the outer areas around Buffalo - we'd be in the same position.

I was looking for a more conservative state even tho I'm a Dem - at least until we get our new licenses. I mentioned to my husband how fewer businesses are advertising for workers - must be because Alabama doesn't have all the social programs NY has that my taxes pd for so people could sit on their butts.

Old 07-21-2023, 04:34 PM

50,980 posts, read 36,672,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Trusted and independent Tax Foundation has put out a easy to view chart of best states to live in and worst based on taxes and financial health for middle income Americans.

https://taxfoundation.org/best-worst...ax-codes-2023/

Technical New York is the worst in taxes with California directly behind as the next highest tax state. Remember this is about average income, middle income Americans and not super donors of political class or elites. This article and map also show the best states which include South Dakota, Wyoming, Nevada, Florida and Alaska. Amazing that more residents haven’t moved based on high and rising taxes.
I don't see how you can go by state though because taxes are very different depending where in the state you are. I pay about $6500 a year where I am, but the same value house just three miles down in the next township and they’d be half that. In north Jersey, it might be double that.

Old 07-21-2023, 04:39 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,850,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't see how you can go by state though because taxes are very different depending where in the state you are. I pay about $6500 a year where I am, but the same value house just three miles down in the next township and they’d be half that. In north Jersey, it might be double that.
That's why mileage rate is important to know when comparing. In addition, "how long" someone is in their home. Many states have limits on how much your taxes can go up any given year, not to mention home owner benefits for older folks so they won't be taxed out of their homes.

Buy a house is different from living in a home.

Old 07-21-2023, 04:40 PM

25,909 posts, read 12,935,480 times
More people would flee Cali and NY if they could. They have jobs there, & family there, & kids in school there.

I once read a survey of New Jersey residents, & 80% said they'd move, if they could.

Work-from-home has caused a lot of demographic shift from high tax states to lower tax states, but that has subsided.

People move to FLA for retirement, then move back North to be closer to family when they reach ~80, which explains a lot of FLA residents who leave the state. There are also half-backs who wind up in the Carolina's due to FLA heat. There's also college students who obtain FLA residency, then move out after they graduate if offered a job elsewhere.

Old 07-21-2023, 05:39 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,411,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Trusted and independent Tax Foundation has put out a easy to view chart of best states to live in and worst based on taxes and financial health for middle income Americans.

https://taxfoundation.org/best-worst...ax-codes-2023/

Technical New York is the worst in taxes with California directly behind as the next highest tax state. Remember this is about average income, middle income Americans and not super donors of political class or elites. This article and map also show the best states which include South Dakota, Wyoming, Nevada, Florida and Alaska. Amazing that more residents haven’t moved based on high and rising taxes.

Can you name 5 relevant cities with a global level economy in any of the 5 states you listed?

Old 07-21-2023, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
More people would flee Cali and NY if they could. They have jobs there, & family there, & kids in school there.

I once read a survey of New Jersey residents, & 80% said they'd move, if they could.

Work-from-home has caused a lot of demographic shift from high tax states to lower tax states, but that has subsided.

People move to FLA for retirement, then move back North to be closer to family when they reach ~80, which explains a lot of FLA residents who leave the state. There are also half-backs who wind up in the Carolina's due to FLA heat. There's also college students who obtain FLA residency, then move out after they graduate if offered a job elsewhere.
Reread this and listen to how hilarious it sounds.

They would leave if they could but they have “jobs” there.

Yea let’s enjoy a new state with no jobs or low paying jobs lmao

Old 07-21-2023, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
To each their own - we are actually enjoying it here. It's a bit different as not everything is right around the corner but had we moved out to the outer areas around Buffalo - we'd be in the same position.

I was looking for a more conservative state even tho I'm a Dem - at least until we get our new licenses. I mentioned to my husband how fewer businesses are advertising for workers - must be because Alabama doesn't have all the social programs NY has that my taxes pd for so people could sit on their butts.
Yet Alabama is one of the most impoverished states in the US and a state that takes from the federal government

Old 07-21-2023, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I lived in Houston for about 6 six years. Bought a house for $96K. You can reduce property taxes by buying a cheaper house. I wasn't the only one. My neighbors included a doctor, a Harris County sheriff deputy, and a retired NYC firefighter.

Texas is better suited for high-income earners. What they save in income taxes can easily pay for property taxes.
Better suited for high income earners yet all the high income earners live in the all the expensive cities .

I actually don’t think you know what a high income earner is.

Old 07-21-2023, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Except for NYC - housing in NY is relatively low when compared to other states thus off setting the taxes. I just moved from NY to Alabama because of the taxes snow and liberal policies of NY. While grocery prices are comparable - home taxes are 1/5 of what we paid in NY.
Alabama often checks off most “worst” list so the irony of you blaming liberal policies is hilarious. What has conservative policies done for Alabama? Lol.

I can show a list of things Alabama rank in. Ready?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies