Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2023, 11:17 AM

25,943 posts, read 22,098,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Would these school vouchers apply to special ed kids. Most private schools don't have the classes or teachers to teach them. And why would rich families need vouchers. Why would the middle class pay for the rich.
I am sure the vouchers would apply to children in special education. What I have seen done, is needed services like therapies (speech, occupational or physical) are done through the public school program and the rest done in the private schools. I am sure you aware that there is "inclusion" in schools now. When we were in AZ, due to how the public schools performed, I homeschooled my child with special needs and the cost was minimal, and he learned SO MUCH MORE at home!

Quote:
Sorry, I just don't agree. The rich can afford to send their kids to any school they want without vouchers. We can't. So give vouchers to the ones who really need it.
Well, I agree, and we are definitely not rich. I mean, if they can provide education for illegal aliens and in their language of choice, and consider that fair. I say ALL CHILDREN should be entitled to the vouchers, just as they were entitled to a public school education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
No reason to raise rates. All they have to do is enforce strict rules on behavior, attendance, and performance. The riff raff will weed itself out.
I think someone was implying that poorer children, in particular black children would be an issue. Depending on location, private schools aren't always that expensive, and the more students they have, the less the cost per student to the school across the board. I suppose those that do not want their children to experience diversity in the school population can just homeschool them, but that would be unfortunate for the children to go out in the world eventually, and hopefully learn that a diverse population is a good thing, and not continue on with beliefs to the contrary as taught in the home.

Private schools here in KS are, at least in the smaller towns, associated with a church of some sort, but they do not discriminate when it comes to their schools. Private schools have become VERY popular due to the continuing failure of the public schools.

Charter schools would be another good choice, as parents have a say in what is being taught.

I know that with some that homeschool, they do a sort of group schooling of several kids.

So, there are many options, and my bet is the kids will do much, much better. Even in poorer communities, if the state provides some training resources, they could manage to do quite well, and inner cities kids would not end up being shot on their way to and from school, or mauled by some running dogs (yeah, in AZ, and it was so sad).

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 07-26-2023 at 11:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2023, 11:18 AM

88,981 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Did you not see where I wrote about that Texas public school funding is capped by law and any excess tax revenue goes back to the state to be sent to other districts? And that districts can't raise taxes to provide more funding than allowed by law?
That's NOT true of local school taxes. For example, when property values rise and/or there is more development within the school district's local taxing jurisdiction, the schools get an increase in local school tax revenue.

Old 07-26-2023, 11:24 AM

88,981 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
I wish they had an unlimited supply of taxpayer money. It’d make it easier for me to do my job. And probably get a fat raise too.
Same response to you... When property values rise and/or there is more development within the school district's local taxing jurisdiction, the schools get an increase in local school tax revenue.

Old 07-26-2023, 11:40 AM

50,346 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Would these school vouchers apply to special ed kids. Most private schools don't have the classes or teachers to teach them. And why would rich families need vouchers. Why would the middle class pay for the rich.
Because rich parents pay school taxes too.

Old 07-26-2023, 11:44 AM

4,379 posts, read 1,695,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Same response to you... When property values rise and/or there is more development within the school district's local taxing jurisdiction, the schools get an increase in local school tax revenue.
But the claim was that they have “unlimited” supply of tax money. What you just described doesn’t sound like “unlimited,” it sounds like a raise.

Old 07-26-2023, 11:47 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Because rich parents pay school taxes too.
True, and they pay far more than their fair share compared to the middle class and lower class.

Old 07-26-2023, 12:18 PM

4,382 posts, read 4,232,458 times
Quote:
That's NOT true of local school taxes. For example, when property values rise and/or there is more development within the school district's local taxing jurisdiction, the schools get an increase in local school tax revenue.

What happens when property values drop and/or when businesses flee and the development ceases within the school district's local taxing jurisdiction?

Old 07-26-2023, 01:37 PM

1,397 posts, read 676,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
What happens when property values drop and/or when businesses flee and the development ceases within the school district's local taxing jurisdiction?
The people elect Republicans who will reverse the damage done by Democrats, they stay and reap what they have sown, or they move.

Old 07-26-2023, 01:52 PM

15,407 posts, read 7,472,574 times
Quote:
That isn't true at all. When property values went up, Houston ISD had to start sending money to the State of Texas, and total funding to HISD schools went down. Total allowed funding from state and local sources is controlled by state law, and can't exceed a certain amount.

Old 07-26-2023, 02:04 PM

4,511 posts, read 4,041,625 times
Quote:
And why would rich families need vouchers. Why would the middle class pay for the rich.
Obviously the rich are paying for their own vouchers. Just now they aren't paying for their voucher AND everyone elses. Also there are already a ton of f'ing progressive taxes that make MOST "rich" people not that better off than anyone else.

Progressive taxes and benefits of ANY kind are ONE HUNDRED PERCENT anti capitalist and pure communist economically in nature. It's based on the idea that "everyone should be taking home the same amount and the harder workers should be sharing their earnings".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies