Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2023, 07:24 AM

2,394 posts, read 2,356,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
So you object to seeing a sign for a politician/political candidate? You must not like democracy very much, then.
If I'm going into the "Great Outdoors" to get away from it all(yes I'm black and I have gone on similar excursions), the LAST thing I want to deal with is any political/sociological garbage shoved down my throat. I don't want pride flags, Trump flags, Biden flags, RDS flags, BLM flags, etc in that type of environment. It's supposed to be me and nature. No other distractions.

Speaking of which, alot of you people in this thread are ignorant. It's not about cheap MAGA flags scaring off black folks. It's what they represent. Manigault and Green are the only ones who seem to get it, especially Mani bringing up examples. The history of Black America in the wild hasn't been pleasant, although that is slowly changing.

Old 07-29-2023, 07:29 AM

6,006 posts, read 2,817,522 times
Apparently ̶b̶l̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶ POCs aren't safe from MAGA Hat Wearin' Thugs in the big cities either. Hopefully NBC Newz can do a story on that.

Anyone remember poor Jussie? He definitely needs a safe space.

Using NBC Logic, if the Great Outdoors is racist, then the Urban Big Cities are Ultra Racist to the Extreme Level 10!

Old 07-29-2023, 08:00 AM

8,455 posts, read 12,225,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Coven View Post
Why? Are there many black explorers?
Your comment shows why there is a current, consistent need for continuing Black History Month.

Quote:
Famed African American explorer Matthew Henson was hired by explorer Robert Edwin as his valet for expeditions. For more than two decades, they explored the Arctic, and on April 6, 1909, Peary, Henson and the rest of their team made history, becoming the first people to reach the North Pole
https://www.biography.com/history-cu...matthew-henson
Quote:
Barbara Hillary, the first black woman to reach the North and South poles, died on Saturday. She was 88... At age 75, the trailblazer became the first African American woman to make it to the North Pole. She reached the South Pole four years later, when she was 79.

Born in New York City and raised in Harlem, Hillary was a retired nurse and editor-in-chief of a nonprofit, multiracial magazine in Queens.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/27/us/ba...rnd/index.html

Old 07-29-2023, 08:09 AM

1,418 posts, read 685,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Your comment shows why there is a current, consistent need for continuing Black History Month.

https://www.biography.com/history-cu...matthew-henson
https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/27/us/ba...rnd/index.html
Hensen was hired by a white man to go along.

Hillary didn't trailblaze anything, she followed an already broken trail - just like a lot of white people.

And maybe if Black History wasn't pigeonholed into one month, those individuals would be more well known.

Old 07-29-2023, 08:12 AM

8,455 posts, read 12,225,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Coven View Post
Hensen was hired by a white man to go along.

Hillary didn't trailblaze anything, she followed an already broken trail - just like a lot of white people.
Don't quibble. You asked (in ignorance) about black explorers. Now you see reports of some.

Old 07-29-2023, 08:16 AM

24,878 posts, read 9,631,033 times
Quote:
Don't quibble. You asked (in ignorance) about black explorers. Now you see reports of some.
He asked if there were MANY black explorers.

You posted two...

There is no "need for continuing black history month" if that's your best argument.

If blacks actually observed and respected black history month, we probably wouldn't be shooting each other so much during black history month.

Chicago had 79 murders during black history month, and that's just 1 city.

Old 07-29-2023, 08:21 AM

18,710 posts, read 8,451,550 times
they seem determined to paint all black people as some neurotic delicate helpless little snowflakes

Old 07-29-2023, 08:23 AM

39,934 posts, read 26,644,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
No, it's not "The Onion".

This is NBC, not some way-out-there source.
You have to realize, The Onion has had more credibility than NBC (let alone BSNBC, the NYT, WaPoo or a host of others) for at least a couple decades now.

Old 07-29-2023, 08:32 AM

39,934 posts, read 26,644,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
"Safe space for blacks outdoors..." Did someone let the NBC Reporter know the #1 killer of young black males are.... young black males?

Black privilege: when bein born in the world's richest country doesn't stop you from being a perpetual victim.

MLK is rolling over in his grave right now.
And that the most dangerous places for young black males is large, urban areas surrounded by lots of..."young black males".

Seems to me that if black people choose not to camp, hike or enjoy the backcountry, that's on them. Now-it's not just blacks, I suspect the vast majority of urban whites don't go play in the woods either. Which is sad-hate to see people live such sheltered lives and afraid of new experiences.

Old 07-29-2023, 08:33 AM

73,239 posts, read 62,936,669 times
Quote:
As well as some modern day Black explorers. Mario Rigby being one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies