Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2023, 10:49 AM

10,948 posts, read 4,683,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Don't quibble. You asked (in ignorance) about black explorers. Now you see reports of some.

anecdotes do not alter thousands of years of reality. Sorry. But when most of the world was being 'discovered', no black culture had yet mastered the 'boat'. that does not enhance nor detract from anything 'today' (say antebellum on?) but whatever point you are trying make with respect to CAMPING and HARASSMENT OF CAMPERS, is not being backed up

saw something last week that the nordic races - the whitest of the white, were here a couple thousand years even earlier than originally thought.

so where does THAT leave us?

Old 07-29-2023, 11:00 AM

2,394 posts, read 2,356,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I don't know what, if anything, to make of that -- but I am now wondering if most "city" blacks are suspicious or just puzzled by the friendliness of white rural people towards them. Again, I know I can't judge by just TWO incidents, but if you or anyone else would like to comment, please feel free to do so (of course).
You nailed it. Alot of us who were brought up and resided in the city aren't used to open politeness like that. If you did the same to me I'd wave back and offer a quick "How's it goin'" but I'd keep it moving unless you wanted to talk to me.

Old 07-29-2023, 11:03 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,542,531 times
It's amazing the conversation is still going. Some NBC journalist invents a problem out of thin air, racialize it, and we're at each other's throats.

All national parks are open to Black and many Black people partake in those activities. If Black people are less likely to partake than other races for a combination of cultural and socioeconomic factors is of no interest to society. Do we spend all this energy why more White people are less interested in becoming basketball players in the NBA?

Old 07-29-2023, 11:12 AM

1,418 posts, read 685,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Do we spend all this energy why more White people are less interested in becoming basketball players in the NBA?
Or the death of the White NFL cornerback?

Old 07-29-2023, 11:15 AM

1,418 posts, read 685,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
saw something last week that the nordic races - the whitest of the white, were here a couple thousand years even earlier than originally thought.

so where does THAT leave us?
It means that we may have to rethink the meaning of Native American.

If you are interested in this stuff, look up Clovis points and the Salutrean Hypothesis.

Old 07-29-2023, 11:40 AM

4,274 posts, read 3,201,834 times
My son-in-law is black and he doesn't camp for one reason and one reason only.....spiders!! He is terrified of spiders!!! I camp a lot all over the US...primarily in our National Parks. In the places I go I do see black people...just not very many. I suspect the reason has absolutely nothing to do with racism......most of them probably aren't big fans of camping! (my wife would agree)

Old 07-29-2023, 01:52 PM

8,455 posts, read 12,225,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
anecdotes do not alter thousands of years of reality. Sorry. But when most of the world was being 'discovered', no black culture had yet mastered the 'boat'.
You see why we need Black History Month?

Quote:
Long before Christopher Columbus set out for his first trip to the Americas in 1492, a number of Africans had already made this voyage.

Although the Malians, led by King Abubakari II, made the trip in 1300, archaeologists have found a number of artefacts that indicate that Africans had set foot and lived in South America as far back as 13,000 BC to the 600 AD,

The evidence indicates that people from Axum, Meroe and Land of Punt began settling in South America between this time, according to the skulls found in excavation projects in Ecuador, Valdivia, Chile, and among the Ponuencho of Peru.
https://face2faceafrica.com/article/...ted-his-voyage

Old 07-29-2023, 02:35 PM

73,239 posts, read 62,936,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Just to put it out there --

I live in a very tourist-oriented community in rural Wisconsin, and it is mostly white, but it is also very liberal. Summer is tourist season and I live on a road with 15 homes, six owned by year-rounders, six by snowbirders (six months here, six months in, mostly, Florida), and three are short-term rentals. Wisconsinite are very friendly to EVERYONE, and we wave to strangers, and even most tourists will wave back.

Anyway, this month there were two black families staying for a short time in the two of the rentals, and when I saw them in front of the homes as my husband and I were driving by, I waved (as I do with everyone I pass on our road), but I just got a frowning stare in return.

I don't know what, if anything, to make of that -- but I am now wondering if most "city" blacks are suspicious or just puzzled by the friendliness of white rural people towards them. Again, I know I can't judge by just TWO incidents, but if you or anyone else would like to comment, please feel free to do so (of course).
The only part of Wisconsin I've visited in Milwaukee. I know the geography of Wisconsin and many other things about it (one reason I considered moving there, specifically around Madison). I think your community might operate differently than other places.

As a side note, I lived in the Atlanta metropolitan area for a long time. I met alot of people from Wisconsin. I can honestly say that most Wisconsinites I've met have been very personable. I did notice something quite interesting. The majority of Black Wisconsinites came from Milwaukee (and not suburban Milwaukee either). Most White Wisconsinites came from the rest of the state, especially Appleton and Green Bay. In real life, I tend to get along with people from Wisconsin. However, coming to city-data, I notice whenever I run into anti-Black posters, the Milwaukee area seems to be one of the main places they're from.

Those persons who gave you a cold stare. I don't know what their issue was. I don't know if they had a bad time. Maybe they could be from the city and are generally closed off to strangers in general. Wisconsin has a strange dichotomy. There is Milwaukee. And then the rest of Wisconsin, and they're two contrasting worlds.

I do think there is a hesitance for many Black Americans to get into the great outdoors. Part of it is historical. That has lingered into the modern day. There is also a perception that rural America isn't too kind to Black Americans. And I'm not talking about where you live specifically. Where you live likely stands out from other places. I was just talking about a perception, and some of it being based on history, as well as things that have happened.

Old 07-29-2023, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Shame it's come to this but if Blacks feel they need to be segregated away from the rest of us, it's fine with me. That way we'll all feel safer.
The Black people on the thread are not calling for segregation at all. Maybe you need to listen to us instead of that article. And your last sentence confirms why some Black people are hesitant about going into the great outdoors. Wondering if one's presence will be accepted or treated like a threat. Your last sentence confirms that, and demonstrates a bigoted mentality.

Old 07-29-2023, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
You nailed it. Alot of us who were brought up and resided in the city aren't used to open politeness like that. If you did the same to me I'd wave back and offer a quick "How's it goin'" but I'd keep it moving unless you wanted to talk to me.
Maybe it's because I was raised in suburban and semi-rural areas. However, I invite that kind of open politeness. Getting that kind of politeness would say that my presence is accepted and viewed in a harmless way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies