Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 09:46 AM

1,418 posts, read 685,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The point being made was that life didn't change the instant the Supreme Court declared a ruling.
Oh, it changed with "all deliberate speed".

Old 07-31-2023, 09:54 AM

28,715 posts, read 18,929,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I have friends in a diverse team doing Ragbrai this year in Iowa. That's bicycling across a rural state with a lot of work and prior planning in order to have a successful excursion. One cannot just 'show up'.
I did a Ragbrai back in the early 90s when Sheila Widnall was Air Force secretary. She was riding in the same Ragbrai, and the Air Force got a number of tickets. My next door neighbor had one, but he couldn't go, so he gave it to me. I'd been an avid road cyclist for about a decade by then...and there were damned few of us black road cyclists (even though there had been a black world road cycling champion in the early 1900s).

Old 07-31-2023, 09:54 AM

53,112 posts, read 34,913,346 times
Quote:
A question was asked and answered. If you want to submit that the experience was 'long ago and times are different', that is on you to substantiate the change.
why isn't it on you to substantiate a lack of change, since that is your premise?

Old 07-31-2023, 10:12 AM

The federal parks have been keeping racial statistics of visitors for decades. It's been long known that statistically far fewer people of any non-white race visit the parks than statistically proportionate.

So, no, Trump is not the cause. When I was a teen, we weren't interested in camping, nor were our parents. My wife and daughter are not interested in camping in the slightest...I can't think of anyone currently in my family who is. I can't think of any of our black friends who would be up for anything more than an afternoon excursion into the wilds.

OTOH, I did have an uncle who had been a real cattle-owning Oklahoma cowboy who loved his fishing and hunting.

I've done a lot of camping as a leader of a youth group in which camping was a feature of the group, and I've done some feral pig hunting, but it's not a big thing in my life.

My point is: It's very much true that black people in general are not as interested in camping vacations...but that's not because of Trump. It's not even because of lynching or being afraid of white people. If I had to guess, I'd say it was because we aren't enough generations away from houses without plumbing to think of that as a vacation. I'd bet that's why you don't see a lot of people from India out in tents.

Old 07-31-2023, 10:20 AM

8,455 posts, read 12,225,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
why isn't it on you to substantiate a lack of change, since that is your premise?

Don't confuse what you surmise with anything you think I imply. I'm upfront.

The question was 'if anyone had ever seen'. I witnessed the occurrence. Next question.

Old 07-31-2023, 11:15 AM

36,822 posts, read 31,102,861 times
Quote:
The federal parks have been keeping racial statistics of visitors for decades. It's been long known that statistically far fewer people of any non-white race visit the parks than statistically proportionate.

So, no, Trump is not the cause. When I was a teen, we weren't interested in camping, nor were our parents. My wife and daughter are not interested in camping in the slightest...I can't think of anyone currently in my family who is. I can't think of any of our black friends who would be up for anything more than an afternoon excursion into the wilds.

OTOH, I did have an uncle who had been a real cattle-owning Oklahoma cowboy who loved his fishing and hunting.

I've done a lot of camping as a leader of a youth group in which camping was a feature of the group, and I've done some feral pig hunting, but it's not a big thing in my life.

My point is: It's very much true that black people in general are not as interested in camping vacations...but that's not because of Trump. It's not even because of lynching or being afraid of white people. If I had to guess, I'd say it was because we aren't enough generations away from houses without plumbing to think of that as a vacation. I'd bet that's why you don't see a lot of people from India out in tents.
Who knows.
Neither of my parents had indoor plumbing growing up. My grands certainly did not. My father and mother camped every single year since they married until they retired. They grew up in the foothills of the Appalachia mountains basically in the woods. My paternal parents lived in a tent in a logging camp when they first married.
I always took my kids and grandkids camping, as did my brother and one sister. The other sister, not so much. Maybe it is that people tend to like to do what they did growing up.

It is really hard for me to believe black people would be afraid of white people or lynching in camping areas.

Old 07-31-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Who knows.
Neither of my parents had indoor plumbing growing up. My grands certainly did not. My father and mother camped every single year since they married until they retired. They grew up in the foothills of the Appalachia mountains basically in the woods. My paternal parents lived in a tent in a logging camp when they first married.
I always took my kids and grandkids camping, as did my brother and one sister. The other sister, not so much. Maybe it is that people tend to like to do what they did growing up.
If that's what they did as children, and they are nostalgic about their childhoods, maybe so.

Quote:
It is really hard for me to believe black people would be afraid of white people or lynching in camping areas.
Nah, that's stuff they just made up with little real investigation. It's true we have relatively less interest...it's not true that's because we're all afraid of Trumpers.

Old 07-31-2023, 11:27 AM

53,112 posts, read 34,913,346 times
Quote:
Don't confuse what you surmise with anything you think I imply. I'm upfront.

The question was 'if anyone had ever seen'. I witnessed the occurrence. Next question.
you witnessed what occurrence?

no surprise that you have no good answer, or even a poor one.
Quote:

Old 07-31-2023, 12:26 PM

8,455 posts, read 12,225,607 times
Quote:
you witnessed what occurrence?
Must we go over it? Look back a few pages. You don't know what occurrence is referred to yet you expound that the onus is on me to substantiate there have been no changes in it? That's truly odd.

Quote:
no surprise that you have no good answer, or even a poor one.
So, I guess it is a waste if time ever proving something to you since you have me prejudged.

Old 07-31-2023, 12:47 PM

8,520 posts, read 3,372,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
<snip>It is really hard for me to believe black people would be afraid of white people or lynching in camping areas.
Quote:
<snip>Nah, that's stuff they just made up with little real investigation. It's true we have relatively less interest...it's not true that's because we're all afraid of Trumpers.
Earlier I mentioned camping right by road crossings on the AT can be a problem due to partying locals. For sure, black backpackers might have an additional 'layer of concern' how they might be treated by some out of control drunk who turns racist. Likewise, women alone are more concerned. Both scenarios are undeniable.

That's not the problem I have with the NBC report that, as its evidence (not including the Trump flags), cited the NPR article: Black Women's Groups Find Health And Healing On Hikes, But Sometimes Racism, Too.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...mes-racism-too

I summarized the story in post in #224. Sounds like the confrontation between a group of white horse-riders and a large number of black hikers occurred in the fall of 2020 during pandemic restrictions when the parks were jammed.

MY OBJECTION IS THIS:
It is that the black hiker leader framed the incident as another racist example of having the police called, she says unnecessarily. Who called the deputies is not clear. The park manager *was* on the scene. Presumably he was unable to resolve the issue? (The NPR article is written from the POV of the hikers, and so its hard to say.)

The hiker leader admits she was told their hike was in violation of park rules: "Newton says she regrets putting members in a distressing — and potentially life-threatening — situation by unknowingly breaking a park rule."
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...mes-racism-too

WHAT POTENTIALLY LIFE THREATENING SITUATION? Presumably it was that the two deputies had holstered pistols. There is no suggestion of any improper behavior on their part. Deputies cannot leave weapons they normally wear in their cars to avoid triggering someone who is black, or prevent them from being in a 'safe space.'

The historical past (lynchings etc.) does leave residual fear. Police have in modern times overstepped. But that cannot be used to prevent police as a whole from carrying out their normal functions.

Nor can an ignorance of the rules be used to allow for chaos on the trails - by anyone, of any color. Horses and hikers *flying drones* don't always mix on a narrow mountain trail which is WHY "events" that include use of hiking trails had to be scheduled at the facility. The park management knew horse riders would be using those trails that day - THEY had made reservations.
https://www.beaverranch.org/#welcome-2

To turn this type of encounter into 'racism' and to use police presence in this type of situation as a trigger - either to entice readership, solicit outrage, scare the participants themselves by fear-mongering is not IMHO 'helpful.'

Last edited by EveryLady; 07-31-2023 at 12:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies