Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 01:23 PM

10,783 posts, read 5,713,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
It may have come into being then, but it was another decade or more before it was widespread. Older workers often had pensions and younger workers grew up with 401Ks being the norm, but this particular age group that is nearing retirement fell into the gap in between. Pensions stopped being offered and when the 401k was new, people didn't know if they should participate because they didn't know if they could trust the program, couldn't be sure that it wouldn't change or be discontinued. HR folks often didn't have answers and didn't explain it well. I don't think it's entirely fair to blame them when the long time rules changed on them.
Anyone who chooses not to save for their future, bears the blame. A tax advantaged retirement plan is certainly not a requirement for one to invest for their future. There was no rule that changed that prevented people from saving for their future.

Old 07-31-2023, 01:30 PM

10,783 posts, read 5,713,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
The standard deduction for 2023 is only $13,850. For easy math purposes, let's assume property taxes are $3,850, which means we only need to come up with $10K more to exceed the standard deduction. At 2.75%, that would require a mortgage of about $370K. Not to mention medical costs (high for retired people), charitable donations, etc. So yes, it's probably going to be a wash for most people, but it's still a factor worth considering -especially for folks with larger mortgages.
Regardless, pulling money out of investments to pay off a low interest rate mortgage doesn't make financial sense in most cases.
In my case, SS alone covers my entire house payment (not just P&I) and leaves an equal amount for other things. I can easily live without touching my investments at all, so there is nothing to be gained from paying off my mortgage.
That’s for 40% of the filing statuses. For the other 60%, it’s significantly greater. And since you mentioned retired, it’s greater still.

My point still stands. It’s a lot more difficult to deduct mortgage interest now then it was before the significant increase in the standard deduction.

Old 07-31-2023, 01:32 PM

9,542 posts, read 4,369,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
Suppose you don't have a mortgage at 2.75 percent. Suppose it's higher. Suppose you don't make 5% on your money because the market crashes, and I don't know of any fixed non risk accounts that guarantees a 5% return. If you known of one and can hook me up I wouldn't appreciate that information.
We can suppose and give hypotheticals until the cows come home. But, there one thing that's certain, if my bills are paid and I'm not in debt, I have more money in my pocket.
I never said paying off a mortgage never makes sense. Sometimes it does, but many older folks were able to take advantage of historically low mortgage rates and paying off such a mortgage would be silly except in exceptional circumstances.

Your last sentence - "We can suppose and give hypotheticals until the cows come home. But, there one thing that's certain, if my bills are paid and I'm not in debt, I have more money in my pocket." is unequivocally false in that its simply not true in every case. For example, you can either have a paid off house worth $400K or $400K in investments, but a mortgage on your home. In either case, you have the same amount of net worth. But you would have much more "cash in your pocket" with a mortgage. The difference is that when you have a mortgage and $400K, you're getting ROI on the house appreciation and the investment. With no mortgage, you're only getting ROI on house appreciation. That's not hypothetical, it's fact. Paying off a mortgage (or any loan) feels good, but might not always be the best financial decision.

Old 07-31-2023, 01:36 PM

4,224 posts, read 2,535,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Anyone who chooses not to save for their future, bears the blame. A tax advantaged retirement plan is certainly not a requirement for one to invest for their future. There was no rule that changed that prevented people from saving for their future.
That's in part true, but it's not quite so easy. Medicare only pays for part of health care, supplements are expensive and even with them, many don't cover dental, hearing, vision, orthotics and so forth. According to the Fidelity Retiree Health Care Cost Estimate, in 2023 a single person age 65 may need about $157,500 saved just to cover health care expenses in retirement. For an average retired couple age 65 in 2023 its $315,000 saved.

Nursing home care in a decent place can run $9,000 a month. Need dementia care and its more.

Couple that with financial illiteracy and there is a perfect storm. Most folks can even tell the difference between yield and return; a stock, a bond and a CD let alone the effects of compounding interest.

Old 07-31-2023, 01:41 PM

9,542 posts, read 4,369,045 times
Quote:
That’s for 40% of the filing statuses. For the other 60%, it’s significantly greater. And since you mentioned retired, it’s greater still.

My point still stands. It’s a lot more difficult to deduct mortgage interest now then it was before the significant increase in the standard deduction.
You're correct, obviously. I was simply pointing out that the mortgage interest deduction should be a factor in any decision regarding paying off one's mortgage. Any financial advisor will tell you this. Nothing I've posted applies to all circumstances - maybe not even most circumstances. I was responding to the notion that not paying off one's mortgage in retirement is always a bad idea. It's the same type of thinking that makes some folks think that being debt free is an aspirational goal. Having a positive net worth is an aspirational goal. Being debt free when you have the opportunity to leverage other people's money (i.e, low interest loans) is not something one should aspire to. Certain types of debt are actually good.

Old 07-31-2023, 01:45 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,995,638 times
Quote:
A tax advantaged retirement plan is certainly not a requirement for one to invest for their future.
No, but free, matching money certainly helps. I don't think it's fair to expect the same results as from those who had different options.

Old 07-31-2023, 02:08 PM

2,027 posts, read 877,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I never said paying off a mortgage never makes sense. Sometimes it does, but many older folks were able to take advantage of historically low mortgage rates and paying off such a mortgage would be silly except in exceptional circumstances.

Your last sentence - "We can suppose and give hypotheticals until the cows come home. But, there one thing that's certain, if my bills are paid and I'm not in debt, I have more money in my pocket." is unequivocally false in that its simply not true in every case. For example, you can either have a paid off house worth $400K or $400K in investments, but a mortgage on your home. In either case, you have the same amount of net worth. But you would have much more "cash in your pocket" with a mortgage. The difference is that when you have a mortgage and $400K, you're getting ROI on the house appreciation and the investment. With no mortgage, you're only getting ROI on house appreciation. That's not hypothetical, it's fact. Paying off a mortgage (or any loan) feels good, but might not always be the best financial decision.
No, sorry. That's BS, not fact.

Old 07-31-2023, 03:00 PM

27,194 posts, read 15,367,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I asked the same question... why is it "bad news"?

Somehow we have this utopian idea of retirement at 65 (or whatever age) and we don't work anymore. I get that people won't be doing construction work at that age, but hopefully after living life for many years - people will be pointed towards work that is meaningful that they can do.

I don't plan on retiring unless my health mandates that I can't work.
At 67 I am a Commercial Electrician with lot of life and ability left.
I often outwork the younger guys and two years found out that I had been doing it with a broken back I was not aware of.
Determination is the root of how you spend you older years.
There are others besides myself as well.

Old 07-31-2023, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBouy View Post
I personally have little compassion for this topic. Life is about choices, and choices have consequences. If you are 50-60 years into the workforce, and you have saved nothing or were under employed all those years, there’s only have one person to blame.
....or decided to not wilt away.

Old 07-31-2023, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
401K came into being in 1978 and grew in popularity.
I have both a 401K and a pension. I signed up for my 401K when I was with the company for 1 year (probationary period) and that was mid 80's.

https://getbuilding.com/the-entire-h...40.1%20million.
When 401s were available to different people varies very widely.
In my trade it was unheard of for many years until some Contractors began to get on board with it.
I got in as soon as it was there for me to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies