Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2023, 05:52 PM

52,735 posts, read 34,654,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Then go find a local news source in Idaho, why do you think she left after 21 years?
here's one.

"A left-wing activist was named “teacher of the year” by the Idaho Department of Education. The teacher, Karen Lauritzen, follows drag queens on social media, promotes LGBT events, promotes transgenderism, Black Lives Matter, and is active in local politics, promoting liberal ideology.

Apart from following numerous drag queens and promoting the LGBT community, Lauren is heavily involved in local North Idaho politics, and supports the far-left ‘Reclaim Idaho’ organization."
https://www.idahotribune.org/news/le...transgenderism

Old 08-14-2023, 05:55 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,264,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
If she was "teaching" those things (that are NOT academic subjects), then she has no business teaching at all. As a math teacher myself, the day you catch me teaching anything besides the academic topic of mathematics in the classroom is the day that I would WANT you to fire me. Teachers who cannot stay on topic should find other employment. I've been teaching math for nearly 30 years now and never in those thirty years has a student known the first thing about my private life and never has a student learned from me anything besides mathematics.

You are not safe in the mathematics classroom.

"The latest example of the latter is a screenshot of the Equitable Math curriculum that is supported with a $1 million grant from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to The Education Trust Inc.

The screenshot making the rounds on Twitter is an image of the EquitableMath.org website that begins with: "White supremacy culture shows up in math classrooms when... The focus is on getting the 'right' answer."

That's followed by a paragraph that reads: "The concept of mathematics being purely objective is unequivocally false, and teaching it is even much less so. Upholding the idea that there are always right and wrong answers perpetuate objectivity as well as fear of open conflict.""

https://www.newsweek.com/math-suffer...course-1571511

"According to Battey, there are ways in which math teachers, math educators, and math researchers “are perpetuating racism in schools”—which is shaping the expectations, interactions, and kinds of mathematics that students experience. And the lack of attention to whiteness as the fundamental cause leaves it invisible and neutral. “Naming white institutional spaces, as well as identifying the mechanisms that oppress and privilege students, can give those who work in the field of mathematics education specific ideas of how to better combat racist structures,” writes Battey and his co-author Luis Leyva, of Vanderbilt University’s Peabody College of Education."

https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...cation/524199/

Old 08-14-2023, 06:08 PM

13,607 posts, read 21,416,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
crazy political rules
Well you know what, everyday more school boards and teachers are exposed as being or supporting far left activism some openly bragging about indoctrinating Marxism in the class room and they have a support network from the teachers union all the way up to the Democratic party.

Now that more people and parents are aware of the fact they will not stand for it, of course the Democratic party calls those against them as "extremists" for daring to stand up against the far left extremism that is plaguing public schools.

Just two examples of many of far left activists posing as teachers, I just gave you proof how yo gonna refute that?

https://readlion.com/teacher-who-dis...arxist-speech/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43DGI3yvGSo

Old 08-14-2023, 06:22 PM

45,529 posts, read 60,771,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
From what I gather from the article was she supported LGBTQ and BLM on her personal media page, and was outed by some conservative outlet. But supposedly none of this made it into her classroom instructions.

If all of this is true, I side with the teacher. She is allowed to have any political opinion she wants, and post about on social media provided she doesn’t deliberately try to push students into that direction.
Teachers have been fired for much less as a result of their social media content.

Old 08-14-2023, 08:36 PM

7,528 posts, read 3,924,507 times
She just couldn't keep her fat mouth shut, could she? She had to post pro-LGBTQ and BLM BS on social media.

How many conservatives have the left viciously attacked for pro-conservative posts? Or pro-Christian posts? I wonder what the left would say if a teacher posted something like "Jesus loves us all" and "there are two sexes, no more" on Twitter?

The left better get used to it. After decades of neglect, parents are now watching. They're watching school boards; they're watching individual teachers. Anyone who shows any signs of indoctrinating children is going to be gone.

Old 08-14-2023, 08:53 PM

25,934 posts, read 18,937,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Good for you. Seriously.

Math teachers should teach math. For everything else, someone outside the math classroom can take care of it. Not real complicated.

The goal is to transfer knowledge and help build mastery of the subject. That alone is THE full time job. Any time spent doing something else is time wasted.
That's the way I've always seen it, even as a student. My best teachers taught the subject they were hired to teach well--and that is exactly what I try to do--and did not waste my and the rest of the classroom's time with irrelevant material and/or BS small talk.

I recall an engineering class I took (I believe it was statics) where the teacher came into the classroom and if we were lucky, he would spend five minutes on the material... the rest of class he sat and told us stories about his personal life; once in awhile it even related to the topic, but usually not. So, those of us who passed the class essentially taught ourselves the material. Thank God the book was a good one.

In another class the instructor told jokes most of the hour. Sorry, but I don't do well with small talk and BS even in "normal life," so when I hear it in the classroom, it's about as entertaining and engaging as having teeth pulled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Upholding the idea that there are always right and wrong answers perpetuate objectivity as well as fear of open conflict."
In pure math, there are nearly always right and wrong answers... that's what drives the leftists nuts and cause them to be at war with math. And there is not a thing they can do about it besides come up with nonsense. Because if they really succeeded with their crusade against math, they would have bridges collapsing on them, computers not functioning, buildings caving in, planes falling out of the air, electric grids frying, cars falling apart on the freeway, etc, etc, etc...

Ultimately, numbers and math in general do not distinguish between skin colors. As far as learning it, it's a function of time dedicated, not skin color.

Old 08-14-2023, 08:58 PM

7,817 posts, read 6,404,847 times
Exactly how hard is it to leave your politics at home?

Old 08-14-2023, 09:05 PM

19,881 posts, read 9,431,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
You are not safe in the mathematics classroom.

"The latest example of the latter is a screenshot of the Equitable Math curriculum that is supported with a $1 million grant from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to The Education Trust Inc.

The screenshot making the rounds on Twitter is an image of the EquitableMath.org website that begins with: "White supremacy culture shows up in math classrooms when... The focus is on getting the 'right' answer."

That's followed by a paragraph that reads: "The concept of mathematics being purely objective is unequivocally false, and teaching it is even much less so. Upholding the idea that there are always right and wrong answers perpetuate objectivity as well as fear of open conflict.""

https://www.newsweek.com/math-suffer...course-1571511

"According to Battey, there are ways in which math teachers, math educators, and math researchers “are perpetuating racism in schools”—which is shaping the expectations, interactions, and kinds of mathematics that students experience. And the lack of attention to whiteness as the fundamental cause leaves it invisible and neutral. “Naming white institutional spaces, as well as identifying the mechanisms that oppress and privilege students, can give those who work in the field of mathematics education specific ideas of how to better combat racist structures,” writes Battey and his co-author Luis Leyva, of Vanderbilt University’s Peabody College of Education."

https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...cation/524199/
Can anyone explain to me how math is NOT "purely objective"?

If there is any subject where getting the right answer is of paramount importance, it is MATH.

I would hate to depend on anything requiring any kind of engineering in which the engineers were taught that the right answers were a matter of opinion -- and what would happen if kids are taught that when balancing a checkbook (or keeping track of one's banking account), it is not important to have your answer agree with the bank's computer?

Old 08-14-2023, 09:20 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,096,605 times
Could a conservative have lasted that long in a leftist environment?
Sounds like it was working until something changed.
If she started teaching her politics to the kids she should have been let go, just the same as a teacher bringing in prayer to a public school.
It’s just that simple.

You think classes are crowded now ?
With budget cuts and this open border policy classes are going to burst at the seams and the only ones left teaching will be the unworthy with alphabet or blm indoctrination agendas.

Old 08-14-2023, 10:14 PM

19,881 posts, read 9,431,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Could a conservative have lasted that long in a leftist environment?
Sounds like it was working until something changed.
If she started teaching her politics to the kids she should have been let go, just the same as a teacher bringing in prayer to a public school.
It’s just that simple.

You think classes are crowded now ?
With budget cuts and this open border policy classes are going to burst at the seams and the only ones left teaching will be the unworthy with alphabet or blm indoctrination agendas.
I think any parent with at least an average IQ who cares about their kids and can afford to do so will home school their kids or, in the case of the wealthy, send them to private schools. This means that the only kids who will be left in public schools will be the children of the poor and ignorant -- and what better way to keep kids poor and ignorant than to have them taught by stupid teachers?*

"Not to say that all public school teachers are stupid, but it seems to me that more and more leftist teachers ARE stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies