Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What sacrifices are we willing to make to avert or lessen future climate change?
Seriously reduce private ownership of multiple cars per family 5 5.88%
Cap the number of miles a family or intallowed to drive in a given year 2 2.35%
Ration electricity 1 1.18%
Ration fossil fuel 4 4.71%
Eliminate or seriously reduce meat consumption 5 5.88%
Eliminate or seriously reduce Ownership of second homes 8 9.41%
Only voluntary measures 51 60.00%
Others, post away 26 30.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 08:24 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFX View Post
"Children just aren't going to know what snow is," he said.

You might think such nonsense is all in the distant past. You would be wrong.

source

Spoiler
I used the archive.org version as the source. Since like the 2000 story, the latests nonsense will no doubt be deleted, in a futile effort to pretend it never happened.
That article was written in 2000. That was when the Global Warming industry was really starting.
There is no "industry" when the facts are that the global average temperature is now far warmer than it was in 2000.
I posted the OP link and poll here. I think people who are agitating for "action" will be sorely disappointed when they are the ones who are called upon to sacrifice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2023, 09:05 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
None!

Old 11-28-2023, 09:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Don't talk to me about getting rid of my 3 gas burning cars, gas stove and furnace, or giving up meat until the politicians start driving electric cars back and forth between their homes and the congress/senate, and the president abandons Air Force 1 and takes electric transportation all around the country and world. Biden, by the way, drives a 1967 Corvette (ICE).

Old 11-28-2023, 11:42 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
I voted for voluntary measures only, as that's what comes closest to my viewpoint. However, I would also add that I'd like to see a greater emphasis on efficiency. More fuel efficiency for cars and for airliners. More operating efficiency for appliances. More insulation efficiency for homes. In other words, I'd like to see us all be better stewards of the resources that have been entrusted to us.

Sometimes I see examples of blatant waste of natural resources and it infuriates me. During COVID, many airport authorities did not reduce their requirements that the airlines use the slots they had or else lose them. So the airlines flew empty planes from one place to another, just so they could use their allotted slots. This was horribly wasteful and it could have been avoided if the powers that be had simply shown some common sense and adjusted their requirements to fit a radically changed circumstance. Stupid stuff like this happens all the time and, cumulatively, produces a negative impact on the environment that could easily be avoided.

Old 11-28-2023, 11:55 AM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
None of those listed.

What I would like to see though, is more of a "buy it for life" type of mentality. Disposable consumerism is a huge driver of pollution. Since we offshored millions of manufacturing jobs, which basically offshored our pollution, we now ship everything back in huge containerships that pollute our air, water, kill marine life, etc.

Old 11-28-2023, 12:04 PM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times
None of those are necessary, or even being called for.

Eventually, market forces will drive the switch from ICE to EV, from fossil fuels to solar, wind, etc. Someday we will look back on today's technologies the same we now look at back the days of horse and buggy - not the greatest, but the best we could do at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies