Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2023, 04:14 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times

Advertisements

I should have included Desantis too. He has good youthful enthusiasm also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2023, 10:37 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,187,543 times
I think republicans need to start a new party.

Old 09-18-2023, 08:31 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,658,483 times
Anyone except a Democrat

Old 09-18-2023, 09:45 AM

4,559 posts, read 4,098,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Sort of a joke this morning.
I am:

1. Anti illegal immigration. Close the border by any means necessary. Deport some illegals.
2. Anti NAFTA for 30 years.
3. Anti abortion.
4. Anti corrupt government.
5. Anti vaccine mandates
6. Anti any future lockdowns
7. Anti mask mandates
8. Anti NATO at this stage. Get us out.
9. Anti World Economic Forum
10. Anti main stream media!
11. Pro second amendment. You are not getting our guns.
12. Pro free markets
13. Pro free speech
14. Pro transparent elections, and voter ID. End mail in voting unless you request an absentee ballot. End machine counting of votes.
15. Pro isolationism, very sick and tired of being the world's arms supplier and policeman.
16. Pro America First.
17. Pro law and order. Enough pussyfooting around with crime. Arrest them, and lock them up.

There appears to be only one vote I could make.
If you are anti NAFTA but pro free market, rethink things. NAFTA is free market.

Same with America first. Free market is cheapest first. Period end of sentance. America will be far behind what is cheapest in terms of priority.

Anti corruption? Again forget the free market. Corruption is one of the ultimate expressions of the free market as the government is for sale to the highest bidder.

Old 09-18-2023, 09:47 AM

26,478 posts, read 15,060,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I'm voting for a Robert Kennedy if I get the chance. Sadly, I probably won't get the chance.
He might run 3rd party because the democrats have a corrupt system.

Old 09-22-2023, 04:11 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,223,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Other countries are taking up English, are bilingual. What's wrong with learning Spanish
I don't get what's wrong with learning Spanish either. Granted, when it comes to conducting business, foreigners should be able to speak English, even if it's broken.

All that said, Spanish has been spoken in the states longer than English and English is not the official language of the U.S. USA has no official language.

Old 09-22-2023, 04:14 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,223,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Exactly.

So, why don’t the tens of millions of Hispanics living in the United States learn English and make an honest attempt to speak English outside of their homes?

That is central to American values and culture.
As long as one can speak English when talking with me, I honestly don't care what other language they speak publicly or privately.

I'll say again though, that being that English is the most widely spoken language in the U.S., those from other nations should be able to utilize English when conducting business in most settings.

Old 09-23-2023, 08:13 AM

73,002 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I don't get what's wrong with learning Spanish either. Granted, when it comes to conducting business, foreigners should be able to speak English, even if it's broken.

All that said, Spanish has been spoken in the states longer than English and English is not the official language of the U.S. USA has no official language.
I don't laugh at anyone or criticize anyone speaking in broken English. At least they're trying to speak English. I sometimes wonder if some people continue to speak their native language rather than English, despite being able to speak English, because they fear being criticized for speaking "broken English".

I remember in elementary school, there was a kid in class who basically spoke no English in the beginning. Another classmate basically translated for him. I remember both of us reading an encyclopedia in together. It turns out, he was learning English nicely. He was just kind of quiet. I wonder if he feared anyone making fun of his English speaking.

I don't mind learning another language. I took on French in high school (and part of college). I still try to find people to speak French with today. I have also tried to learn a bit of other languages. French remains the foreign language I know best.

I also want to mention Louisiana. French and Spanish were spoken in Louisiana long before English was. Up to the 1930s, there were places in Louisiana where people didn't speak any English. There were some places where only French or Spanish were spoken.

Few people know about the Islenos (Spaniards from the Canary Islands) who migrated to Louisiana a long time ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf5SPEzqXE4&t=24s

Old 09-23-2023, 08:17 AM

73,002 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
As long as one can speak English when talking with me, I honestly don't care what other language they speak publicly or privately.

I'll say again though, that being that English is the most widely spoken language in the U.S., those from other nations should be able to utilize English when conducting business in most settings.
As a side note, I've met people from other countries, who were able to speak English, even though they were born, raised, and still technically held residency in countries where English isn't spoken. In many countries, English is taught as a foreign language.

Old 09-23-2023, 06:44 PM

62,889 posts, read 29,114,800 times
Quote:

The problem is when one is forced to Spanish due to the massive illegal immigration problem that we have from Spanish speakers. There is no reason for native English speakers to learn Spanish or any other foreign language in this country unless they work in the tourist industry or have a job dealing with foreign countries. I'll be damned if I will learn Spanish to accommodate these illegal invaders. Most Hispanic-Americans know English so we already have our national de facto language to communicate in. By the way, more than half of our states have made English their "official" language.

Some of the first European languages to be spoken in the U.S. were English, Dutch, French, Spanish, and Swedish. So English was spoken as much as Spanish, etc. was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies