Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 06:18 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,820,807 times

Advertisements

FOXNews.com - Home From Iraq, Wary Marine Fatally Wounded - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News................. Wheres the outrage about all the violence and death's happening in this country? We here from the left every day about the # of soldiers killed in Iraq. How does that number compare to the number of death's in our own country, from senseless violence, much that can be attributed to liberal policies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 06:43 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,848,238 times
Quote:
How does that number compare to the number of death's in our own country, from senseless violence, much that can be attributed to liberal policies
Silas; you're starting to sound like some of the other posters on here that feel a need to blame everything on "liberals" and "liberal policies". How can senseless violence be attributed to liberal policies. Unless by liberal policies you mean allowing any fool to carry around automatic weapons.

Before you or some of the others start, I'm a believer in the second amendment, but I'm a "strict constructionist", which means as long as you're in a "well regulated militia".

golfgod

Old 06-01-2008, 07:06 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
FOXNews.com - Home From Iraq, Wary Marine Fatally Wounded - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News................. Wheres the outrage about all the violence and death's happening in this country? We here from the left every day about the # of soldiers killed in Iraq. How does that number compare to the number of death's in our own country, from senseless violence, much that can be attributed to liberal policies?
Yes, the murder rate in Philadelphia is higher then Bagdad and your right, where is the outrage about the fact that we have more murders here in some cities then we have in a warzone?

Old 06-01-2008, 07:20 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,086 times
Because America has become numb to violence. trying to even explain it to people is like explaining it to a brick wall. Many people here feel it is perfectly normal to have 2 million prisoners and so much violent crime.

But that goes along with how many personal restrictions that have been put place on people in America. The libertarian ideal has been dead for a long time.

I ask many people before what makes this country better than others. No one can ever come up with anything except misperceptions like "we have the right to vote!" or "we are free!" Mindless answers to a question.

The they go to the thought of just because so many immigrants come here, we must be great, until I point out even China and Russia has tons of illegal immigrants.

Not downing America at all, but this place has some overly restrictive policies on individualism, to the point I really think it is being counter productive in our society.

But no one can see the forest for the trees. Immersion has made many oblious to it.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:43 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,331,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Silas; you're starting to sound like some of the other posters on here that feel a need to blame everything on "liberals" and "liberal policies". How can senseless violence be attributed to liberal policies. Unless by liberal policies you mean allowing any fool to carry around automatic weapons.
Right, except he wasn't shot by an automatic weapon. Since it was a handgun, it was likely semiautomatic (like 99.999999% likely). Are you saying that Liberal policies would take away all automatic and semiautomatic weapons?

But it is absolutely true, in more Liberal cities and counties crime rates are higher, despite stricter gun control. Look at Philadelphia, New Orleans, Chicago, LA...

But really, its sad when we can compare the crime rate of Newark, NJ, to Baghdad, Iraq. We have a problem, repealing the 2nd amendment isn't the solution.

Guns aren't the problem, I heard something funny on a talk radio show here in Buffalo where there is Liberal and a Conservative anchor, the exchange was like this:

Liberal: Well the gun buyback program was a great success, I hope we have more.
Conservative: More?!? It was a stupid idea, you think that criminals are going to sell an illegal gun for $50?
Liberal: Well, less guns means less crime.
Conservative: There was a murder yesterday -
Liberal: Exactly! If we could have just bought one more gun, who knows.
Conservative: Well, it was a actually a stabbing...
Liberal: ...Oh, we have a caller.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:55 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
Liberal: Well the gun buyback program was a great success, I hope we have more.
Conservative: More?!? It was a stupid idea, you think that criminals are going to sell an illegal gun for $50?
Liberal: Well, less guns means less crime.
Conservative: There was a murder yesterday -
Liberal: Exactly! If we could have just bought one more gun, who knows.
Conservative: Well, it was a actually a stabbing...
Liberal: ...Oh, we have a caller.
I have to remember that one..

Old 06-01-2008, 08:28 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,820,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post

Before you or some of the others start, I'm a believer in the second amendment, but I'm a "strict constructionist", which means as long as you're in a "well regulated militia".

golfgod
Well I appreciate the fact that generalities can always be troublesome, Liberalism is what it is, just as conservatism is , and in my humble opinion you can trace most of the current ills of this country to liberalism, which is why I am a conservative! Obviously it is a very large topic but in a nutshell, Liberalism is soft on crime , you cannot punish or go after blacks with out being called racist , racial profiling,dont punish the ciminal, punish the weapon. Dont teach moral's, ethics, values or responsibility, just give them money! Bottom line if you look at our society, and follow the devolution from the hippies,free love, antiwar, sex drugs and rocknroll, to what we have today kids having no sense of right or wrong, Liberalism!

Old 06-01-2008, 08:35 PM

413 posts, read 782,512 times
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1023105/Living-Britain-dangerous-Balkans-report-reveals.html

Quote:
Britain is now more dangerous than the Balkans, it was revealed yesterday.

You are more likely to be assaulted, robbed and burgled in Britain than in the region of southeast Europe once synonymous with war and gangsters, according to a report by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime.

Your car is at least ten times more likely to be stolen in Britain than in Albania, Croatia or the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.

Western Europe suffers from double the amount of burglary, over four times as much assault, and 15 times as much robbery as the Balkans, the report revealed.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:33 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,276,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Yes, the murder rate in Philadelphia is higher then Bagdad and your right, where is the outrage about the fact that we have more murders here in some cities then we have in a warzone?
Not if you're Iraqi.
A minimum of 100,000 people have been murdered in Iraq. Of course, they're Iraqi so it might not matter to you.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:42 PM

826 posts, read 1,625,212 times
What..there's crime EVERYWHERE. Here in Cleveland it's really not that bad. Sure, there are bad parts (east side) but the rest is fine. Every city has crime in it. Some more than others yes, but all do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies