Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2023, 08:16 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,653,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
We’re not putting a Hindu in office.
Not so sure, I remember when they wouldn't put a Catholic in the White House!

Old 09-10-2023, 08:17 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,653,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Biden's numbers are so bad the only shock poll right now I can think of is him beating anybody.
Only person Biden can beat is trump.

Old 09-10-2023, 08:40 AM

13,442 posts, read 4,285,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Only person Biden can beat is trump.

but they can't beat Trump.

Old 09-10-2023, 08:43 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Mitt Romney is a Mormon, which is certainly not Protestant.
Yes. Good point.

Quote:
The surprise to me is in the general acceptance of Catholics for the presidency In the Republican Party. It's never been an issue in local races where Catholics are common. Pat Buchanan may have been the first genuine Catholic to be taken seriously in the party for the highest national office, since then it is more common. It could also be that people these days are just not thinking about it like in the past.

The evangelical-fundamentalists who have adopted the Seven Mountain Mandate could have a problem with a Catholic or Mormon, because the goal is to subjugate the government to the church.

"The church is supposed to direct the government."
Lauren Boebert

Which church? Something tells me they are not going to put all that effort into subjugating the government and hand it over to a Catholic. I could be wrong, but it seems unlikely. This would automatically put Christie and DeSantis at a disadvantage on Super Tuesday.

Vivek I presume would not get the support of the Seven Mountain protestants unless he made some kind of spectacular conversion at an altar call. I don't expect him to do that (especially while his parent's are alive), but if he did, I think they would treat him like a God's anointed.
I dont think religion matters anymore, other than as a political tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Not so sure, I remember when they wouldn't put a Catholic in the White House!
And even then its really about Trump beating himself rather than Biden beating him.

Old 09-10-2023, 08:46 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
Who cares what Pence thinks? His conservatism is being a boring church preacher against gays mix with being a neo con pushing for WW 3., that's why he has support of 4% within the party for President.
Boring is fine

Quote:
Like I said, Trump has been the most conservative President since Eisenhower on foreign policy especially compared to both Bushes. Remember them?
He is pretty far from being conservative. LOL

Old 09-10-2023, 09:49 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,855,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
We’re not putting a Hindu in office.
Did you also say "We're not putting a black Muslim in office" in 2007?

Old 09-10-2023, 09:56 AM

45,214 posts, read 26,424,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Did you also say "We're not putting a black Muslim in office" in 2007?
*half

Old 09-10-2023, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Boring is fine

He is pretty far from being conservative. LOL

and please tell us who was the last "conservative" President? Nixon? Ford? Reagan? HW Bush, W Bush? Make me laugh.

In foreign policy and defense spending Trump has been the most Conservative Republican since Eisenhower. He will question our endless wars and endless spending in other countries when most of the last 5 Republican Presidents before him didn't and expanded military spending and raised higher the endless wars.

That's what the party is trying to avoid with Jabba and Haley. Why do you think they are polling in single low digits in the party? Do you need a map in what is going on in the GOP and the country? You think Trump got impeached because of a phone call or it was really he didn't want to push WW 3 in Russia like the establishment wants to.

Old 09-10-2023, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Yes. Good point.

And even then its really about Trump beating himself rather than Biden beating him.
It does in the GOP and the South not in blue states. Trump isn't beating himself. He is doing great. He is beating everyone in the GOP field by over 30 points and he doesn't even have to debate and in the RCP poll average against a sitting President he is basically tied and that's when they have thrown at him the kitchen sink and an asteroid.

I say Trump is doing great. Reminds me of a football championship game in the first half, they throw everything at the opponent and the opponent gets penalties after penalties from the refs and the score is still tied at halftime. Democrats should be really worried. Biden's wheels are coming off and Trump hasn't even started on offense.

Old 09-10-2023, 10:32 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,451,916 times
Quote:
Yes. Good point.

I think it IS a political tool for many so-called conservatives. Starting in the Reagan era and reaching a crescendo in the 2020's.

All one has to do is review all those so-called 'prophets' declaring Trump anointed by God in 2017 and the winner of the general election in 2020. These people are definitely a key part in the whole election lie.

Half of evangelicals believe Trump is anointed by God | May 2020
Quote:
As Reza Aslan, author of “Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth,” told Big Think in an interview: “This makes no sense to people, especially when you consider that Trump is not just the most irreligious president in modern history. His entire worldview makes a mockery of core Christian values like humility and empathy and care for the poor.”
The Christian Prophets Who Say Trump Is Coming Again | February 2021

“As a full-blooded charismatic, I’ll say we’ve earned the world’s mockery for our foolishness.”
Michael Brown|charismatic revivalist and scholar

As a result of this prophetic political chicanery, people are abandoning religion in record numbers.

Now I don't think most Republicans care that much about the particular denomination of the candidate, the party has evolved. But to this one segment, the evangelical/charismatic/fundamentalists ... the religion of the president needs to fit into "God's Plan" ... whatever that is. They will have to rationalize to themselves how God would prefer a Hindu or a Catholic, for example, and get some indication of approval from their ministers and the popular so-called 'prophets' before they will check that box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies