Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2023, 10:34 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In addition, many persons who aren't qualified to do much except dig ditches and push brooms also tend to be surly and defiant. Growing up, I've noticed that some people who couldn't cut it in the classroom were also known for being violent and defiant towards authority. Even if said persons became janitors and ditch diggers, said persons would get fired quickly due to a bad attitude at work or not following orders. Alot of violent criminals aren't qualified to do anything other than dig a ditch or push a broom.

Now, imagine if AI wipes out those jobs. What's next? There are only so many ditch digger and janitor jobs to go around as it is. Imagine if they all disappeared with AI taking those jobs.
i sometimes wonder what it would be like to be just smart enough to know you aren't smart enough. I suspect that it would give a person a bad attitude about everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2023, 11:42 AM

936 posts, read 2,079,945 times
I am one of those Vietnamese boat children that came to the US in the 80s. I was in a refugee camp in Thailand for over 2 years. In the US in Long Beach, CA I was thrown into the 9th grade classes. Despite a gap of 2 years of schooling and little English, I was able to outperformed most students not only in math but also in History, and Geography. I basically read the History book and Geography book with a dictionary. Just 1 year later, I was in the regular English class. I was also horrified that many students disrespected the teachers like putting their legs on the desks or sometimes just completely ignoring the teachers. I went to community college, transferred to UCSD, and then also got my Masters in Engineering from UCLA.
Teachers can only do so much. I don't know what happens at home with Black kids but most didn't take learning seriously. For me, growing up in post war Vietnam that economically was similar to North Korea now, I knew that the opportunity to live and study in the US was very precious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Yep^^!! It starts at home with the family culture. As an example, 40 years ago, parents of Vietnamese children mostly looked their children in the eyes and explained they had the opportunity of a lifetime! They were expected to study HARD. Their parents worked their fingers to the bone to figure out how to get their precious household to the next level. And a 12-year-old boat child for instance who didn't speak a lick of English persevered. I know of several such examples on a personal level.

But that culture has changed over the years. In MN, there is a large Hmong population (also from Vietnam). Culturally speaking, they have blown their opportunity in a new era 40 years later. I can point you to a lot of problems now including this. https://www.ojp.gov/ncjrs/virtual-li...and-crime-rape

Therefore, you could spend as much as you want for K-12 in specific Baltimore cultures or for that matter, the Hmong population of St. Paul, MN, and you might as well burn your 'investment'. We can also look at maps where the Whiskey Tangos re-populate. The three reasons for this change in the Vietnamese culture: family culture, family culture, and family culture.

Old 09-24-2023, 12:42 PM

72,977 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
You could put $1 trillion into it and it won't change a thing.

Head Start was a huge failure. Early Head Start was a huge failure.

Pouring money into a failed experiment is nothing more than "false hope" because there is nothing else.
Well, what else could have been done? The way things were before wasn't working. And spending 7 times as much on prison doesn't seem to deter crime either.

Old 09-24-2023, 12:47 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
I am one of those Vietnamese boat children that came to the US in the 80s. I was in a refugee camp in Thailand for over 2 years. In the US in Long Beach, CA I was thrown into the 9th grade classes. Despite a gap of 2 years of schooling and little English, I was able to outperformed most students not only in math but also in History, and Geography. I basically read the History book and Geography book with a dictionary. Just 1 year later, I was in the regular English class. I was also horrified that many students disrespected the teachers like putting their legs on the desks or sometimes just completely ignoring the teachers. I went to community college, transferred to UCSD, and then also got my Masters in Engineering from UCLA.
Teachers can only do so much. I don't know what happens at home with Black kids but most didn't take learning seriously. For me, growing up in post war Vietnam that economically was similar to North Korea now, I knew that the opportunity to live and study in the US was very precious.
Thanks for posting. And kudos for your stick-to-itiveness, dedication, passion, and intense horsepower! I'm proud of you! AND your family culture who was unwilling to toss away a world-class opportunity. Welcome to the land of opportunity!

Old 09-24-2023, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
i sometimes wonder what it would be like to be just smart enough to know you aren't smart enough. I suspect that it would give a person a bad attitude about everything.
I think jealousy and materialism drive a bad attitude about life. When someone is content with very few material possessions and doesn't have an instant gratification mentality, said person will have a better attitude.

What we see with alot of criminals involves greed, selfishness, and materialistic attitudes. People who value material things far more than other people.

Those persons who know they can't cut it in academics also know they can't survive on minimum wage. Said persons will throw all morality out of the window if it means extra money.

Old 09-24-2023, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
You could put $1 trillion into it and it won't change a thing.

Head Start was a huge failure. Early Head Start was a huge failure.

Pouring money into a failed experiment is nothing more than "false hope" because there is nothing else.
I got a fabulous idea! How about we stop abortions in Baltimore? 31,000 abortions happened in Baltimore in 2021 with mostly poor, single 'parents'. Now we can add in some procreation to get another batch of problems. Smart thinking!

Old 09-24-2023, 01:07 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
I got a fabulous idea! How about we stop abortions in Baltimore? 31,000 abortions happened in Baltimore in 2021 with mostly poor, single 'parents'. Now we can add in some procreation to get another batch of problems. Smart thinking!
You need not worry. Maryland will absolutely protect all abortion rights, from here to eternity. In fact, it's on the ballot to enshrine abortion as a constitutional right in this state.

Old 09-24-2023, 01:12 PM

Quote:
The group responsible for the most violent crime also contributes the most abortions. Sounds like abortion doesn't work.

Old 09-24-2023, 01:15 PM

43,059 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Well, what else could have been done? The way things were before wasn't working. And spending 7 times as much on prison doesn't seem to deter crime either.
A social wakeup is needed...a big one because there's a whole lot wrong with K-12 education in general.
With so much Fed $$$ dangled at schools..the priority has become keeping their Fed $$$ vs caring enough about the kids not to just push them on.

Old 09-24-2023, 01:47 PM

Quote:
The group responsible for the most violent crime also contributes the most abortions.
Yep!
Quote:
Sounds like abortion doesn't work.
Without 31,000 of those abortions, that poor broken culture family will reproduce tens of thousands of MORE crimes. I thought that was self-explanatory. Evidently, not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies