Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2023, 09:35 AM
bu2 bu2 started this thread

24,116 posts, read 14,940,585 times

Advertisements

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/re...ue_149790.html

A very concerning poll, especially with the young.

"...Painting with a broad brush, Democrats grant significantly more deference to government than do Republicans when it comes to regulating free speech. This wasn’t the only fault line revealed by the RCP survey.

Some of what is dividing these differences is generational, as Millennials and Gen-Z have come of age in a digital age environment in which reasonable expectations of privacy seem a relic of the past. “Those under 30 are most open to censorship by the government,” Kimball noted, adding that 42% of this cohort deem it “more important” to them that the government protect national security than guard the right to free expression. Among those over 65 years old, the corresponding percentage was 26%...."

<some of the key differences between parties>

"...This is a relatively new development. Traditionally, opposing censorship — whether imposed by government or corporations — was a bedrock principle of liberalism in this country. The American Civil Liberties Union was founded in 1920 to promote and defend free expression. And this ideal was at the heart of liberal thought, liberal lawmaking, and liberal jurisprudence during most of the 20th century.

But times change. And notwithstanding the controversial current push by social conservatives to denude public school libraries of content they dislike, the new RealClear Opinion Research poll is the latest to document the gradual change that has taken place on the left when it comes to this free expression. Here are some of its findings:

Republican voters (74%) and independents (61%) believe speech should be legal “under any circumstances, while Democrats are almost evenly divided. A bare majority of Democrats (53%) say speech should be legal under any circumstances, while 47% say it should be legal “only under certain circumstances.”
Nearly one-third of Democratic voters (34%) say Americans have “too much freedom.” This compared to 14.6% of Republicans. Republicans were most likely to say Americans have too little freedom (46%), while only 22% of Democrats feel that way. Independents were in the middle in both categories.
Although majorities of Democrats, Republicans, and independents agree the news media should be able to report stories they believe are in the national interest, this consensus shifts when it comes to social media censorship. A majority of Democrats (52%) approve of the government censoring social media content under the rubric of protecting national security. Among Republicans and independents, this percentage is only one-third.
Poll respondents were read this statement: “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” Only 31% of Democratic voters “strongly agreed” with that sentiment, compared to 51% of Republicans....""
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2023, 09:47 AM

19,881 posts, read 9,437,343 times
This comes as absolutely NO surprise to me, and it is a SHAME.

Old 09-23-2023, 09:51 AM

20,156 posts, read 20,945,478 times
Yet these total losers are the first ones to cry about censorship and free speech.

Old 09-23-2023, 09:55 AM

14,238 posts, read 4,616,697 times
They will care about free speech when you take away or restrict their Facebook and Tiktok

Old 09-23-2023, 09:57 AM

6,578 posts, read 7,182,356 times
My step daughter is about as liberal as you can get, she was telling me it should be against the law to say anything racist. Her husband who was in the conversation and is half black and half Mexican disagreed with her right away…

Old 09-23-2023, 09:59 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,062,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
They will care about free speech when you take away or restrict their Facebook and Tiktok
Indeed and as the rock band Cinderella once said in his song:"Don't know what you got, 'til it's gone".

Old 09-23-2023, 10:05 AM

21,981 posts, read 9,565,755 times
I was trying to wake my mom up to what is going on in our country. But I had to start very slowing because like most liberals, she shuts you down when you say anything she disagrees with. So I was showing her a great article about free speech and how if you limit it, who gets to decide. We were having a nice discussion via email because she is deaf and it's hard to talk to her by phone. I had just gotten her to say that we should have some limitations on free speech and I was going to hit her again with WHO gets to decide what is acceptable to say when she had to be hospitalized and had a psychiatric incident where you couldn't talk to her at all.

It's sad that most kids don't understand where that's going to lead but as a parent of an 18 year old and a 20 year old, I know how they got there. See my threads on the indoctrination.

Old 09-23-2023, 10:12 AM

30,540 posts, read 19,288,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
What Democrats are against is Republicans having free speech, they still have free speech.

Old 09-23-2023, 10:16 AM

6,845 posts, read 9,395,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
My step daughter is about as liberal as you can get, she was telling me it should be against the law to say anything racist. Her husband who was in the conversation and is half black and half Mexican disagreed with her right away…
Haha. I’m sure what she really meant was that the law should be applied based on race. So, if a white person says something racist, should be illegal and punished. If a non-white person says something racist, there should be no consequences because oppressed.

But I’m not surprised by this. Democrats love to shut people up and get them in trouble for, what’s the Democrat word for this, “problematic” speech. And the definition of “problematic” seems to change every day, since Democrat are always finding new words and ideas to consider as “problematic.”

Old 09-23-2023, 10:30 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,246,666 times
Young people are being *taught* to believe this way - the woke ideology of shutting down dialogue and open discussion is spread in schools and especially colleges.

Recent study on free speech and colleges campuses shows 27% of students said using violence to stop free speech on campus is acceptable to some degree.
https://san.com/cc/new-college-free-...comes-in-last/

The push to teach hating your own country, infringement of constitutional rights, accepting/approving of totalitarian policies - brought to you by teachers and professors indoctrinating the youth of America.

Dems in training ensuring the demise of this country - hooray for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies