Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2023, 11:52 AM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times

Advertisements

It's called a dress code people. I realize that most want to get rid of dress codes all over society and let "whatever" fly.
But until rules are changed....well adhere to the code or face the consequences. It's that simple.

Old 09-25-2023, 11:54 AM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
The issue is that the rules aren't being enforced consistently. there are pictures of other male white students who have hair that violate the rules. Their lawyer has a picture of a while male student with dreadlocks that were worn down (which violates the length rule) and the school refuses to investigate that student. Even if there weren't examples of white male students that were allowed to violate the rule, the student not only wears his hair in a style that meets the rule, being ask to cut his hair now violates a state law.
You contradicted yourself in one single paragraph.
You shouldn't make up stuff to justify your opinion.

"There are".... and then "even if there aren't"

Old 09-25-2023, 11:59 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
All I see anymore is braless women, not sure if it's some kind of statement or whatever. Pretty inappropriate for a girl in HS with her boobs pretty much on display, they should have sent her home. Rules are for a reason.
We all knew that. The point was arbitrary enforcement. Even years ago. Not much has changed. Her boobs were covered by a heavy cotton tee shirt with a photo printed on it. They were not on display, but the inadequate underwear sure was. And what does adequate underwear mean AFA rules are concerned.

Old 09-25-2023, 12:02 PM

3,081 posts, read 1,743,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Well, trying to conflate hair net rules in food service with arbitrary hair rules for students is a losing argument and makes no point relevant to this young man's position. How does the hairstyle of the students interfere with their education? And the answer is, it doesn't.

And as others have pointed out, the rules are not being evenly applied.
Wasn't trying to conflate anything. If you'd read my post more carefully, you'd have seen the disclaimer. It was more of a side note.

Old 09-25-2023, 12:03 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
A young man, Darryl George, has been suspended over his hair. Apparently his "do" violates school policy. Call me a crazy old man, but (a) it's just hair, and (b) with all the other issues with teenage boys and violence, you want to make this an issue?

Jeebus, leave the kid alone. We should be supporting his efforts to get an education, not road blocking them.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bl...c150ba3d&ei=15
I agree BUT, he violated school policy. If the student body does not agree with school policy they can go by the means to change it. You cant just allow everyone or particular students to ignore the school policy everyone gets when the start at a particular school. Follow policy or try to change it.

Old 09-25-2023, 12:15 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
do you have sources for these claims?
I would like to see that as well. I read the linked OP and there was nothing about that. They were discussing race and "cultural" hair styles, nothing about consistency in enforcing the rule.
Perhaps there is another article some posters have read.
Maybe there is no violation of the crown act so now the story is changing.

Old 09-25-2023, 12:19 PM

3,647 posts, read 1,600,968 times
All 'races' have many men and women that grow long hair. Don't see how it would be protected as discriminatory along racial, cultural or religious grounds in the Crown Act.

They claim his locs are “an outward expression of his Black identity and culture,”. Ok, wear locs, but there is still a hair length dress code. And if you cut locs short they are not locs anymore, forcing him to abandon his Black identity hair style?

That's what the court has to decide apparently. Are hair locs a cultural identity and should be exempt from long hair code?

My answer is they are not a cultural identity. They are a fashion fad inside Black community. Unless all males of the Black culture wear locs, because if they didn't they would feel they don't have a Black identity. And many Blacks do not wear locs.

Old 09-25-2023, 12:25 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Why is he suing the governor? The governor has nothing to do with this, this was a school decision. The governor is not who told the school to suspend him.

Old 09-25-2023, 12:32 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,580,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
You contradicted yourself in one single paragraph.
You shouldn't make up stuff to justify your opinion.

"There are".... and then "even if there aren't"
I think you are misreading what was posted. No contradiction.

Old 09-25-2023, 12:32 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
A young man, Darryl George, has been suspended over his hair. Apparently his "do" violates school policy. Call me a crazy old man, but (a) it's just hair, and (b) with all the other issues with teenage boys and violence, you want to make this an issue?

Jeebus, leave the kid alone. We should be supporting his efforts to get an education, not road blocking them.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bl...c150ba3d&ei=15
Why sue the governor? He has nothing to do with it. That's a district policy. My kids went to school in Katy ISD and no one ever got suspended over hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.