Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2023, 01:27 PM

6,139 posts, read 3,362,970 times

Advertisements

Mob rule does not work. It always leads to violence. If 45% of the country loses every single political battle and election, what option is left for their voice to be heard?

What we have now is far from perfect, no system is, but it’s better than civil war.

Old 10-11-2023, 02:23 PM

329 posts, read 237,694 times
People in any given location vote according to local issues... or the things they find important...they don't really care what's happening to a farmer in Iowa. So in a popular vote election in the US, all a politician would have to do is to pander to the wants for the major metropolitan cities and ignore fly over country. So major metros areas want to force mass transit and electric vehicles n the country.. because that make sense to them... then they will get it.. at the expense of everyone else.. who cares if it kills the livelihood of that farmer in Iowa... he should known better than to live out there anyway.. right?

The Electoral college help prevent the "Tyranny of the Majority" by giving smaller populations some say in the direction of the country.

Old 10-11-2023, 03:06 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,332,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Most of CA wanted to ban gay marriage too.
Yes. Well, actually it was a law making marriage only between a man and a woman.

Old 10-11-2023, 03:28 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,176,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Personally I have mixed feelings about the electoral college - in the aggregate I think it's a wash for both parties. Many democrats complain that it favors republicans, and thus they want to get rid of it, but I suspect there will be times in the future when it will benefit democrats. So overall my reaction is, 'Whatever.' I have no strong feelings about getting rid of it, or keeping it.

But this I found interesting. According to this Pew survey, nearly 2/3 of Americans want to get rid of it and have the POTUS elected by popular vote. Survey came out today.

Majority of Americans continue to favor moving away from Electoral College

According to the survey, even 47% of republicans or independents who lean republican are in favor of getting rid of it. Democrats, perhaps unsurprisingly, are overwhelmingly in favor of getting rid of it.
If people like the majority rule, well, a majority of Democrats want someone other than Biden to run for president.

The majority can be convinced to demand that we impose a lot of destructive laws and rules on the nation, but that is not how our system of constitutional republic government is run.

Old 10-11-2023, 03:40 PM

10,493 posts, read 4,051,560 times
If we are going to just go by popular vote, then why do we need congress? Just get rid of them and let the people vote directly on bills, budget plans and other spending measures.

Old 10-11-2023, 03:44 PM

25,850 posts, read 16,547,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
If we are going to just go by popular vote, then why do we need congress? Just get rid of them and let the people vote directly on bills, budget plans and other spending measures.
Imagine that.

What would the 23 lobbyists per congressperson do?

Old 10-11-2023, 03:46 PM

25,850 posts, read 16,547,069 times
Here's my rebuttal to abolishing the EC

Not only will we NOT abolish it, we will institute strict EC rules in states like California so under represented and sparsely populated counties will get much more say in STATE politics....or we will just break California up into 5 new states.

Old 10-11-2023, 03:51 PM

25,965 posts, read 22,149,005 times
I seriously don't believe that to be the case, especially after the election of 2020.

https://www.history.com/news/elector...nal-convention

"Among the many thorny questions debated by the delegates to the 1787 Constitutional Convention, one of the hardest to resolve was how to elect the president. The Founding Fathers debated for months, with some arguing that Congress should pick the president and others insistent on a democratic popular vote."

"Their compromise is known as the Electoral College."

Again, whenever you talk about a poll, one really needs to look at how many were polled, and also the demographics involved. Polls most often turn out the way the pollster wants them to.

There is far too many questions about our voting system these days. I would not support popular vote for electing the POTUS. Sadly, the system is too vulnerable, and people just too darn evil to allow it.

Old 10-11-2023, 03:54 PM

10,493 posts, read 4,051,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Imagine that.

What would the 23 lobbyists per congressperson do?
How much money would we save by getting rid of congress and all their perks?

Old 10-11-2023, 04:07 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,677,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Here's my rebuttal to abolishing the EC

Not only will we NOT abolish it, we will institute strict EC rules in states like California so under represented and sparsely populated counties will get much more say in STATE politics....or we will just break California up into 5 new states.
I agree this country will not abolish the Electoral College, but for different reasons. It has been in existence for 234 years, and one party currently benefits from it. It is extremely difficult to amend the Constitution and it will only happen if there is broad support. An amendment may be proposed by a two-thirds vote of both Houses of Congress, or, if two-thirds of the States request one, by a convention called for that purpose. The amendment must then be ratified by three-fourths of the State legislatures. An amendment hasn't been proposed and ratified since the 26th Amendment in 1971.

Regarding the Electoral College and California, there is no connection between the EC and state politics. The EC only involves electing the POTUS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.