Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2023, 06:23 AM

59,216 posts, read 27,403,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
That's actually a pretty good sample size. Most national polls use somewhere around 1,000-3,000 people.
The age of those polled is also important and where they live.

Old 10-16-2023, 06:26 AM

59,216 posts, read 27,403,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
Polls are manipulated how the questions are worded. It shouldn't be use to change the constitution. If the full debate came to Congress and people hear the reason We have the E.C., is not going to be 2/3 in favor of popular vote. The people in the smaller states are not voting for it and last time I look, each state has 2 Senators each and you are not getting anywhere to 2/3 in the Senate to change drastically the constitution.

3,000 out of 200+ million people is not a good sample to change the constitution. I know for sure that 30 states are not voting 2/3 in favor of changing the constitution and losing power in the Presidential vote.

What this poll doesn't say is the breakdown of the 3,000 people by state. That's what 60 people per state? or they used more people in California and New York in the poll?

Last thing, all the states that entered the Union agreed to the formula in the constitution how to pick the President and how to amend the constitution. Why should smaller states surrender power in representation to bigger states when that is not what they agreed when they entered and to change the constitution you need 2/3 in the Senate. Is not popular vote when We amend the constitution.

We are a Republic not a direct democracy.
"We are a Republic not a direct democracy.

Details, details details. Something many on the left can't handle.

Old 10-16-2023, 06:52 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,670,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Everyone’s vote should count but it doesn’t. I live in a blue state and I don’t even need to vote because it makes no difference. That’s the same with red states. We don’t have a voice. Why do people need to vote at all

That is what quite a few blue voters thought in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin and did not bother to vote. Suddenly the blue wall crumbled and Trump seized victory.

There is never a "certainty" blue or red state. NC and GA are turning purple and might one day be blue. So will Texas. And NY and NJ had a bit of reddishness and democrats almost lost the governor's seat. If a centrist republican can come from CA, there can be a shift.

Nothing can be taken for granted long term.

Old 10-16-2023, 08:10 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,839,833 times
Quote:
Everyone’s vote should count but it doesn’t. I live in a blue state and I don’t even need to vote because it makes no difference. That’s the same with red states. We don’t have a voice. Why do people need to vote at all
Sure it does. There's only one election that the EC affects. In fact most peoples lives are more affected by local/state elections by far. Are any in your state elections decided by the EC?

Old 10-16-2023, 08:40 AM

13,984 posts, read 5,644,902 times
Quote:
To convince each other that the rigged game of thrones has some sort of participatory legitimacy, which is clearly untrue. It's more of an opiate for the masses than religion, this absurd belief that any vote matters. The oligarchy appoints winners and losers and uses the election circus as cover and distraction.

Second, not only is your vote meaningless from any sort of participation standpoint, it makes you complicit in your own oppression via your explicit sanction of tyranny, having taken part in it and thus legitimizing it. People say "well, you didn't vote, so you have no right to complain" and I think it's the opposite. If you vote, no matter who you voted for, you voted for someone to hold a monopoly on force and violence and involuntary power over you. That is a simple fact of involuntary government. Thus, you explicitly asked for whatever it is the political class does to you, giving you no right to then come around and claim unwilling victim status. Cannot rape the willing.

Finally, nothing changes regardless of which team (red or blue) is holding the lead at any point in their game of thrones. Debt goes up, oppression/intrusion/cost increases, people are less free all the way around, and no matter what the partisans for either team claim, their team cannot and will not change any direction they find troubling.

So add it up.
  • Your vote elects nobody, powerbrokers with $billions appoint them.
  • Your vote is your complicity and sanction of everything the political class does to you
  • Your vote changes nothing because no matter who wins at what level, nothing changes.
Back to your highlighted query...yeah, why do people need to vote at all?

Old 10-16-2023, 08:57 AM

3,500 posts, read 2,792,467 times
I think that this would be a good idea!

It would shake up the system. All too often Americans blindly follow the same as before even when it's not working.

Old 10-16-2023, 09:51 AM

13,495 posts, read 4,317,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
I think that this would be a good idea!

It would shake up the system. All too often Americans blindly follow the same as before even when it's not working.

And how is this going to work? Giving the big states huge political power, why should the smaller states stay in the Union?

Why have a national election? Just take the 8 biggest populated states and let them pick the federal government from people in their states.

Shaking the system to create a mess and a big division between the big and small states I wouldn't call progress.

If you want a country with a national popular vote that governs the 50 states but only 8 states will decide the outcome then burn the constitution, start all over again and give the choice to the states to join or not to join the new Republic. The states joined the union with the current constitution. That was the deal and to change the constitution, you need 2/3 in the Senate and all states have equal votes in the Senate. If you are going to change the constitution by ignoring the current rules of the constitution then give the states the option to leave.

Old 10-16-2023, 10:10 AM

37,956 posts, read 17,896,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Yes it is very much hurting the idea that people's vote counts and matters, and I've provided a lot of arguments explaining that.
None have any value whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
An utterly ridiculous and nonsensical claim, that's been pretty thoroughly debunked by myself and others throughout this thread.
lol No it hasn't. Make somethign else up.

Old 10-16-2023, 10:15 AM

198 posts, read 101,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
To convince each other that the rigged game of thrones has some sort of participatory legitimacy, which is clearly untrue. It's more of an opiate for the masses than religion, this absurd belief that any vote matters. The oligarchy appoints winners and losers and uses the election circus as cover and distraction.

I totally agree. It's an oligarchy, a uniparty, a cabal of elites...whatever you want to call it. They want us to shut up and pay taxes without complaint. There's zero reason to vote and I strongly believe people should cancel their voter registrations. We're nothing but tax cows to the political class. They don't relate to us. They don't care about us. Them and their ilk all over the world are turning our economies into one giant pyramid scheme with them on top, us at the bottom. This video helps explain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tu32CCA_Ig

Last edited by LaKings55; 10-16-2023 at 10:24 AM..

Old 10-16-2023, 10:18 AM

37,956 posts, read 17,896,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post

Second, not only is your vote meaningless from any sort of participation standpoint, it makes you complicit in your own oppression via your explicit sanction of tyranny, having taken part in it and thus legitimizing it. People say "well, you didn't vote, so you have no right to complain" and I think it's the opposite. If you vote, no matter who you voted for, you voted for someone to hold a monopoly on force and violence and involuntary power over you. That is a simple fact of involuntary government. Thus, you explicitly asked for whatever it is the political class does to you, giving you no right to then come around and claim unwilling victim status. Cannot rape the willing.

Finally, nothing changes regardless of which team (red or blue) is holding the lead at any point in their game of thrones. Debt goes up, oppression/intrusion/cost increases, people are less free all the way around, and no matter what the partisans for either team claim, their team cannot and will not change any direction they find troubling.

So add it up.
  • Your vote elects nobody, powerbrokers with $billions appoint them.
  • Your vote is your complicity and sanction of everything the political class does to you
  • Your vote changes nothing because no matter who wins at what level, nothing changes.
Back to your highlighted query...yeah, why do people need to vote at all?
We have corporations donating a ton of money because like Mitt Romney says "Corporations are people"

And the ones squawking the loudest are from the left. Guess they forgot about the democrats having Super delegates. They don't want the popular vote either. In 1972 Humphrey won the popular vote over McGovern. Wallace who was shot and didn't campaign the last 1/4 of the contest, was 2.5% back of Humphrey on the popular vote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies