Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2023, 07:50 PM

20,904 posts, read 9,608,955 times

Advertisements

Personally I have mixed feelings about the electoral college - in the aggregate I think it's a wash for both parties. Many democrats complain that it favors republicans, and thus they want to get rid of it, but I suspect there will be times in the future when it will benefit democrats. So overall my reaction is, 'Whatever.' I have no strong feelings about getting rid of it, or keeping it.

But this I found interesting. According to this Pew survey, nearly 2/3 of Americans want to get rid of it and have the POTUS elected by popular vote. Survey came out today.

Majority of Americans continue to favor moving away from Electoral College
Quote:
Nearly two-thirds of U.S. adults (65%) say the way the president is elected should be changed so that the winner of the popular vote nationwide wins the presidency. A third favor keeping the current Electoral College system.

Public opinion on this question is essentially unchanged from last year, though Americans’ support for using the popular vote to decide the presidency remains higher than it was a few years ago.
According to the survey, even 47% of republicans or independents who lean republican are in favor of getting rid of it. Democrats, perhaps unsurprisingly, are overwhelmingly in favor of getting rid of it.

Old 09-25-2023, 08:10 PM

1,369 posts, read 481,944 times
So the pretences can be dropped, and the ballots will go directly to 'electing' whoever is put up there. We all know this would ultimately benefit the Democrats moreso than the Republicans. Supposedly, a GOP candidate hasn't won the popular vote since 2004. What does that imply? Democrat hegemony for the next quarter to half a century?

Old 09-25-2023, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryvete View Post
We all know this would ultimately benefit the Democrats moreso than the Republicans.
As I noted, that is currently true, but would it still be true, say, 50 years from now? 100 years from now? Who knows? It could be there will be times in the future when the electoral college would benefit democrats, or its absence would benefit republicans.

The thing I'm surprised at is the large % of people who want to get rid of it. I knew many people did, but I never thought it would be as many as 2/3.

Old 09-25-2023, 08:17 PM

32,152 posts, read 15,143,911 times
The electoral college definitely favors republicans. They would rarely win the presidency if it was decided by the popular vote. I think that's why many don't bother voting....their vote doesn't really count.

Old 09-25-2023, 08:33 PM

32,833 posts, read 19,538,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Personally I have mixed feelings about the electoral college - in the aggregate I think it's a wash for both parties. Many democrats complain that it favors republicans, and thus they want to get rid of it, but I suspect there will be times in the future when it will benefit democrats. So overall my reaction is, 'Whatever.' I have no strong feelings about getting rid of it, or keeping it.

But this I found interesting. According to this Pew survey, nearly 2/3 of Americans want to get rid of it and have the POTUS elected by popular vote. Survey came out today.

Majority of Americans continue to favor moving away from Electoral College

According to the survey, even 47% of republicans or independents who lean republican are in favor of getting rid of it. Democrats, perhaps unsurprisingly, are overwhelmingly in favor of getting rid of it.
so win a few major cities and take it all...... small states and rural areas be damned.

welcome to communism

Old 09-25-2023, 08:34 PM

18,743 posts, read 7,647,976 times
Quote:
Supposedly, a GOP candidate hasn't won the popular vote since 2004. What does that imply? Democrat hegemony for the next quarter to half a century?
Nope.

It means that Democrats were put into power for a long enough time to demonstrate what they really intend for the country, and how much they will lie, cheat, defraud, and break our laws to stay in power.

Hopefully this will result in Republican hegemony for the next quarter to half a century.

Old 09-25-2023, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
so win a few major cities and take it all...... small states and rural areas be damned.

welcome to communism
Most of the countries in the world elect their president via popular vote.

Are all of those communist?

What would be your excuse if, once again, the lack of an electoral college favored republicans sometime in the future? Would that be communistic?

Old 09-25-2023, 08:39 PM

5,778 posts, read 4,741,693 times
Without the EC, elections would be decided by whatever candidate California wanted.

Old 09-25-2023, 08:40 PM

32,152 posts, read 15,143,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Without the EC, elections would be decided by whatever candidate California wanted.
You mean it would be decided by the people

Old 09-25-2023, 08:45 PM

9,466 posts, read 11,226,226 times
Quote:
So the pretences can be dropped, and the ballots will go directly to 'electing' whoever is put up there. We all know this would ultimately benefit the Democrats moreso than the Republicans. Supposedly, a GOP candidate hasn't won the popular vote since 2004. What does that imply? Democrat hegemony for the next quarter to half a century?
Popular vote is much easier to cheat on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies