Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2023, 05:49 PM

4,552 posts, read 4,087,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
How Much Does Education Improve Intelligence? A Meta-Analysis

The lesser educated try to tell themselves that having more education does not make you smarter because it would be an admission they are not as smart as those with more education than them. Furthermore, since they are lesser educated and, thus, tend to have lower IQ's, they are incapable of understanding how education can actually make one smarter.

Of course, such people aren't going to understand the analysis at the link anyway, but be that as it may.
I agree with GuyNTexas. The "educated" are full of midwits. People smart enough to use the remaining intelligence they've got, including any other resources like spent morals and ego, on coming off smarter than they are. I've got a Masters and I'm not going any further unless I want to work in academy.

College degrees in my field (engineering) are literally becoming seen as a lack of confidence, and also a gaping hole on which someone could have had real world experience instead. People in the field have seen TOO MANY of what GuyNTexas described as 'people smart enough to retain test information for a 3-5 month period ad infinitum until 5 years have passed' but are otherwise midwits when it comes to application and too often worse, cheaters and liars. So they almost disregard the degree entirely when doing the interview etc.

And also what GuyNTexas said, the "educated" have so much riding on their ego and entitlement for getting a degree. Almost all will lie about who they are, and what they believe to be accepted in to a high paying job, as needed. This is why too many end up liberal, because their whole career, and therefore ego, all those people they one'd up their whole lives, depend on their acceptance so they'll completely give up their integrity to fit in what they perceive is the "high society norm". Which is defined by television and the msm. And boy has the the msm science'd taking advantage of these moral worms with their hats in the hands.

Old 10-16-2023, 06:43 PM

15,142 posts, read 8,706,807 times
Quote:

The lesser educated try to tell themselves that having more education does not make you smarter because it would be an admission they are not as smart as those with more education than them. Furthermore, since they are lesser educated and, thus, tend to have lower IQ's, they are incapable of understanding how education can actually make one smarter.

Of course, such people aren't going to understand the analysis at the link anyway, but be that as it may.
Education and intelligence are two separate matters, if also somewhat complimentary. Obviously, the more intelligent a person is, the more likely they will excel in academics. However, academics alone will not impart or determine intelligence, which is based more on born traits, environment, upbringing as well as nutrition. Proof of this is clearly shown in children with much higher IQ’s, compared to adults with college degrees. Obviously the children are too young to attribute academics to their high IQ.

Of course, this is an exercise of logical analysis that requires a certain level of natural intelligence to understand the nuances between attaining knowledge (education) and ability to learn and understand new information (intelligence).

The only positive effect (scientifically speaking) education can possibly have on intelligence is what we understand about the brain’s neural growth processes that take place when the brain is tasked with processing new information. But that doesn’t require an academic environment to realize those gains. One can do this in many ways, from learning to play a musical instrument, to playing video games, to simply reading books, or even having thoughtful conversations (not small talk) with others.

On the other hand, the positive benefits of education are directly dependent upon the legitimacy and accuracy of the new information being presented to the student. If what is presented is comprised of biased nonsense, and inaccurate information, then such academic activity will have a net negative effect on intelligence. This is something we see clear evidence of now, after decades of liberal dominance in the field of education, and the steadily declining academic performance of todays students. Garbage in, garbage out.

Then we have the more difficult subject of so many folks of lesser intelligence who have become convinced they are geniuses because they have some “certification”. These are the most dangerous types of idiots. The ones who think they know, but everything they know is false.

Old 10-16-2023, 06:47 PM

20,966 posts, read 9,671,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Education and intelligence are two separate matters, if also somewhat complimentary. Obviously, the more intelligent a person is, the more likely they will excel in academics. However, academics alone will not impart or determine intelligence, which is based more on born traits, environment, upbringing as well as nutrition. Proof of this is clearly shown in children with much higher IQ’s, compared to adults with college degrees. Obviously the children are too young to attribute academics to their high IQ.

Of course, this is an exercise of logical analysis that requires a certain level of natural intelligence to understand the nuances between attaining knowledge (education) and ability to learn and understand new information (intelligence).

The only positive effect (scientifically speaking) education can possibly have on intelligence is what we understand about the brain’s neural growth processes that take place when the brain is tasked with processing new information. But that doesn’t require an academic environment to realize those gains. One can do this in many ways, from learning to play a musical instrument, to playing video games, to simply reading books, or even having thoughtful conversations (not small talk) with others.

On the other hand, the positive benefits of education are directly dependent upon the legitimacy and accuracy of the new information being presented to the student. If what is presented is comprised of biased nonsense, and inaccurate information, then such academic activity will have a net negative effect on intelligence. This is something we see clear evidence of now, after decades of liberal dominance in the field of education, and the steadily declining academic performance of todays students. Garbage in, garbage out.

Then we have the more difficult subject of so many folks of lesser intelligence who have become convinced they are geniuses because they have some “certification”. These are the most dangerous types of idiots. The ones who think they know, but everything they know is false.
As I said:
Quote:

Old 10-16-2023, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Why a high IQ doesn't mean you're smart

IQ tests are very good at measuring certain mental faculties, he says, including logic, abstract reasoning, learning ability and working-memory capacity - how much information you can hold in mind.

But the tests fall down when it comes to measuring those abilities crucial to making good judgements in real-life situations. That's because they are unable to assess things such as a person's ability to critically weigh up information, or whether an individual can override the intuitive cognitive biases that can lead us astray.

https://som.yale.edu/news/2009/11/wh...an-youre-smart
You have just defined how IQ and Education are separate things. And just as eduction covers a wide area of topics, there are many varieties and aspects of intelligence too. There are a multitude of logic based areas of intelligence, as well as emotional intelligence, social intelligence, etc. The standard IQ tests are designed to evaluate many of these specific areas in order to produce an overall score, which we call the Intelligence Quotient.

But I disagree strongly with the bolder part above. Critical analysis skills are well analyzed in IQ testing, particularly in the realm of abstract reasoning such as presenting a series of items, and then offering a choice to select which item would logically be next ..... such as ..... A-C-F-J-O-? and you choose which letter should be next in this particular pattern .... 1) R .... 2) U .... 3) T ....

This is a rather easy example for illustration purposes, but there are several types of these questions that get progressively more challenging in IQ testing, using numbers, shapes, colors, etc.

I take it you haven’t actually taken an IQ test, or you would already know that was wrong.

Old 10-16-2023, 07:15 PM

Quote:
As I said:

And like I said, those who think they are geniuses, are less likely to be any smarter next week than the were last week.

And you’ll probably miss the significance of this image. But I’ll give you a hint ... it’s directly related to one’s own ability to reason and reach their own conclusions, rather than rely on other’s conclusions, especially when it comes from medical and scientific journals.

Old 10-16-2023, 07:25 PM

20,966 posts, read 9,671,417 times
Quote:
And like I said, those who think they are geniuses, are less likely to be any smarter next week than the were last week.

Old 10-16-2023, 07:29 PM

20,056 posts, read 18,328,182 times
Quote:

And you’ll probably miss the significance of this image. But I’ll give you a hint ... it’s directly related to one’s own ability to reason and reach their own conclusions, rather than rely on other’s conclusions, especially when it comes from medical and scientific journals.

Here's what she wrote about covid and vaccines in Sept. 2022.

It's exceedingly pro-vax.
https://www.santafenewmexican.com/op...62983e4f2.html

Old 10-16-2023, 07:32 PM

45,607 posts, read 61,028,910 times
Well, this thread has circled the drain.

Old 10-16-2023, 07:41 PM

30,264 posts, read 18,817,089 times
Quote:

I have a BS in Chemical Engineering and an MD and have published over 20 bench research papers in the peer reviewed medical literature. I have taught at a few medical schools and have a high measured IQ. However, I sincerely believe that the impact of formal education on intellect is minimal. One can, if one is motivated, educate yourself and enhance your ability to solve problems, which is basically what an IQ test measures. Given the opportunity, I felt as though I could have accumulated the information and skills necessary for medicine much quicker if allowed to educate myself rather than go through the formal curriculum. Becoming a physician is much more dependent on memory than problem solving skills.

One of my paternal uncles, who worked at the post office and was a farmer, had a measured IQ of 181 (Einstein's I believe was 154 or 156). My uncle's IQ was measured formally in the military (he had only a high school education). He educated himself in complex mathematics and physics for entertainment, but never sought formal education beyond high school. When I asked him why he did not, he responded that he did not need someone else to read the books for him or explain mathematics, as he could easily teach himself faster and more effectively, as long as there were available texts (he bought many used at the local university). His sister (my aunt) was a "teacher" with an associate's degree. However, she purchased many medical texts and actually subscribed the the NEJM and JAMA. I would never "debate" medicine with her, as she was right 99% of the time, despite no formal medical education.

I have encountered other very intelligent individuals who have pursued careers which did not require advanced education and were perfectly happy with their occupation. Nonetheless, they were very intelligent people.

To me, a formal education represents:

1. dedication to complete a goal
2. willingness to engage in delayed gratification
3. some component of a work ethic
4. the ability to follow commands
5. the ability to work with others

Given a hard worker or a very intelligent person, I would take the hard worker every time if the options were mutually exclusive. There is ALWAYS someone smarter than you, no matter how intelligent you might be. As such, you can usually always learn more and also pick up educational "pearls" from ANYONE.

Old 10-16-2023, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Here's what she wrote about covid and vaccines in Sept. 2022.

It's exceedingly pro-vax.
https://www.santafenewmexican.com/op...62983e4f2.html
That only highlights the fact she has not yet reconciled her well founded distrust of medical science in general with the her trust in the medical science regarding vaccines. It’s a bizarre contradiction to be sure. But that’s what we see with beliefs. They are stubborn, and often quite illogical things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies