Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2023, 06:09 PM

43,274 posts, read 18,408,708 times

Advertisements

There are some people that equate the entire world as "US right" or "US left"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2023, 06:25 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,884,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
So, no stocking up at Costco or Sam's Club with a week's worth of food. Instead, you can only purchase a day or two's worth of food, especially if you have a large family.

They can keep their "15-minute cities."

Every time I see responses to posts like this it's easy to see who the single people are.
Nah, you take the family downstairs from your high rise apartment (which you bought from the government at a highly subsidized price) and go to the local food court for cheap options that blow your typical American restaurant, that cost many times that for dinner, out of the water when it comes to taste, quality, and nutritional value.

Singapore’s population density is 22K people per square mile.

People choose to live there because it offers one of the highest qualities of life in Southeast Asia. Yeah, you could go get the big house and the Land Cruiser instead in Malaysia or Indonesia, but a lot of people actually do prefer what the city-state offers.

Old 10-05-2023, 06:33 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,874,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Go live in NYC or Chicago or San Fran if you don’t want to own a car.

Singapore is much smaller than NYC in size.
Half the population of NYC, and 25% smaller in land area.

You definitely don't need a car. But there are lots of extremely rich Singaporeans that are willing to shell out the bucks, because there is a thriving supercar market in that country.

Old 10-05-2023, 06:44 PM

570 posts, read 301,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
So, no stocking up at Costco or Sam's Club with a week's worth of food. Instead, you can only purchase a day or two's worth of food, especially if you have a large family.

They can keep their "15-minute cities."

Every time I see responses to posts like this it's easy to see who the single people are.
It’s Singapore. Their entire country is smaller than NYC. I highly doubt ‘stocking up with a weeks worth of food’ at Costco is even a thing there.

Old 10-05-2023, 06:45 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 21 days ago)

35,690 posts, read 18,050,667 times
Why doesn't the thread title, or even the OP message, indicate this is in Singapore?

Old 10-05-2023, 06:49 PM

47,020 posts, read 26,080,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Governments are not capitalists. A government fee is not capitalism.

Capitalism is the private ownership of the means of production.

Government is neither private nor do they produce anything.
I cannot believe I have to type this: Government can enforce and encourage capitalism through policy.

Example: The fossil fuel industry owns the coal fields. That ownership is enforced by - you can say it - government policy. Those with capital get access to a scarce resource.

Roads - or, more exact, the land to build roads on - is in short supply in Singapore. And so those with capital get access.

Government can serve capitalism, and very often does. The idea that these are in contradiction is a fallacy put forward by (mostly) American economists who favor unfettered capitalism.

But again - this requires the ability to imagine several political axes, not just left-right.

Old 10-05-2023, 06:51 PM

47,020 posts, read 26,080,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdad99 View Post
It’s Singapore. Their entire country is smaller than NYC. I highly doubt ‘stocking up with a weeks worth of food’ at Costco is even a thing there.
Big Box stores is a recent development, anyway. And they're terrible for the towns they prey on.

Old 10-06-2023, 06:08 AM

29,597 posts, read 14,732,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't think we should have the draconian measures that Singapore is implementing. However, I will say this. As someone who lives in a city where a car is a necessity, the constant need for a car is a pain. If something goes wrong with your car and you live in a place where public transportation is spotty (and the nearest bus stop is 3 miles away), there will be a problem.
That's why you need more than one !

Years ago I tried the one vehicle thing...it didn't work out.

Old 10-06-2023, 06:11 AM

73,115 posts, read 62,755,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
That's why you need more than one !

Years ago I tried the one vehicle thing...it didn't work out.
I live by myself. Owning 1 vehicle, only one, is a burden for one person. Owning two is even more of a burden. The fact is I don't like living in a society where your life grinds to a halt if you don't have a car.

Old 10-06-2023, 06:15 AM

13,651 posts, read 4,964,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Go live in NYC or Chicago or San Fran if you don’t want to own a car.

Singapore is much smaller than NYC in size.
Not much. Singapore’s population is 6 million. NYC (city proper) is 8 million. The population density of the two is similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies