Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2023, 09:56 AM

5,921 posts, read 2,757,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
To ticket a speeder in the USA, you need to know the driver. A camera can only pick up the vehicle/registration. I remember California's red light camera experiment like 10 years back - everyone quickly realized they never even needed to pay the ticket or show up to court, and for those who did show up to court - just claim they weren't the driver.
Tickets were dropped in the mail. If you weren't served in person, you could just throw them out. Never received it, wasn't me driving.

Drivers would also see the camera and place the sun visor down as they approach the camera. Can't be ticketed if they can't prove who it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2023, 10:17 AM

7,911 posts, read 3,458,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I wouldn't mind that here. I go the speed limit on the interstate (70) and morons are passing me like I have my damn car in reverse. It's getting scary. Someone needs to shut low IQ drivers down.
Stay out of the left lane and you'll be fine.

Old 10-18-2023, 10:21 AM
Status: "Hello Darlin, Nice to see you - Conway Twitty" (set 8 days ago)

791 posts, read 374,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
Tickets were dropped in the mail. If you weren't served in person, you could just throw them out. Never received it, wasn't me driving.

Drivers would also see the camera and place the sun visor down as they approach the camera. Can't be ticketed if they can't prove who it is.
Not how it works. Many a yellow boot on cars have been levied out for the same premise. If you are the owner, you are responsible when it comes to infractions unless you file a police report saying it was stolen.

Old 10-18-2023, 10:29 AM

5,921 posts, read 2,757,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSLarry View Post
Not how it works. Many a yellow boot on cars have been levied out for the same premise. If you are the owner, you are responsible when it comes to infractions unless you file a police report saying it was stolen.
That IS how it worked.

Old 10-18-2023, 10:31 AM

15,825 posts, read 6,536,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
And there will probably be more accidents once people realize they are in a camera ticket zone slowing down all the sudden.
Sophistry. You can use the same argument against having police pull people over for a speeding violation; it causes passing vehicles to slow down to watch the proceedings. Handling it indirectly through cameras is therefore safer.

Old 10-18-2023, 10:31 AM

6,796 posts, read 9,347,476 times
Wait, what? Isn’t this racist or something? Can one of our forum Democrats please rush to this thread to help us to understand the Democrat perspective? Bonus points if you incorporate the phrase “black and brown” or the word “disproportionate/disproportionately.” Thanks!

Old 10-18-2023, 10:33 AM
Status: "Hello Darlin, Nice to see you - Conway Twitty" (set 8 days ago)

791 posts, read 374,744 times
Soon your engine will be shut off and your car gently controlled via XBOX controller to the nearest booking station.

Old 10-18-2023, 10:41 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
LeClaire Iowa has a speed trap camera system set up where I-80 crosses the Mississippi River.

It's "public safety" but the interstate goes past the town and in reality it's just a cash grab.

If they're getting 30 people a day on a busy interstate that's over 2k daily or close to 750k annually.

They have to split that with a private company but seems like a shady shakedown landing them about 1k per resident or more by those rough estimates.

Shady, shady, shady...

Old 10-18-2023, 10:46 AM

8,134 posts, read 3,671,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
To ticket a speeder in the USA, you need to know the driver. A camera can only pick up the vehicle/registration. I remember California's red light camera experiment like 10 years back - everyone quickly realized they never even needed to pay the ticket or show up to court, and for those who did show up to court - just claim they weren't the driver.
When they had these red light cameras in multiple cities across TX, the ticket was like a parking ticket. So, whoever's name was on the registration would have to pay it.

Old 10-18-2023, 11:19 AM

5,737 posts, read 4,694,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSLarry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
That IS how it worked.
That is indeed exactly how it worked.

The city sends the ticket in the regular mail. They cannot prove you received it, so they cannot go forward with booting your car.

When you receive a ticket from a real police officer, they have you sign the ticket as proof you received it. There's no proof of receipt with a photo ticket.

I've received several in the past; I just threw them out. Nothing ever happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies