Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2023, 09:15 AM

14,011 posts, read 5,658,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
What does this have to do with a spice drawer and make up. That’s just bizarre.
And I was not saying every item in my example of "have it and not need it" was the same or served the same purpose. I was speaking of why people have any number of things in their home/lives that other people would wonder "why would anyone need that?" The person asking the "why" is doing so from a narcissistic, self-absorbed perspective based on the belief that the world does or should think like them, and since they cannot figure out a reason to own a semiautomatic rifle, they cannot figure out why anyone else would have a reason to own one. I used examples of common, even ubiquitous items that people own that others might ask that same about to illustrate that particular point.
Quote:
Real hunters don’t use this easy method of killing.
My semiautomatic is chambered in .308. Here is Outdoor Life discussing the .308 Winchester round for hunting:
Quote:
The .308 Winchester is certainly the most successful short-action big-game hunting round in history. It’s been used worldwide on everything short of dangerous game and is a perennial favorite among whitetail hunters.

In a well-constructed action, it is one of the most accurate rounds out there and is capable to 500 yards on deer and other big game.
My .308 semiauto IS a proper hunting rifle. Real hunters have been shooting .308 at deer in this country since the 1950s. What should a real rifle season hunter be using? I specifically bought a longer barreled version of my rifle so that it is essentially a hunting rifle with greater flexibility of purpose. Given that hunting is a 1SK thing, how a second round gets chambered (manual cycling of the bolt or my gas piston doing it) is almost entirely meaningless. Neither of my precision bolt actions are chambered 308, but I am considering a .357 rifle for straight-wall regs in Ohio. I have easy access to several 308 Win states though, so my long barreled, hunting optics 308 semiautomatic will indeed suffice for "real" hunting.

But since you speak so authoritatively on "real hunters" perhaps you can clue me in to what specific firearms, calibers, barrel lengths, optics, etc are used by those folks. Regale me, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2023, 09:31 AM

29,597 posts, read 14,737,412 times
Quote:
What does this have to do with a spice drawer and make up. That’s just bizarre. Real hunters don’t use this easy method of killing.
Wrong. Many hunters use this platform for hunting, mostly smaller game though, for medium game and up, more powerful rifles are used, or a larger caliber in the AR platform.

They should have added inexpensive as well.

In interviews with TIME, leaders of 15 state shooting groups said semiautomatic rifles are popular with hunters in their states. Hunters say they favor the gun for its versatility, accuracy and customizable features for shooting animals.

https://time.com/4390506/gun-control...omatic-rifles/

Old 10-26-2023, 09:34 AM

14,011 posts, read 5,658,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Fair point. Personally, that is why i chose the AR15. I don't hunt, so i don't need anything high powered but wanted a semi auto to plink with and defend my family with, so went with a pistol version. Bonus, with the AR in 5.56...it's a weak enough round, my wife can shoot it, and our local indoor range allows it. And with the pistol version, i can toss it, and a few hundred rounds in a backpack when we travel to our rural cottage.
My reason for my semiauto in 308 took years before I settled on the specific rifle. I wanted an all in one platform that could do decently precise marksman hobby shooting, also be a capable hunting platform, and should a need ever arise, serve as both self-defense and long term survival rifle. And I wanted a common, nearly ubiquitous ammunition. I have other firearms for their rather specific purposes, and was looking for a proper "all 'rounder" platform.

That's why I have a longer (20") barrel, chambered .308, precision instead of combat optics, side mounted iron sights and most importantly, piston vs direct impingement. It created, FOR ME, the best overall performance value across multiple current and possible future uses and scenarios.

I also have access to several outdoor ranges that allow virtually any caliber, so practice time is no sweat, even using high powered cartridges.

Just one more rifle in the safe for the most part, but it has its specific role, same as the other ones.

Old 10-26-2023, 10:45 AM

50,478 posts, read 47,219,800 times
Quote:
What does this have to do with a spice drawer and make up. That’s just bizarre. Real hunters don’t use this easy method of killing.
Hey look everybody. If you have any questions about hunting you now have an "expert" to ask.

Except the whole part about the AR15 being the most popular rifle today, even for hunting.

Old 10-26-2023, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Wrong. Many hunters use this platform for hunting, mostly smaller game though, for medium game and up, more powerful rifles are used, or a larger caliber in the AR platform.

They should have added inexpensive as well.

In interviews with TIME, leaders of 15 state shooting groups said semiautomatic rifles are popular with hunters in their states. Hunters say they favor the gun for its versatility, accuracy and customizable features for shooting animals.

https://time.com/4390506/gun-control...omatic-rifles/
I hand load 80 grainers for the wife's AR. I carry one loaded in 6.5 Grendel and .50 Beowulf for starters. You can take pretty much any game animal in America with it.

Old 10-26-2023, 12:32 PM

7,528 posts, read 3,924,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I hand load 80 grainers for the wife's AR. I carry one loaded in 6.5 Grendel and .50 Beowulf for starters. You can take pretty much any game animal in America with it.
Sweet.

Those must be fun. Like shooting a FAL with an 11" barrel. j/k No really, I know a guy who has one. Real fun to shoot at night.

Old 10-26-2023, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
Sweet.

Those must be fun. Like shooting a FAL with an 11" barrel. j/k No really, I know a guy who has one. Real fun to shoot at night.
Ya, the .50 will shoot a flame with factory loads. My reloads don't.

Old 10-26-2023, 02:14 PM

25,858 posts, read 16,569,925 times
Constitutional Law is beyond the power of the brains of the vast majority of California elected officials.

They should stick to things they can grasp, like outlawing plastic bags and gasoline lawn mowers.

Old 10-26-2023, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Constitutional Law is beyond the power of the brains of the vast majority of California elected officials.

They should stick to things they can grasp, like outlawing plastic bags and gasoline lawn mowers.
They are being told to do it anyway because how long it takes to unravel it in court. There really should be consequences to pass these laws.

Old 10-31-2023, 04:10 PM

Does Bonta understand I can go into Turners Outdoors and buy an AR15 today?

https://news.yahoo.com/u-appeals-cou...004134892.html

And in the meantime, high cap mag sales in AZ and Nevada are booming

Benitez last month also ruled California's ban on high-capacity ammunition magazines unconstitutional. But the 9th Circuit subsequently allowed that statute to remain in effect while the state appeals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies