Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2023, 07:31 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I agree, there should be no lowering of standards and those that don't meet the standards should be failed.

The British Army is however a smaller force than the US Army, and can afford to be more selective, and this goes back to Britain having a traditionally small standing Army but a large Navy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
that's not hard to believe at all.

i've been on a WW2 pacific theater reading binge lately, and what our troops went thru on those volcanic islands was brutal. they had high praise for their training, which was also brutal (and which they complained bitterly about when they were having to go through it).
agree with you both

well said.

This said, I think brave new world made an excellent point, Britain having a traditionally small standing Army but a large Navy.

This is just my personal opinion, I think U.S. military should downsize. Why not having a lean, mean military? I am sorry, but if there are so many obese people in the military, it is about time to think about downsizing.

Old 10-20-2023, 07:41 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
It's a national disgrace and not just the military. A majority of Americans that I see on a daily basis are unhealthy and overweight. I see very few Americans as trim as myself (my BMI currently is sitting at 22.4)

Old 10-20-2023, 07:44 AM

6,667 posts, read 2,975,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Old test was scrapped for various reasons. Military ever since has been grappling with how come up with a gender neutral new way of measuring fitness.
Oh gawd,.../puke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Those tests are optional.
Not when I was in the Military,..lol. There were three parts. Pushups, sit ups, and running 2 miles.

This is all disgusting.

The hopeful side of me would like to believe despite lowering standards or making them 'optional' , there are still enough Solid Soldiers, men and women, that still do things and believe in the old ways. the do or die ways, oorah days. Suck it up , get it done.

I remember someone broke off of convoy and pulled over. The sergeant was so mad. The Private was like,..I had to pee. The sergeant sighed and was like, " You're in the dang Army, son."

Old 10-20-2023, 07:48 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
Oh gawd,.../puke.

Not when I was in the Military,..lol. There were three parts. Pushups, sit ups, and running 2 miles.

This is all disgusting.

The hopeful side of me would like to believe despite lowering standards or making them 'optional' , there are still enough Solid Soldiers, men and women, that still do things and believe in the old ways. the do or die ways, oorah days. Suck it up , get it done.

I remember someone broke off of convoy and pulled over. The sergeant was so mad. The Private was like,..I had to pee. The sergeant sighed and was like, " You're in the dang Army, son."
exactly!

bold is exactly why us civilians respect the people serving in the military. We have some ideas what they go through.

Old 10-20-2023, 07:54 AM

4,218 posts, read 2,458,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
It's a national disgrace and not just the military. A majority of Americans that I see on a daily basis are unhealthy and overweight. I see very few Americans as trim as myself (my BMI currently is sitting at 22.4)
People now are aggressively fat - like they want to eat all the food so no one else gets any

Old 10-20-2023, 07:58 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
People now are aggressively fat - like they want to eat all the food so no one else gets any
It's a situation of poor knowledge of nutrition including nutrition disinformation from supposedly knowledgeable sources along with poor eating discipline.

Old 10-20-2023, 09:31 AM

18,449 posts, read 8,275,501 times
now when we get attacked....all we have to do it convince them to attack us gender neutrally

same left that pushing it's ok to be fat as s&&&

Old 10-20-2023, 09:36 AM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
In the absence of superior technology, our troops wouldn't stand a chance against the psychopath savages we may well soon be facing.

It reminds me a bit of Roman military. They had superior technology and techniques. It helped them win a lot of wars. But without that advantage, in the later stages of the empire, the barbarians cut them to pieces and ultimately wiped them out.

Old 10-20-2023, 09:42 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,002,287 times
Overweight? You mean based on those old out dated BMI charts from years ago? According to those, Ray Lewis is overweight and also Derrick Henry. But carry on.

Old 10-20-2023, 10:06 AM

4,218 posts, read 2,458,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
In the absence of superior technology, our troops wouldn't stand a chance against the psychopath savages we may well soon be facing.

It reminds me a bit of Roman military. They had superior technology and techniques. It helped them win a lot of wars. But without that advantage, in the later stages of the empire, the barbarians cut them to pieces and ultimately wiped them out.
At this point, the evil empire deserves to lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies