Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2023, 02:08 AM

7,334 posts, read 3,812,806 times

Advertisements

As if no one saw that coming.

Canada Will Legalize Medically Assisted Dying For People Addicted to Drugs
Quote:
Canada will legalize medically assisted dying for people who are addicted to drugs next spring, in a move some drug users and activists are calling “eugenics.”

The country’s medical assistance in dying (MAID) law, which first came into effect in 2016, will be expanded next March to give access to people whose sole medical condition is mental illness, which can include substance use disorders. Before the changes take place, however, a special parliamentary committee on MAID will regroup to scrutinize the rollout of the new regulations, according to the Toronto Star.
https://www.vice.com/en/article/4a3b...icted-to-drugs

----------

Patient: "I'm mentally ill."
Doctor: "What's your problem?"
Patient: "I want to kill myself."
Doctor: "We can help you with that!"
Patient: "Err, okay... Wait, what???"

Yeah, no slippery slop.

Never give the government the power to kill you. If you do, they will eventually encourage it to decrease expenditures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2023, 07:02 AM

78,413 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
As if no one saw that coming.

Canada Will Legalize Medically Assisted Dying For People Addicted to Drugs

https://www.vice.com/en/article/4a3b...icted-to-drugs

----------

Patient: "I'm mentally ill."
Doctor: "What's your problem?"
Patient: "I want to kill myself."
Doctor: "We can help you with that!"
Patient: "Err, okay... Wait, what???"

Yeah, no slippery slop.

Never give the government the power to kill you. If you do, they will eventually encourage it to decrease expenditures.
I suppose we could just take the US approach and let them live in an alley until the OD on fentanyl.

Also, I'd shop around a bit and make sure you're getting the whole story.

Old 10-20-2023, 07:03 AM

20,048 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Yes! Do this in the US! Great way to get rid of degenerates and skells!

Old 10-20-2023, 07:21 AM

7,334 posts, read 3,812,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I suppose we could just take the US approach and let them live in an alley until the OD on fentanyl.
As long as they're breathing there is a chance they can recover. It's all over when you're dead. Choose life.

Quote:
From the horse's mouth.
https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/cj-jp/ad-am/bk-di.html

About halfway down.

Old 10-20-2023, 07:34 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I don't have a problem with a protocol for euthanasia for some mental illnesses. Of the close friends of mine who have died from terminal depression, before they made that final choice there was years of therapy, treatment, lifestyle changes, etc. I use the term "terminal depression" because that's the term a friend's mother used at his funeral - he had a supportive family around him, a fantastic job, a long-term partner who loved him and they all tried absolutely everything in the medical and therapy space. It didn't work.

From that perspective, I'd much rather there be an option that causes less harm to those around them compared to having to find a loved one in any of the ways one might when they die by suicide. Having a regimented process may actually reduce suicide since there would be room for intervention and likely (should be..) a requirement to demonstrate that treatment has failed. It's not like someone would be able to walk in off the street and say "I want to die today."

Old 10-20-2023, 07:39 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,509,475 times
If people are going to be made to live with clinical depression which lasts for decades and for which they have tried remedies which don't work and leave lasting debilitating side effects, then society should pay for their care. Otherwise society is simply making them suffer in pain.

Old 10-20-2023, 07:54 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,177 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

I am not sure if most severally mentally disturbed individual would even have legal capacity to even make such decisions.

Even in European countries that allow medically assisted dying in relation to the terminally ill there has to be strict adherence to human rights laws including Article 2 (The Right to Life) of the European Convention on Human Rights.

The idea that assisted dying should extend to someone who is not terminally ill is controversial, and in terms of most mental illness and drug addiction it is medically treatable, and people can go on to lead normal healthy lives.

I wouldn't even consider euthanasia in relation to a domestic pet with a treatable condition never mind in relation to a family member or human being full stop.

Whilst I am sure many Canadians are depressed and embarrassed by Justin Trudeau and his liberal government, things may get better in the future, and Canadians should bear this in mind before doing anything rash.

Perhaps euthanasia is a the sensible option in terms of Justin Trudeau and his liberal government, and I think many Canadians would vote in favour of this.

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-20-2023 at 08:16 AM..

Old 10-20-2023, 08:10 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post

Yeah, no slippery slop.

Or Trudeau will use this to take care of those pesky truckers

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
If people are going to be made to live with clinical depression which lasts for decades and for which they have tried remedies which don't work and leave lasting debilitating side effects, then society should pay for their care. Otherwise society is simply making them suffer in pain.

That's intellectually dishonest and an example of flawed logic. Nobody is forcing them to live. They are alive because their heart is beating, their lungs are filling with air, etc. Society did not make that happen. Every problem is not someone else's fault. I suppose if you absolutely must blame someone, blame their parents for giving them life.

Old 10-20-2023, 08:12 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
How about expanding it to politicians?

Old 10-20-2023, 08:23 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
How does a mentally ill person give informed consent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies