Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 06:26 PM

4,487 posts, read 3,865,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
They aren’t being flooded by third worlders like the U.S. and decriminalizing, defunding, and allowing loiterers/homeless to tent up everywhere.

Nobody is committing suicide like the U.S. is.

America is just a borderless, globalist controlled economic zone. Barely even a legitimate country now.

ByeDone 24!

I tend to agree. Forgot about the suicide rate in the USA skyrocketing also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2023, 06:33 PM

20,883 posts, read 9,569,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
They aren’t being flooded by third worlders like the U.S.
Only 53.8% of London is White
20.8% of London is Asian
13.5% of London is Black/African/Carribbean

Paris, Rome, Amsterdam and other big European cities are similar.

Old 10-23-2023, 06:43 PM

30,195 posts, read 11,840,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Last year, my wife toured Budapest, Vienna, & Prague. She said all 3 cities were thriving, spotless, orderly, and safe.

Very few empty stroefronts, no grafitti, no gangs handing out on street corners.

She saw no homeless people, but of course she was in the areas frequesnted by tourists.

She said she hasn't seen any U.S. city looking tht nice, since the 1970's.

Why are our cities a mess? Democrats mostly. The crappy parts of Republican cities & states, are Dem controlled. There are very few exceptions, but if it makes you feel good to point them out, have at it.
I go to OKC all the time. Homeless everywhere. They even panhandle to the people in the Mcdonalds drive thru. Crime is bad, shootings all over town. Big sections near downtown just taken over by the homeless. GOP Mayor and city council.

I agree the Dems can be blamed for much of it. But I don't think there is a magic solution on this. But two parties that fight all the time, can't agree on anything and put their allegiance to their "tribe" above everything else. This all won't be fixed. It will just get worse.

Old 10-23-2023, 07:12 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,006,135 times
European cities remind me of what cities in the United States where like before mass suburbanization. I have been fortunate enough to visit many European cities in the past few years. The only city which can match a European city with a high degree of energy and vibrancy is Manhattan and maybe Chicago pre covid. Even smaller European cities such as Turin and Seville put much larger US cities to shame.

The United States is a suburban society and much of the population has a disdain for anything urban. Cities where making progress from the 1980's until a few years back, but after covid and insane progressive politics it has put our cities back 30 years and I am not too optimistic that things will improve anytime soon.

Old 10-23-2023, 07:27 PM

5,958 posts, read 2,772,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Seriously - look at these numbers!

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ies-worldwide/

The US has more than 5 times the retail space per capita as the UK. No wonder so many US stores are shutting down. To even merely get down to the level of Canada would entail a big chunk of US retail closing.
That's because we were a very wealthy/financially healthy nation.

Now that we're being impoverished, retail will slowly match poorer nations like Canada and all those other Euro states.

Old 10-23-2023, 07:29 PM

5,958 posts, read 2,772,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Not really. Considering only the city proper, London has slightly more people than New York., Considering the metropolitan area, New York is about 1.5 times bigger.
Why would you only consider city proper?

FYI: That's quite possibly the worst way to compare cities.

Old 10-23-2023, 07:31 PM
bu2

24,119 posts, read 14,918,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
European cities remind me of what cities in the United States where like before mass suburbanization. I have been fortunate enough to visit many European cities in the past few years. The only city which can match a European city with a high degree of energy and vibrancy is Manhattan and maybe Chicago pre covid. Even smaller European cities such as Turin and Seville put much larger US cities to shame.

The United States is a suburban society and much of the population has a disdain for anything urban. Cities where making progress from the 1980's until a few years back, but after covid and insane progressive politics it has put our cities back 30 years and I am not too optimistic that things will improve anytime soon.
NY and Chicago are nothing like European cities. Europe doesn't have all the high rises with a massive downtown.

DC, San Francisco and Boston perhaps.

Old 10-23-2023, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
That's because we were a very wealthy/financially healthy nation.

Now that we're being impoverished, retail will slowly match poorer nations like Canada and all those other Euro states.
Canada and Australia aren't poor nations, and the US has never been 5 times wealthier (per capita) than the UK.

The US has simply been over-retailed for decades, a condition which is finally correcting itself.

Old 10-23-2023, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
NY and Chicago are nothing like European cities. Europe doesn't have all the high rises with a massive downtown.
Some of them do, albeit not usually in the center of the city.
https://www.google.com/maps/@48.8870...8192?entry=ttu - Paris
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5029...8192?entry=ttu - London
https://www.google.com/maps/@50.1081...2880?entry=ttu - Frankfurt

Quote:
DC, San Francisco and Boston perhaps.
Yes, northeastern cities plus SF are probably the closest to European ones.

Old 10-23-2023, 08:06 PM

7,188 posts, read 4,774,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
As usual you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I spent a month each in Paris and London and retail is THRIVING in Europe. Perhaps you are referring to Paris or London IN TEXAS???

The Paris and London I went to were in Europe and were absolutely mobbed with shoppers and restaurant diners. So many shops had LINES just to get in the front door I lost count.

Please show us all the photos from your recent travels to Paris FRANCE and London UNITED KINGDOM showing streets devoid of retailers.
I believe you. However, how many of those people were tourists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies