Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2023, 12:59 PM

22,266 posts, read 19,588,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
They're not my eight. I didn't vote for any of them, and I wouldn't vote for any of them, if I lived in their districts.

Two hundred and eight Democrats joined with eight Republicans to vacate the speakership. That's a fact! Those eight egotistical Republicans need to be primaried, but those two hundred and eight Democrats need to feel some kind of heat for voting to vacate the speakership and shut down our government.

Those Democrats could have said, "We don't agree with Speaker McCarthy's policies, but it would be reckless of us to vote to vacate the speakership. Therefore, we will put our party and our politics aside for the good of the country.". But, nope! Democrats put party and politics over our country.

Conversely, how do Democratic voters feel that their party sided with eight "far-right" Republicans...
McCarthy REFUSED to make a deal. He went out and slammed Democrats for almost going to a government shutdown the day before. Meanwhile, the bill got far more Democratic support than Republican support, and would have passed much sooner if McCarthy didn't refuse to hold an up or down vote on it until it passed muster with the Hastert rule.

This is on Gaetz for bringing this up to a vote, the eight Republicans who voted to oust McCarthy and on McCarthy for agreeing to the rule in the furst place. Republicans would never have voted to save Pelosi or any other Democratic Speaker from their own caucus

Old 10-24-2023, 01:07 PM

47,105 posts, read 26,237,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Unless a bunch of them vote differently from what they did behind closed doors, they're still in the same unattractive position of being extremely divided.
What, republicans lie? Surely that's unprecedented.

Old 10-24-2023, 01:07 PM

1,714 posts, read 803,899 times
How in the name of the GOD, Odin, Zeus or the Universe .. do the Republicans intend to make an argument that they can better govern the country when they still can’t even put in a Speaker in THEIR own House?

The “B Team” continues it’s clown show.

Old 10-24-2023, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
How did 8 Republicans do it by themselves? By voting in rules that only one member can bring up a motion to oust a speaker. And the Republicans made that rule all by themselves. The Democrats had nothing to do with it, and certainly would never have made such a dumb rule, but the Republicans did. I know, pretty stupid, right?
Apparently, it is the Democrats' job to child-proof Congress to keep Republicans from being hurt by their own short-sighted actions.

Old 10-24-2023, 01:10 PM

30,466 posts, read 12,054,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
By less spending on discretionary programs? Please enlighten us on the personal impact. Describe the real you on the hurt inside by a leaderless House.
Is that the bar now for everything? I think of lots of things that fire up MAGA that don't effect them directly. Just look at the titles of most of these threads for proof.

I am fine with this continuing. The less time the house is "open" the less garbage legislation that gets passed.

Old 10-24-2023, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
How in the name of the GOD, Odin, Zeus or the Universe .. do the Republicans intend to make an argument that they can better govern the country when they still can’t even put in a Speaker in THEIR own House?

The “B Team” continues it’s clown show.
Who thinks someone like Matt Gaetz or MTG has any interest in governing? It's boring and takes effort. They're there to build their brand, gain name recognition. Successful compromise requires thought and reflection and actual knowledge beyond the last 30 seconds of conversation. These just aren't bright people.

Old 10-24-2023, 01:18 PM

35,868 posts, read 21,284,503 times
Emmer seems to be da man. Just eating my pop corn

House speaker vote live updates: Rep. Tom Emmer is the new GOP speaker nominee-
https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/live-upd...es-10-24-2023/

Old 10-24-2023, 01:21 PM

19,331 posts, read 17,292,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
They're not my eight. I didn't vote for any of them, and I wouldn't vote for any of them, if I lived in their districts.

Two hundred and eight Democrats joined with eight Republicans to vacate the speakership. That's a fact! Those eight egotistical Republicans need to be primaried, but those two hundred and eight Democrats need to feel some kind of heat for voting to vacate the speakership and shut down our government.

Those Democrats could have said, "We don't agree with Speaker McCarthy's policies, but it would be reckless of us to vote to vacate the speakership. Therefore, we will put our party and our politics aside for the good of the country.". But, nope! Democrats put party and politics over our country.

Conversely, how do Democratic voters feel that their party sided with eight "far-right" Republicans...
I'm always impressed at the expectation of taking the moral high ground when its the other party that should have acted that way. Why didn't the 200+ Republicans have a back room discussion with their wayward souls and explain how detrimental their action was and to withdraw it?

Then what do they but mount a campaign to get the MAGA Poster Boy as the next speaker knowing that it will never fly all why the hardliners act offended along with their leader that their guy wasn't chosen.

I say let the current candidate pass with the bulk of the GOP support that will show the extremists that they don't run the show, the Dems can fill in the difference where needed. Or Vote for Jefferies, it will take less Republicans that way then Democrats needed to put Emmer over the top.....

Either way the gang of 8 should lose all their committee appointments that they blackmailed out of McCarthy and have them reassigned to those who are qualified and deserving of them...

Old 10-24-2023, 01:24 PM

50,574 posts, read 64,596,501 times
I haven’t seen the latest, but I’m not bothering God about that right now. I think he’s busy elsewhere.

Old 10-24-2023, 02:18 PM

100,259 posts, read 4,521,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Emmer seems to be da man. Just eating my pop corn

House speaker vote live updates: Rep. Tom Emmer is the new GOP speaker nominee-
https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/live-upd...es-10-24-2023/

And Trump has already kneecapped Emmer on Truth Social today. Called him a "globalist RINO" and that it would be "a tragic mistake" to vote for Emmer. (Only yesterday, Trump said he wasn't going to get involved in the House Speaker vote).

The clown show continues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies